It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can someone tell me how this happened with my hermit crabs?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I had this large hermit crab who was about as big as they get. He only came out at night and he would make this croaking noise. But somehow that big heavy thing was able to climb out of his cage with a lid on it and open the small door in the middle and go past my barricade of walls and boxes and climb down the stairs into the kitchen. Thats a long way down. How did he climb out of the cage which was taller than him and open the snapped down door? He must of been a pretty good climber and strong to open the door. I also had two other hermit crabs who were alot smaller, about the size of an inch and they would always get out and climb down the stairs but not in the kitchen but the computer room. I remember everyday I woke up I would go searching for them. Why do they do this? And how do they climb out of big cages with nothing that can even let them reach the top and push the door open? That barricade was strong, it had metal in it and heavy books. I woke up and I found that it was pushed open like a door. And he was in the living room. Can someone please tell me how this happens. I really want to know how do they do that.

What ever they are doing one things for certin, these crabs have a big taste for exploration.

[edit on 14-7-2006 by wildcat]

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Also another thing to add was that the two smaller ones would follow me everywhere I went and they were suprisingly fast for a little thing. Do you know why they followed me around? I spent alot of time with them out of their cages maybe that why.

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 06:30 PM
link   
It's called someone playing a trick on you.

I suspect your dog.

Or possibly the NWO, but more likely the dog. Unless your dog is working for the NWO. If that's the case I'd get out of your house right now.

-O

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 06:34 PM
link   
How would ANYONE know how your Hermit Crabs got out of the cage?

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Someone who is an crab expert. I wanted to know if they can reach that high or climb the walls but that doesnt seem likely. No one was playing any trick on me. No one could of, there was no one in the house who would. And it was a different cage than the little ones. The little ones were in a bowl that curves in at the open top and there were rocks the would of gave them a chance but the only way they could of done that which I dont know is if they leaned and grabed the edge but their legs arent shaped for that kind of action.

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Big O
It's called someone playing a trick on you.

I suspect your dog.

Or possibly the NWO, but more likely the dog. Unless your dog is working for the NWO. If that's the case I'd get out of your house right now.

-O

This happened before I got my dog, the only thing that could be the answer that these crabs are very good climbers and reachers. They can use their legs to stick on to the carpet and climb up stairs and I dont know if this is true but they can also climb down walls or they just fall off of them on purpose. These are 3 - 4 feet high walls.

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I say interrogate them.

Call in help if you need it. CIA NSA FBI, etc.

Seems they are getting just a little bit too smart.

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 08:33 PM
link   
They are insanely smart for a crab. They are also peacefull and help each other get food. But the two little ones died so I got a big one and he never came out of his shell until night then he would do some safari. The littles ones always came out of their shell and followed me around. I would put my finger to the glass and they will come over to it. Well I did catch them sneaking out once and they were helping each other get out. One got to the top - was probably lifted there and was pulling the other one up. I didnt know these things could get so smart, their smarter than my dog. But sadly I dont have them anymore.

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Wildcat,

You are not alone, with this problem..

Just Google:
escaping hermit crabs

You'll see what I mean..

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Now I see. Wow these things are darn smart and hate their cages. They help each other out. Wow I dont ever see any other animal working together with my own two eyes.

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Okay, I don't mean this to sound offensive at all so please don't take it the wrong way...

But I'm curious to know-- what exactly is the appeal of keeping hermit crabs as pets?

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 09:08 PM
link   
They are interesting to look at.
I like watching any animal behavior.
They aren't dangerous.

and, for some people, it's like easter morning, every morning..
You just hunt for legs, instead of eggs.

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 09:47 PM
link   
See...this is why I have a bird and a dog. Dog barks and does dog stuff. Bird talks to me and tells me "night night" when he wants to go to bed.

No one escapes, no one tries to get one over on me...the just...well, honestly, these hermit crabs sound like nothing but trouble.

I say you keep a good eye on them before they somehow manage to call a lawyer, sue you, and take the house. Because, you know, if I was a hermit crab that's what I'd do.

-O

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Well no offence but didnt you read what I said? I dont have them anymore. I do have a bird and a dog. My bird is obsessed with me and gets all excited when I'm in the room b/c I am the one who taught my bird how to sing and chirp. But she is too old now to talk in english but can still learn chrip talk. My dog is small and spends her day lying down in the sun. But she is not fat she is skinny and she likes it when I say, "AUH! OH Pepper how bout some ham or what about, Turkey yeah you want that dont you." Now after I fed her that too much I always see her staring at me for food when I go eat.

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 10:17 PM
link   
No, I did not read all of the posts in depth...so i must have missed that. I have also had two glasses of wine, so that might be it too.

What kind of dog do you have?

I've got an American Eskimo and he's an idiot. Actually, he's a good dog, just easily confused, but very clever at the same time, so go figure that out. In addition, he's deathly afraid of flies, and we have no idea why.

I've got a Green Cheek Conure for a big. He's cool, his name is Geoff, and he's learned far more phrases than I was told he would. Maybe it's the high protien diet I feed him...dunno.

-O

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I would ask the black orb that keeps attacking you. Its probably him, or maybe you need to tighten secuity in hermit crab land. Wow, ive never heard of someone in their 20's owning hermit crabs.

LOL@spacedoubt, legs instead of eggs...

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scyman
Wow, ive never heard of someone in their 20's owning hermit crabs.

Hey now...no need to be hatin.

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Scyman dont you ever give up? Your the reason why one of my threads got locked. Everything was going fine it was an nice and calm conversation but then you have to come over immaturely and ruin it. Like I said I had those hermit crabs a long time ago when I was like 18 or something. Now I have a dog which is a poodle and black one named Pepper.

Do you have the need to come and start a fight in my threads? Its over now and I prooved you wrong in everything you said. So get the hell off my thread and leave me alone. I dont want to fight unless you make me. Your not going to get this thread locked too. You were embarrasing your self when you were saying all this ATS Ignorance denied crap when you werent even a mod. I had no ignorance on those it was actually in a way denying ignorance because I always kept a thought that it could just be my mind playing tricks on me.

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by firebat
Okay, I don't mean this to sound offensive at all so please don't take it the wrong way...

But I'm curious to know-- what exactly is the appeal of keeping hermit crabs as pets?

Because I always thought they were cool and they arent pure carnivores like other crabs that live in water who eat all your other fish. That happened to me. So that why I decided to get a hermit crab.

posted on Jul, 15 2006 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I was always afraid of them falling off of my table and hit the wooden floor and then break their shells. Those shells arent that strong, you can easily crush them when the crabs are dead. Of course I never did that, I did that only when the one time one of my small crabs died and the other one was too big for his shell and pulled the other guy out and took his shell. He did not eat him which was a good thing so instead of throwing the dead one in the garbage I buried him nice and neatly next to my rose flower. Also you have to keep a watch on their growth, I had a hard time trying to find the right shell for the small ones once they got too big for the ones they were in. It was cool how they would come all the way out of their shells and get something to eat. It was also cool b/c the little ones were never afraid of me.

[edit on 15-7-2006 by wildcat]

[edit on 15-7-2006 by wildcat]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join