It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Multiple Mutations found in indonesia, scientists dont know why

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 12:07 AM
link   
According to Reuters scientists have found multiple mutations in the bird flu in Indonesia. and they arent sure of the significance of this.

here is a snippet:

LONDON (Reuters) - Multiple mutations have been found in the H5N1 bird flu virus that killed seven family members in Indonesia although scientists are unsure of their significance, a leading science journal said on Thursday. But researchers believe the findings reinforce the need for bird flu data to be more widely available to improve understanding of the deadly virus.

"The functional significance of the mutations isn't clear -- most of them seem unimportant," the journal Nature said in a report in the latest issue on Thursday.

An analysis of virus samples from six of the eight members of the family showed 32 mutations accumulated as it spread, according to the confidential research obtained by Nature.

So what do you all think this means? i for one dont have any expertise with this stuff. i do know that the normal flu changes every year hence the reason for a new flu shot each year....but 32 mutations in just that one region seems pretty strange. any of you have any idea what this could mean, or why this is happening? and should we be more worried now that we know this is happening like this?

EDIT: I TOOK OFF MY LINK BECAUSE THE STORY HAS APPARENTLY BEEN MOVED. IF YOU WANT TO READ AN ARTICLE ABOUT IT FROM A DIFFERENT NEWS SOURCE THE POSTER BELOW HAS PUT IN A LINK TO ONE...sorry about the inconvience.

I look forward to your analysis!
Cheerio!
Digitalgrl

[edit on 10/01/2004 by DigitalGrl]

[edit on 10/01/2004 by DigitalGrl]

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Great find digitalgurl.

Your link doesn't work, but here's one that does:

Multiple mutations in Indonesian bird flu strain

...IMO - the big problem is that info is not being shared. We need to drop the focus on Intellectual Property Rights, plus develop better systems for testing, diagnosis, analysis and info sharing.

...Oh yeah - and quit killing off our molecular biologists.

ed to add oneliner

[edit on 14-7-2006 by soficrow]

join