It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Troops in Ossetia Put on High Alert

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Here's another hot spot that has flared up !

Russian peacekeepers in S. Ossetia put on high alert - commander

"Given the threat of provocations we are adopting a set of measures to prevent them. For instance, the Russian peacekeeping battalion has been put on high alert," he said.

www.interfax.ru...

Here the provocation:

Russia’s FSB tipped about possible provocation in S Ossetia

12.07.2006, 21.10

MOSCOW, July 12 (Itar-Tass) -- Russia’s Federal Security Service (FSB) has been tipped that Georgian authorities are preparing a major provocation against Russian peacekeepers in the area of the South Ossetian-Georgian conflict during the G8 summit in St. Petersburg.

“The leadership of Georgia has developed a plan for killing 15-20 Georgians in South Ossetia. They intend to plant two corpses of Russian peacekeepers or Russian soldiers somehow in order to accuse them of the murders,” a caller told the FSB in Moscow on July 12.

www.tass.ru...

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 11:53 PM
link   
The provocations will not end.
Sooner or later, it will become
armed conflict !

Russia will stand up for its peacekeepers in S Ossetia - Ivanov

13.07.2006, 17.25

VOLGOGRAD, July 13 (Itar-Tass) - Russian Defence Minister Sergei Ivanov said on Thursday Russia will stand up for its peacekeepers in South Ossetia.

“Georgia’s armed provocations against South Ossetia are repeated and I have no doubts that such provocations will take place in the future,” Ivanov, who is also Russia’s Deputy Prime Minister, said.

“Russian peacekeepers are always in combat readiness. It is very difficult for them to remain on high alert all the time, but there is no other way out,” he said.

He urged not to forget that 90 percent of South Ossetia’s residents are Russian citizens.

www.tass.ru...

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 11:54 PM
link   
The South Ossetian Security Council Secretery, Oleg Alborov was killed by a remote-controlled bomb a few days ago. South Ossetia tries to tag this murder and the bus blast in Tiraspol on Georgia. South Ossetia, Abkhazia and Transnistria has some sort of defence pact together. Mutual assistance...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The South Ossetian Security Council Secretery has been killed by a remote-controlled bomb. The South Ossetian interior minister blames Georgia for the murder. South Ossetia sees a link between this assassination and the recent bus blast in Tiraspol.

South Ossetia has sealed off approaches to the Georgian-Ossetian border and has stepped up border protection after the murder of Oleg Alborov. Georgia denies to have any involvement in the killing of the top security official.

[edit on 2006/7/14 by Hellmutt]

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 12:05 AM
link   

And, of course, the USA is right in the middle
of this Russia/Georgia regional conflict !!

US re-confirms its backing to Georgia

" My friend, the President [Saakashvili], wouldn't be sitting here if I didn't have Georgia on my mind ", this is how US President Georgia W. Bush concluded the joint press conference in his Oval Office on July 5. Georgian President Mikhail Sakashvili, on his part, called the meeting ‘absolutely historic’.

The working visit to Washington by Saakashvili on July 4-6, having preceded by one to St. Petersburg to meet President Putin, is hoped in Tbilisi to strengthen Georgia’s position on the eve of the Russian-chaired G8 summit.

www.geotimes.ge...

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ivanova

And, of course, the USA is right in the middle
of this Russia/Georgia regional conflict !!

Yes of course. NATO vs. Russia and then mix some CFE Treaty into this. Plus the other activity in the area. Powerful mix...

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 01:18 AM
link   
I guess it could be a possible scenario. The BTC pipeline gets blown up or badly damaged. South Ossetia gets blamed for it. Or maybe nothing happens to the BTC pipeline. Whatever. Georgia attack South Ossetia and gets into war with Abkhazia as well. Transnistria support South Ossetia and Abkhazia the best they can according to their defence pact. Russians support the Abkhazian, South Ossetian and the Transnistrian side. NATO/EU/Romania would back Georgia and Moldova if all the pieces have been set up properly on the chess board. Israel? Hezbollah gets weapons from Transnistria and Israel have interests in the BTC pipeline too. Georgia/BTC pipeline will be the trigger. Israel might already be preparing for what is to come. War with Syria. They are going to secure access to the pipeline and settle some old disputes as well.

Originally posted by Hellmutt

Israel wants to transport oil from the BTC pipeline to Middle Eastern countries via Israel. They say the pipeline "will be fully put into operation in the coming weeks".

BakuTODAY.net: Israel seeking BTC transit

11/05/2006

The transportation of oil through the Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan main export pipeline to Middle Eastern countries via Israel will be possible in the future, the Israeli ambassador in Baku Arthur Lenk has said.

He said the pipe to take Caspian oil to world markets, which will be fully put into operation in the coming weeks, lies 400 kilometers to the north of Israel, which makes it possible for his country to receive BTC oil.

“I believe the issue is open and its materialization in the future looks real,” he said

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Abkhaz Defence Minister, Lt. Gen. Sultan Sosnaliyev:
"Georgian-Abkhaz war will break out when the Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan pipeline begins full operation"

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 06:46 AM
link   

If you build it - they will come !

Jul. 12, 2006 8:29

BTC pipeline to open today

The recently completed 1,700-kilometer pipeline bringing crude oil from Baku, Azerbaijan through Tbilisi, Georgia to Ceyhan, Turkey is set to be officially inaugurated in a two-day ceremony starting today (Wednesday)...

National Infrastructures Minister Binyamin Ben-Eliezer will be included in the festivities in recognition of Israel's partnership in the BTC....

Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev supports the project to extend the BTC line to Israel, the ministry said.

link to entire article

BTC brings dream of East-West energy lifeline into reality

Friday, July 14, 2006

Caspian oil reaches the Mediterranean without sailing through the Black Sea
or the Turkish Straits

The presidents of Turkey, Azerbaijan and Georgia gathered yesterday in this Mediterranean port to formally inaugurate a multi-billion-dollar pipeline transporting Caspian crude oil to Western markets through a route that bypasses Russia as well as Turkey's overcrowded straits.

Breaking a widespread pattern, the BTC pipeline bypasses Russia and the Black Sea and provides a Mediterranean outlet for the Caspian oil. The pipeline began pumping late last month and more than 400,000 barrels of oil are flowing every day.

U.S. President George W. Bush hailed the launch of the pipeline...

A pipeline that would run parallel to the BTC is planned to bring Azeri natural gas to Turkey's eastern province of Erzurum. That project is expected to become operational by the end of 2006.

The pipeline is also hailed as a step in the direction of strengthening regional cooperation and the realization of Georgian and Azerbaijani aspirations for more independence from Russia and closer ties with the West.

www.turkishdailynews.com.tr...

[edit on 14-7-2006 by Ivanova]

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Those who do not learn from history...

Oracle of Delphi

King Croesus of Lydia [the territory that is today western Turkey]
asked the Oracle of Delphi if he should go to war against Cyrus
the Great of Persia, who was quickly advancing to the West.

The Oracle told Croesus that if he crossed a river, he would destroy
an empire.

Croesus marched against Cyrus... his troops crossed the River Halys
[in central Turkey] and he destroyed a great empire - HIS OWN !

Later, as Cyrus' soldiers sacked and pillaged the Lydian capital, Sardis,
Cyrus told Croesus, My troops are plundering your city. Croesus replied,
No Cyrus, your troops are plundering YOUR city !

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Georgia seems to be too reckless and bold under that idiot Saakashvilli. With American help, he is obviously readying the country for another war. The Ossetians are also preparing for conflict from what I heard, and Russia has no intentions to get out of Abkhazia. Saakishvilli is endangering both Georgian, and Ossetians/Abkhaz with his rash actions. Of course he is a NATO puppet now, so he can get away with anything

As for US and Russia, this will only worsen their already far from good relations. Why the US is so interested in Ex-Soviet countries, and what they have to do with the War On Terror, is not very clear. Whatever it is, this is not good for Russia, and it will not stand on the sidelines for much longer.

[edit on 14-7-2006 by maloy]

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by maloy
Georgia seems to be too reckless and bold under that idiot Saakashvilli.

Couldn't have said it better myself. But since "Misha" has been president morale, welfare and pretty much everything in Georgia has got much better.....he may be an idiot, but he's a man of the people.

As for US and Russia, this will only worsen their already far from good relations.

That's scary. The US will back up Georgia....they have to much invested not to. As for Russia, I don't think they will get seriosuly involved, at this point they're all talk...I don't think they will get to much involved as to go to war with the U.S. over this, imo.

Why the US is so interested in Ex-Soviet countries, and what they have to do with the War On Terror, is not very clear.

It's very clear. Georgia has a maintained a large reenforced battalion in Iraq for over a year now, the same for other old soviet countries. And it's NOT just about the WOT....it's the long term plan, a build up of forces and allies.

EDIT: added in 'not'

[edit on 14/7/2006 by SportyMB]

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by SportyMB
Couldn't have said it better myself. But since "Misha" has been president morale, welfare and pretty much everything in Georgia has got much better.....he may be an idiot, but he's a man of the people.

I didn't mean he is an idiot in the sense that is dumb. I meant that he is covertly doing not whats better for Georgia, but whats better for his new sponsor-US. From what I heard he is a very cunning politician, and the way he and NATO (covertly) got rid of old president Shevardnadze, was actually a well mastermided coup by Saakashvilli. And him being smart and rash, only makes the whole situation than much more dangerous. He will use similarly cunning tactics to fight back against Russia and the separatist Ossetians and Abkhaz.

As for Transniester, it can offer no help to either republic, thats what Russia is there for. Tranzniester needs help itself, is it is currently blockaded on all sides by Ukraine and Moldova- also the work of NATO and EU.

That's scary. The US will back up Georgia....they have to much invested not to. As for Russia, I don't think they will get seriosuly involved, at this point they're all talk...I don't think they will get to much involved as to go to war with the U.S. over this, imo.

Exactly. US invested hunders of millions of dollars in both coups in Georgia and Ukraine, and they are not going to let their new puppets out of their control. No of course there won't be a war because of this between US and Russia, but this might pave the way for a future Cold War nonetheless. US stopped supporting Chechen separatists, and moved on to bigger fish now. Similarly Russia is increasing its influence in Iran and Syria, as well as South America (Venezuela). US is the one provoking this new race however.

It's very clear. Georgia has a maintained a large reenforced battalion in Iraq for over a year now, the same for other old soviet countries. And it's just about the WOT....it's the long term plan, a build up of forces and allies.

Well this all started with WOT. Ukraine, Lithuania, Latvia, Poland, Moldova, Romania, Georgia, Azerbaijan, and a few Central Asian countries, all went under the influence of US in the years following 9/11. WOT was an exuse to start increasing American influence around the wolrd. I can tell you that Russia and Russians are very unhappy about all this, but most of all about Ukraine. Ukraine is a brother country to Russia. Language, history, culture, religion are all shared by the two countries. Yushenko is gonna get kicked out of Ukraine in a few years, when the people understand he has been using them. Saakashvilli is not so dumb however, and he is actually popular in Gergia despite the fact that he is using Georgian people in a much bigger global game, then just a conflict between it and Ossetia.

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Sorry double post

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 04:42 PM
link   
"but most of all about Ukraine. Ukraine is a brother country to Russia. Language, history, culture, religion are all shared by the two countries."

www.ibiblio.org...

Yeah... like... big buddy brothers... BULLROAR! The Russians look at the Ukrainians like simpletons. Hicks.

My god man.

Get a history book.

-VMX (Ukrainian)

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vis Major X
"but most of all about Ukraine. Ukraine is a brother country to Russia. Language, history, culture, religion are all shared by the two countries."

Yeah... like... big buddy brothers... BULLROAR! The Russians look at the Ukrainians like simpletons. Hicks.

My god man.

Get a history book.
-VMX (Ukrainian)

I don't need a history book. I spend most of my life in both countries, and I know about local population's perceptions regarding this matter. Ukrainian nationalism is a relatively new phenomenon, and looks to be very short lived. You can assure yourself as much as you want to about how badly the terrible Russians treated Ukrainians. But the truth is that they are the same people, who always lived in the same country.

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Last year veterans of the Ukrainian Insurgent Army and veterans of the Soviet Red Army clashed in Ukraine. WWII veterans!!

World War II Veterans Clash In Ukraine

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Any time now this situation is going to break wide open !!

Detention of Russian delegation a provocation - Foreign Ministry

14/ 07/ 2006

MOSCOW, July 14 (RIA Novosti) - Russia's Foreign Ministry said Friday that the detention of a Russian delegation by Georgian military police near the border with the breakaway region of South Ossetia was a provocation.

The ministry expressed concern over the increasing number of Georgian provocations in the zone of Georgian-Ossetian conflict, including today's "terrorist attacks" in Tskhinvali, the capital of the self-proclaimed republic in Georgia.

A Russian diplomat said earlier that a Russian delegation had been stopped after entering South Ossetia by the Georgian military police, 16 miles from Tskhinvali.

en.rian.ru...

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Georgia is cruising for a bruising !!

Georgia: Blocking Russian WTO Bid

July 14, 2006 15 23 GMT

The Georgian government will not back Russia's World Trade Organization (WTO) membership bid until all issues related to Russia's "discriminatory customs regime" against Georgian exports are resolved, Georgian Foreign Minister Gela Bezhuashvili said July 14. Russia must now renegotiate its accession agreement with Georgia and reach a WTO deal with the United States before it can enter the WTO.

www.stratfor.com...

Georgia Recalls Approval of Russian WTO Membership

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Georgia shouldn't forget its relative size and power to Russia. Russia is on of the largest and strongest countries in the world. Georgia is a minor player in world affairs. Thanks to US however, it is now the second most powerful (militarily) Ex Soviet Union country after Russia. And why would US be arming Georgia to the teeth of all of its allies? it doesn't border any terror supporting nations. Sakashvilli has something under his sleeve with this new BTC pipeline.

On the sidenote, US is also supporting Azerbaijan. That could spell out future problems for Armenia, which is now surrounded by semi-hostile states.

posted on Jul, 15 2006 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by maloy
And why would US be arming Georgia to the teeth of all of its allies?

Strategic location

Sakashvilli has something under his sleeve with this new BTC pipeline.

Like you said, 'Misha' may be cunning and slick, but I think he's being pawned around by the U.S......The pipeline, imo, is a small piece of the pie that would really not make a difference if it were there or not.

Georgia and Armenia are the two only countries that we (the US) could set up camp and have bases at cause noone else really wants us there. And Armenia is a far stretch (for the reasons you listed below)...so that leaves Georgia.

On the sidenote, US is also supporting Azerbaijan. That could spell out future problems for Armenia, which is now surrounded by semi-hostile states.

Exactly
I hate to bring religion into this, but it all boils down to Islamic nations versus Christian nations.

Sporty

maloy, Where did you live in Russia? Ever been to Georgia?

[edit on 15/7/2006 by SportyMB]

posted on Jul, 15 2006 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ivanova

If you build it - they will come !

link to entire article

This is
in light of the recent events...

The Jerusalem Post: BTC pipeline to open today

Jul. 12, 2006

National Infrastructures Minister Binyamin Ben-Eliezer will be included in the festivities in recognition of Israel's partnership in the BTC (Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan) project, the ministry said, adding that Ben-Eliezer intends to advance an "infrastructure corridor" bringing oil, electricity, water and natural gas from Ceyhan to Israel.

Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev supports the project to extend the BTC line to Israel, the ministry said.

I bolded a few parts

Related ATS Thread:
Gigantic Oil Pipeline From Caspian Sea Opened Today (The BTC (Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan) project)

The assassination of Oleg Alborov and the Tiraspol bus blast might be related to this coming war too I guess...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join