It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Is ATS Showing Off My last Threads On Google?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I'm not new to ATS but my ideology recently changed a big deal. However, when you google my real name which is the same as my username my last 250 posts are showcased as the number 1 hit for my name.

I can't go back and change the stuff I wrote, even though I no longer believe that stuff. I repeatedly asked ATS to delete my posts prior to July 7, 2006 but I haven't had a response.

I feel that this is going to affect me personally and this isn't fair. I am only 21 years old and I'm hoping ATS doesn't keep this as the number one hit for my name for the rest of my life.

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Well, look at it this way; how many people are going to look up your name on google, who would even think to do so?
It's also a good idea to NOT use your real name, for this exact reason, as I am sure you realise now.
Start over with a new handle and have the Admins delete ALL your posts and your username.

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I'll be somewhat surprised if they do delete all your previous posts. Not only will it disrupt the flow of threads, it takes away context, and like it or not, who you used to be provides context. I'm pretty sure the policy is that posts stay. Hard lesson to learn about using your real name, but welcome to life on the Net.

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Actually if you google any members screen name their ATS postings pop up as well.

As far as I know the only threads that do not show up on google are RATS and of course the super secret fortress of solitude threads the moderators use to plan their slow but steady take over of the world...I mean discuss board business, that's right board business.

I've googled myself a couple of times and my ATS threads are always the first that pop up...though I do feel slightly dirty afterwords and spiderj is a pretty popular screen name on other sites.

That warren ellis is a genius.

EDIT to add, this isn't meant as a criticism but you using your real name as your screen name was a big mistake if you want to keep your anonimity.

Spiderj

[edit on 7/13/2006 by Spiderj]

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Dude spidr, thats a funny avatar!

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Thanks,

Yeah the old one died a few months back and that one just cracked me up and seemed very appropriate for ATS.

Spiderj

[edit on 7/13/2006 by Spiderj]

MMP

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 09:53 PM
link   
When I Google my user name there are 80 pages of results. I checked probably 20 random pages and none of them listed ATS. Hooray for me!

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Toadmund
Start over with a new handle and have the Admins delete ALL your posts and your username.

While starting over with a new handle might not hurt, it's highly doubtful that admin will delete allof your posts or even your user name. Mainly because it would cause major disruption in the threads that you have posted on.

The could put you on a "global ignore," but again that can have adverse effects on the threads.

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 10:03 PM
link   

You know what I found when I searched my name? I found my OLD membership on ignorancedenied.com! I tried everything to log into this name when I started posting in April, then I just signed up with the same name. If anything, now I can see exactly how long I've been around!

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rickey Gerard Perez
Why Is ATS Showing Off My last Threads On Google?

Just curious here, Rick. ?

How is ATS responsible for search results returned from Google. ?

Please. I don't mean to seem condescending here, But, You obviously registered your actual name on a Very large Internet discussion board, made numerous posts under said username, and now wish that all be stricken from the record. ?

It would seem to me that Your "request for removal" should be directed more towards Google than ATS. ?

???

Think about it. !?

$.02

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Your posts are a part of history whether you like it or not. What is done is done and what is said is said. You can't change history. I guess you'll have to live with your past.

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Actually, just to add, the very reason that I like this, is because it adds a large degree of responsibility on my part. Not only to ATS members as a poster with others am I responsible, but this shows exactly how we also owe a responsibility to this entire site as a poster. I use the same name for everything I do, and that is important to me. I can first of all look up how I have grown and changed over the years, and I can always reference something from earlier in life, if and when I need to pull something up that I've done before. My real name? Well, that's there too, but it's not associated with this site, though it wouldn't bother me terribly if it was.

I think this is a shining example though, of how everything we do on here, other than RATS/mod forums is a permanent impression on ATS as a site. Look at it as a virtual scrapbook of your online life, and where you have gone, what you have become.

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Rickey Gerard Perez, whay did you use you real name anyways? Just curious. I agree with Hellmutt....what's done is done.

I suggest you change your name...your real name

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by SportyMB
Rickey Gerard Perez, whay did you use you real name anyways?

I would add Rickey Gerard Perez, why did you post this as a thread topic? I mean I never thought to google my real name until you posted this.

Seems to me if you were really concerned you should have emailed the mods and not posted. Seems this way just draws more attention to yourself?

Just my opinion

my real name netted ist hit a proffesor, 2nd a movie star I can live with that
my handle came up with a lot, including a Sumerian God!!

But its okay I won't let it go to my head... I promise...

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 11:54 PM
link   
I posted this after I had not received a response for a while in U2U's but I recently got one. I thought asking here would speed up the process. Well anyway if it's going to be marked down in history and Springer can't help then just know that all my posts pre July 7th, 2006 were when I had a different ideology. So don't use my old posts against me on ATS in the future

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 12:55 AM
link   
You would probably be better off regesitering using an anonymous name and to refer to this account. (You must let this account 'die' though and not use it).
It won't change what's already recorded but you may find it useful if you have a manic moment or change of heart in the future.

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rickey Gerard Perez
I posted this after I had not received a response for a while in U2U's but I recently got one. I thought asking here would speed up the process. Well anyway if it's going to be marked down in history and Springer can't help then just know that all my posts pre July 7th, 2006 were when I had a different ideology. So don't use my old posts against me on ATS in the future

Makes me want to check out your posts and see just what kind of radical you were

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Ricky's profile shows that he registered on 31/12/1969

What's up with that?

Sporty

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I think if this is really going to cause you life problems then you will find it easier and cheaper to go to a court and get your legal name changed.

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by SportyMB
Ricky's profile shows that he registered on 31/12/1969

What's up with that?

Sporty

I think it's some sort of default.

If you logoff, and than view any thread, everybody has that date, as their registration date.

When you logon, it goes back to normal.

As for Rickey, who knows. Might be the longest member?

Okay, I see it now. Admin must have granted his wish. Sort if.

If you notice, he has no status, either.

Mystery solved!

[edit on 7/14/2006 by Mechanic 32]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join