It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Proposed, Canadian miniature satellites.

page: 1

join
share:
jra

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 06:40 PM
link   
A group of Defence Department advisers have suggested that Canada should build and launch its own low-cost miniature satellite network to monitor the artic regions of the Country.

www.canada.com...

The micro-satellites, which cost about $10 million each compared to hundreds of millions of dollars for a full-size satellite, could help support Canada's claim of ownership over its northern territories, according to the report obtained by the Citizen. "A micro-satellite program is the only effective method of achieving a continuous and comprehensive coverage of Canada's landmass and airspace," notes the report prepared by the Defence Science Advisory Board.

Micro-satellites are small -- less than 100 kilograms -- and can be built and launched within several years by Canadian industry. It would cost between $3 million and $10 million to launch such spacecraft.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I personally think this would be great. Not just for the sake of keeping an eye on the Canadian artic region, but to develop a space building/launching industry of our own. If Canada can create a low-cost system of developing and launching satellites, who knows if other Countries/business might want to use that. But it's impossible to say either way as to how it could turn out.

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I highly doubt we will develop our own LEO or higher launch platform. Da Vinci and the Canadian arrow are capable of only reaching Suborbit and that's all we got atm. It would be easier and cheaper to just make a bunch of Micro/Nano sats and hire someone else to launch them all at the same time(or in multiple launches with smaller payloads, depending on the risk/reward ratio).

Stratellites should be looked into as well as that could cut costs even further.

BUT what good are these tools without the Sea forces to cover such a vast territory? I don't think we should accept US "help" in that area(aside from NORAD).

join