It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kevorkian says he wouldn't choose suicide

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 11:17 AM
link   
LINK

DETROIT (AP) -- Jack Kevorkian, whose failing health may deny him a chance to be paroled, said he still believes in assisted suicide but would not choose it for himself.

Kevorkian is being held at the Lakeland Correctional Facility near Coldwater in southwestern Michigan. He is eligible for parole in June 2007 but his attorney, Mayer Morganroth, has said he doubts he will live that long.

In court papers, Kevorkian's defense lawyers say he weighs 113 pounds, resembles a "walking cadaver" and "can barely walk and no longer has the energy to read or write."

The Michigan Parole Board has rejected four of Kevorkian's requests for early release.

My reason for posting about Kevorkian is not to take a pro or con stance against what he did to be convicted and sentenced to prison. It is the irony of him assisting so many persons to their death and now death may be coming quickly for him.

He sat at his trial and read books, seemingly refusing the most basic participation in it and now he "no longer has the energy to read or write."

I wonder if he is getting scared to face what he "helped" so many others face in their last days.

JDub

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Something along the lines of 'do unto others....'

He's the grim reaper. He knows what awaits him.

2 cents

[edit on 7/13/2006 by Mechanic 32]

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 12:22 PM
link   

posted by BlueTileSpook

DETROIT (AP) -- Jack Kevorkian, whose failing health may deny him a chance to be paroled, said he still believes in assisted suicide . . Kevorkian is being held at the Lakeland Correctional Facility near Coldwater Michigan. He is eligible for parole in June 2007 but his attorney has said he doubts he will live that long. In court papers, Kevorkian's defense lawyers say he weighs 113 pounds, "can barely walk and no longer has the energy to read or write." The Michigan Parole Board has rejected four of Kevorkian's requests for early release. JDub
[Edited by Don W]

Religion run amuck! I cannot but help think the repeated prosecution of Dr. Kevorkian was religiously motivated. And likewise, except for religious beliefs why should he have been denied parole? This is violative of the 1st Amendment, the 8th Amendment and the 14th Amendment. Religion run amuck.

Several years ago I wrote him a short “thank you” note and sent it to his prison address. I enclosed a half dozen stamps as prisoners often have little money and the state does not furnish stamps. In about 2 weeks I got a letter with his return address in the upper left corner. I opened the letter with a large amount of enthusiasm until I saw I had received a 3 page xeroxed copy explaining his basic thesis, the “right to die.” I was disappointed but then, Dr. Kevorkian was and old man and maybe he got too many letters to respond to individually.

For those of you who want to choose your own date of death, there is the Hemlock Society which has published a short book on how to kill yourself. It may or may not be on Amazon dot com. To me, suicide is a choice that others need not to interfere with, when that choice is made privately and by a person who is rational. Bridge jumpers and others of like ilk loose that right when they want to take it public. I am always sorry to learn a young person committed suicide. Unless that person is suffering from a medically diagnosed incurable disease.

I don’t understand the philosophy behind anti choice persons; I don’t understand the philosophy behind anti suicide persons. People should keep their noses out of other people’s personal business . If you don’t like it, don’t do it. I thought this was a free country? See 1st Amendment.

[edit on 7/13/2006 by donwhite]

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by donwhite

And likewise, except for religious beliefs why should he have been denied parole? This is violative of the 8th Amendment and 14th Amendment. Religion run amuck.

From the same external source:

"Essentially prisoners seeking early release are asking the state to overturn minimum sentences passed by juries, judges and courts. It is not done lightly," said Russ Marlan, a Michigan Department of Corrections spokesman.

Whether Marlan is right, wrong or indifferent, that was the reasoning that he put forth about it.

JDub

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 12:42 PM
link   

posted by BlueTileSpook

From the same external source:

. . prisoners seeking early release are asking to overturn minimum sentences passed by juries and courts. It is not done lightly," said Russ Marlan, a Michigan Department of Corrections spokesman.

Whether Marlan is right, wrong or indifferent, that was the reasoning that he put forth about it. JDub

Well, a poor excuse is better than no excuse at all. If it is true it costs $25-$40,000 per year to keep a poisoner behind bars, then I seriously question the judgment of those who are so enthusiastically “spending” the taxpayers money.

I do thank you JD, for furnishing the answer to my first question. My remarks are not aimed at you, as you explained in your original post.

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 01:24 PM
link   

I don’t understand the philosophy behind anti choice persons; I don’t understand the philosophy behind anti suicide persons.

I think it is because most people have never been low enough physically or emotionally to understand how bleak and barren a person's life can seemingly become in their eyes.

My statement doesn't take into account that that personal view can stem from a medical condition that skews the person's perspective toward hopelessness, but I personally know a few people that hear the word "suicide" and will completely stop and walk away from a conversation because they cannot handle the thought of the word and its connotations.

Regardless of the reason that the person sees their life as being worthless, he or she can find no idea, object or person at that moment that is worth continuing to live life for.

Absolute darkness.

People should keep their noses out of other people’s personal business . If you don’t like it, don’t do it. I thought this was a free country? See 1st Amendment.

I think this is due to society's ingrained idea of "saving" someone from death, but we fail those people because of statements like, "Well, I knew he was probably suicidal but I did all I could to help him by telling Joe to go see his doctor or priest."

The kid that the woman was talking about was 19 years old with a chronic health condition that was not terminal. Joe shot himself two years ago. His suicide note said no one "listened to him."

We can't stand to see someone near to killing himself so we send them for psych evaluations and, as a society, forget about them.

The same with terminal care patients. Send them to a hospital, send them to a nursing home.

My grandfather was in a nursing home for a year before he died of complications from several mini strokes. He experienced only brief periods of cognizance during his last days. He went from, "Take me home with you so that I can die somewhere besides this place" to asking me to end his life. I couldn't do either for him. The first because of the mandatory overtime hours at work so I was unable to be home to take care of him and the second because I didn't have it in me. I would have had to of taken his life because he didn't have enough mobility or where-with-all to do it himself.

Ah, enough of this.

JDub

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 03:34 PM
link   

posted by BlueTileSpook

I think it [concern for others] is because most people have never been low enough to understand how bleak and barren a person's life can become . . Absolute darkness. I think this [spontaneous intervention] is due to society's ingrained idea of "saving" someone from death . . The kid was 19 years old with a chronic health condition that was not terminal. Joe shot himself two years ago. His suicide note said no one "listened to him." The same with terminal care patients. Send them to a nursing home. [A warehouse to die in.]

My grandfather was in a nursing home He went from, "Take me home with you so that I can die somewhere besides this place" to asking me to end his life. I couldn't do either for him. The first because of the mandatory overtime hours at work so I was unable to be home to take care of him and the second because I didn't have it in me. I would have had to of taken his life because he didn't have enough mobility or where-with-all to do it himself.

Ah, enough of this. JDub [Edited by Don W]

The industrial revolution changed our historic relationship with the nuclear family and destroyed the extended family. And neighbors. Our ancestors were very much interdependent. The old barn-raising I’ve read about not only involved the donating of sweat, but often times people brought their own particular skills, necessary for a good hanging door, or a proper slope to a roof. Useful skills. Given willingly. Voluntarily.

As relates to the 19 year old and your own grandfather, we are not skilled in counseling nor in care-giving. Once upon a time, to “care” for another meant to watch them die, maybe to hold their hand. Feed them by hand. Change their bed linens. Bathe them. And etc. Nowadays, a person would be prosecuted if he failed to call 911. We are so compartmentalized, so specialized, we know so much more today than we knew yesterday, that we have to “follow” the lead of others.

I don’t have children - on purpose - but I have 3 grand-nieces, 11, 13 and 15. The older 2 belong to my nephew, the youngest one to my niece. The 15 year old is giving us fits. The other day we were at the lake (in GA) riding a jetski and we asked her to put on her lifejacket. She said, “Why? The water parol is not around.” Ugh! She was downloading ring tones onto her cell phone and her younger sister reminded her she had just spent $18.95. Didn’t faze her.

Well, you can’t employ physical violence - corporal punishment - and at 15 they are too big even if you could - they can hit back. Yet, you cannot raise your children much differently from the majority pattern. Otherwise they will stand out at school in the wrong way. So you wait for them to reach 18 and hope they do “right.”

Ah, enough of this.

[edit on 7/13/2006 by donwhite]

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 04:09 PM
link   
DW -

The "Ah, enough of this" wasn't directed at you. It was my frustration showing from my own original post bringing back memories to me. The wife and I just discussed some of this last night, so with today's discussion I had to log off and walk away for a couple hours. No slight was meant for you.

I have a 17 year old that is trying to do things similar to what your 15 year old niece is doing. A month ago, after many stern warnings from me, he sent over 300 text messages on his cell phone that cost me $0.10 a piece equaling $30.00 in extra charges. His excuse? "I didn't know it cost anything."

If only it was still legal to beat a child... *sigh* I am joking about that, so no one jump to any conclusions.

My younger son just finished up 3rd grade this year and some of his classmates were bringing cell phones to school so that mommy or daddy could check on him throughout the day. My son felt left out because he asked me if I would get him one and I told him no, that he didn't need one. We had a long talk and he understands that he doesn't need one, but it has kind of pushed him into the "have not" crowd in his class. I don't want to make him stand out, but I won't break my rules on what is a neccessity and what is a want.

I know what you are saying with the nuclear family issues. I have Amish relatives that have built homes on their property for their parents to live out their later years in, and the kids usually stay close to them by buying property in the same area and living just down the road. Yes, it sure has changed.

DW, thank you for your time and consideration on this.

JDub

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 04:15 PM
link   
So? I don't go to church and I never will, but I would fight for the freedom for others to do so. The proposed argument has no basis in reason; it's merely being used to push personal agendas.

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 04:28 PM
link   
No agenda on my side on any of the items brought up.

Let him sit or let him out of jail? That's up to the judges to decide.

A person has a right to commit suicide if he or she has a terminal illness? Yep, I think so, but I also understand why we have the laws we do about assisted suicide.

We don't take care of our sick and dying? Yep, I know firsthand that we don't and I don't expect people to take care of me in my last days.

Teenagers have always been "rotten" to some extent since the beginning of time? Yep, I realize that when one of my kids are being mouthy or a butthead. I deal with it the best I can and try to raise him to be respectful to himself and others.

Okay, I guess that last one *is* an agenda.

JDub

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Hey, BTS, It was my pleasure.

I once knew a fellow who said his name was Blue Goose. I was only 10-11 years old, so he was probably putting me on. OTOH, other adults around him and me did not blink when he said that and I do know his employer called him Blue Goose.

Hmm?

Later.

new topics

top topics

join