It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do people want to die?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 06:57 AM
link   
So many threads on these boards apparently glorifying war.

So many people predicting the end of the world.

Every time someone farts in the Middle East, I see threads appear telling us its WW3.

If Bush sneezes its WW3. If Bin Laden puts a tape out, its WW3. If the price of oil goes up, its WW3.

And if its not WW3, then its an asteroid/comet/Aliens from Planet X/the NWO/some super virus that is going to kill us all.

It seems that a large chunk of the ATS population has an apparent death wish.

So why is that?

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 07:09 AM
link   
War is bad.
Regardless

But when your world is run by greedy corporations, oil controlling governments, curropt war mongers.. a war is needed to remove the cancers of civilisations.

I want the nxt war here, so we can remove the cancers on this planet and have mankind reset to a proper living.

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Either because they hate to live or because they have some glorified (usualy religiously instilled) perception of a life after death thats pure bliss.

Noone should care about stories of an afterlife because they are still stories and when you die after a life of warloving/mongering and hatred and supporting death and destruction, you have 50% chance that you go into oblivion and become cosmic dust and 50% chance you go to hell.

Whats so great about killing and purpously dying then hu?

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 07:26 AM
link   
War is sometimes a necessary evil. But even this statement does not mean that all wars are just.

So often throughout history, wars have been fought also, upon false pretenses; countries have been deliberately provoked; often times wars are started for no other reason than to conquer territory and steal the land.

This is not an easy issue to resolve in a short post. And I don't believe that the majority here deliberately glorifies war, or has a death wish.

As far as predicting the end of the world, there have been doomsday predictions all throughout history. Especially when Religions are involved.

And there is an abundance of evidence to suggest that the next world war will be nuclear. That in itself infers mass destruction of very large regions. Hence the predictions of the end of the world.

I hope not personally. I know this world is pretty screwed up, but it beats the alternative. And then again, some say that total world destruction is part of the master plan.

2 cents.

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 07:28 AM
link   
with regard to the middle east issue. we all have heard people talking about how the middle east will have a massive war, it seems people have talked about it for a long time.

we all just know that the middle east can not go on the way it is, and eventually something will spark it. both sides seem willing to push each other to the brink.

whether it satrts now or in the future, it probably will happen, because the way things are there, no one wants to live next to each other and both seem to hate each other. sooner or later these things will come to the top and just explode.

when nobody knows, but do israel and america really want to wait until iran has the bomb.

with regard to the end of the world stuff, it probably mainly comes from mankind wanting to starting something new. like we end one time and begin a better time after some period or events.

book of revelation is supposed to be about, ending one period of time and entering another, and is not about us ending it all in one big bang. what ever happens mankind will go on.

[edit on 13-7-2006 by andy1033]

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 07:41 AM
link   
I believe that the majority of posts concerning gloom and doom are not there because people want to die, but because they want to live. In my opinion, those who worry the most about the end of the world, are worried because they don't want it to end.

It is my theory that if so many people really wanted to die / be killed in a war / suffer throug the end of the world, then they probably wouldn't post anything about these things.

Add to that the fact that ATS is a conspiracy related site, so what are we going to post about? The moment that the government conspires to make me healthy, rich, and good looking, I'll be sure to post about that.

I think you can probably understand how fear of an event would produce a certain mindset and result in many posts, and that if some worldly organization brought about the war that would destroy our planet then that would represent the final and ultimate conspiracy.

posted on Jul, 15 2006 @ 12:42 AM
link   
You know, I don't understand why it isn't within the realms of possibility that wars can be averted and avoided. The majority of earth's residents don't want war and don't want to die. It is bred into us, we are "desensitised" to mass killing, all our history, wars have been fought and so this is an acceptable means to continue.

Our military are 'heroes' and death in battle is 'honorable'. Wars and their participants are glorified and the opposition are tyrants, evil and oppressive.

Sapiens are primitive creatures and we are programmable without realising it. The corrupt powers know it and have their own agendas. If you polled the planets population and asked if they want peace, you would get an overwhelming yes, so how is it that wars are waged and on the frequency that they are. We are not in control, you have far less freedom than you think you do.

You ask if this or that country shouldn't have the bomb. The USA have it and have used it, they scare the hell out of me, more than any other country. You don't think every country in the world is terrified of the US war machine? or at least portions of their population are.

If Iran and Korea had nukes and the US didn't, what would Americans think about that? They would be up in arms demanding it as a necessary means of defence. Then say the world then says 'No' you can't have it. Then what?

Frankly it's scary and it can only go one way. We are not learning by our mistakes, we are not waging peace. We are not approaching the worlds problems in the right way, people know it and they know they are unable to stop it. IMO, that's why there is doom and gloom, it's rolling over the horizon and they're all crapping their pants waiting for the inevitable.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I think in a way most of us are just programmed into expecting bad things. Think about when you wake up in the morning, how many of us say "Today is not going to be a good day, I know something bad is going to happen." And then think how many say "Today is going to be a great day, something good is going to happen."

I think if we can learn to expect good things, it will manifest itself.

I have yet to see a headline saying "World Peace expected in the year 2020."

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   
It is really simple OP,

80% of people on here think EVERYTHING is a conspiracy.
I can't wait till 2012 so I can flame on all the tards that built shelters and stocked up on canned foods.

I know how you feel, I have been on ATS for like 4 plus years (mainly as just a reader) and I used to really enjoy this site but it is really going downhill and quick.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
We are drawn to the darker parts of life. Sometimes it fuels paranoia.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by neformore

What they loved is now gone. Knowledge is taking away their fantasys and they are left with only the prospect of ridicule untill the last of their ignorance is removed.

Some people dont want the truth. They just wanted happiness through what ever lie was most effective.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by neformore

Some people just can't help but diving into negative energy. They love it, the breathe it. Expecting the worst from everything- The oh so evil government, the evil cops, the evil neighbourgh's cat, etc.

Their focus is on THE END - when it should be on the CREATION-

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Several different things are going on.

People glorifying war and people reveling in "doom and gloom" are not the same thing. A lot of people glorify war in order to feel tough and strong, due to a sense of perceived powerlessness and weakness in their real lives. They feel that by merging their selves with "war frenzy" they attain a sense of power. Most of these people have never seen a real war or they wouldn't be so quick to glorify it.

As for more general pessimism, this is a different issue and probably caused by several factors. Some psychologists have proposed that certain people have an ingrained bent towards pessimism. This serves survival needs by pointing out to the "tribe" possible worst-case scenarios and allowing people to speculate and prepare for the worst. But of course it can be carried too far.

Also, for many there is an attraction in apocalyptic scenarios because its a great social leveler. If TSHF, you won't have to worry anymore about your mortgage or the fact that your brother-in-law is rich and you are poor, or all the "I should have done XYZ" regrets, or the fact that you wish you had taken a different job or married your old girlfriend when you had the chance, etc etc. An apocalypse is attractive because it makes all these concerns and regrets irrelevant. Of course, it also means death and pain for most people, but in their fantasy lives people don't consider that so much.

Finally, there is a very real sense that things are spinning out of control, that the MSM and TPTB aren't telling us the truth, and that the old ways of life will soon no longer be possible. This is a true instinct based on hard facts, but it intertwines with the more psychological factors mentioned above.

top topics

join