It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Jesus Day' in Texas.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 07:47 AM
link   
An interesting find on snopes.com...

Claim: By proclamation of Governor George W. Bush, 10 June 2000 was 'Jesus Day' in Texas.

Examples: [Collected on the Internet, 2000]

Throughout the world, people of all religions recognize Jesus Christ as an example of love, compassion, sacrifice and service. Reaching out to the poor, the suffering and the marginalized, he provided moral leadership that continues to inspire countless men, women and children today.

To honor his life and teachings, Christians of all races and denominations have joined together to designate June 10 as Jesus Day. As part of this celebration of unity, they are taking part in the 10th annual March for Jesus in cities throughout the Lone Star State. The march, which began in Austin in 1991, is now held in nearly 180 countries. Jesus Day challenges people to follow Christ's example by performing good works in their communities and neighborhoods. By nursing the sick, feeding the poor or volunteering in homeless shelters, everyone can play a role in making the world a better place.

I urge all Texans to answer the call to serve those in need. By volunteering their time, energy or resources to helping others, adults and youngsters follow Christ's message of love and service in thought and deed.

Therefore, I, George W. Bush, Governor of Texas, do hereby proclaim June 10, 2000, Jesus Day in Texas and urge the appropriate recognition whereof, in official recognition whereof, I hereby affix my signature this 17th day of April, 2000.

Origins: Yes, it's true. Texas Governor George W. Bush

signed a memorandum on 17 April 2000 proclaiming 10 June to be 'Jesus Day' in Texas, a day that "challenges people to follow Christ's example by performing good works in their communities and neighborhoods."

The proclamation was viewable in the Governor's section of the the web site for the State of Texas, but only the last few months' proclamations are kept on the site, so this one is no longer available.

Note, however, that Governor Bush did not simply decide to create an arbitrary 'Jesus Day' for the State of Texas. His proclamation was issued in support of a national celebration of Jesus Day, an annual event supported by proclamations from other governors and mayors throughout America as well.

Last updated: 30 July 2000

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Good, Jesus' teaching are great and worthy of day but, you should be celebrating Jesus and living His teachings everyday! Yes I'm a Christian! GO JESUS!

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 09:10 AM
link   
to celebrate, I am going to emulate Jesus and hang out with a bunch of dudes, talk philosophy, and see if we can get a prostitute to join us as well....

We're going to skip trying to turn the water into wine though, or the loaves into fishes, and just pull into the supermarket...as miracles aren't as easy to do nowadays...

[Edited on 27-10-2003 by Gazrok]

posted on Oct, 28 2003 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Yeah, Good 'ole Bush seems to have missed the church and state separation thing in the Constitution.

Therefore, I, George W. Bush, Governor of Texas, do hereby proclaim June 10, 2000, Jesus Day in Texas and urge the appropriate recognition whereof, in official recognition whereof, I hereby affix my signature this 17th day of April, 2000

It seems to me that this would have been better left for a Church to declare, than a Governor. I mean, the whole idea of Separation of Church and State is to keep the state from imposing it's religious beliefs on the people and to keep the Church from imposing it's beliefs on the state. I realize that this is just a call to Christians to perform good deeds and express their faith publicly. On the surface, this looks harmless, but it's declaring the state's preference for one religion over another. That, as we all know, can be VERY dangerous. Especially, when he is now the President.

He's also officially declared this last week as:
Marriage Protection Week, 2003
By the President of the United States of America
A Proclamation
Marriage is a union between a man and a woman, and my Administration is working to support the institution of marriage by helping couples build successful marriages and be good parents.

To encourage marriage and promote the well-being of children, I have proposed a healthy marriage initiative to help couples develop the skills and knowledge to form and sustain healthy marriages. Research has shown that, on average, children raised in households headed by married parents fare better than children who grow up in other family structures. Through education and counseling programs, faith-based, community and government organizations promote healthy marriages and a better quality of life for children. By supporting responsible child-rearing and strong families, my Administration is seeking to ensure that every child can grow up in a safe and loving home.
www.whitehouse.gov...

posted on Oct, 28 2003 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I have no problem with Jesus day!

But yes everyday should be jesus day if you are a christian.

Good bless Texas!

posted on Oct, 28 2003 @ 11:40 AM
link   
im from Texas and ive never heard of such a thing.

posted on Oct, 29 2003 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
to celebrate, I am going to emulate Jesus and hang out with a bunch of dudes, talk philosophy, and see if we can get a prostitute to join us as well....

We're going to skip trying to turn the water into wine though, or the loaves into fishes, and just pull into the supermarket...as miracles aren't as easy to do nowadays...

[Edited on 27-10-2003 by Gazrok]

Why don't you emulate Jesus and save a prostitute also?

Maybe if you could perform a miracle, you'd save yourself from yourself???

posted on Oct, 29 2003 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Well if there is just one Jesus Day, that leaves 364 Un-Jesus Days to celebrate.

After you take off the Christmas season. And Easter. And Lent for that matter.

What festivity that normally took place on 10 June was commandeered by the retarded son of a former President who proclaims he has direct channels to God?

In the name of Christ, what a crock.

posted on Oct, 29 2003 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
Well if there is just one Jesus Day, that leaves 364 Un-Jesus Days to celebrate.

After you take off the Christmas season. And Easter. And Lent for that matter.

What festivity that normally took place on 10 June was commandeered by the retarded son of a former President who proclaims he has direct channels to God?

In the name of Christ, what a crock.

How can you assault any christian who claims knowledge from His creator??

Just because you are a idol worshiper doesn't give you a right to degrade Bush's faith.

Did he slam Buddhist's ...............NO......

I will though....................because I am mean now.

posted on Oct, 30 2003 @ 12:22 AM
link   
I don't degrade Christians, or anyone else, for their faith.

I degrade George W Bush as often as possible, because it's necessary, even though he does a good job of it himself. I think his faith is hypocrisy and deceit, certainly nothing to do with Christianity.

posted on Oct, 30 2003 @ 03:23 PM
link   
how about a "celebrate each others belief day", or "global acceptance day". i say more holiday's that aims at humanity as a whole, on behalf of freedom, love, etc. it's not like we need another christian holiday.

posted on Nov, 3 2003 @ 02:18 PM
link   
If people really believe in Christianity can't they celebrate it and do good deeds without it being a state occasion? We already have to listen to Christians telling us that we are living in sin and face eternal damnation at Christmas and Easter ( at least more than on most other days ). They shouldn't be allowed to declare under state law that a certain day should be centred around their religion. Fundamentalists just have no respect for other people. Hypocrites.

posted on Nov, 3 2003 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Why don't you emulate Jesus and save a prostitute also?

Hehe...knew I'd get somebody's goat...

C'mon, Mary Magdellan, former prostitute, starts hanging out with Jesus and his buds... They didn't exactly drink soda or tea those days with dinner, it was wine... Son of God, whatever, do you really think that Mary didn't give it up? (and likely to most of them..???) Seriously....if she didn't, THAT would be a bloody miracle!!!

posted on Nov, 3 2003 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Jesus...How many GOD-D*MN days does he need???
2000 thousand years later and you still dont get the point???!
Time for a philosophical change, me thinks

The way up is the way down - Lao Tse

posted on Nov, 3 2003 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Pretty cool,If i was a texan i would come and join.

posted on Nov, 3 2003 @ 08:52 PM
link   
cool! June 10th is the day after my birthday! If he'd chosen June 9th I'd be even more impressed!! Ying Yang!!! ;-)

curious though...George W Bush seems to be the very antithesis of Christ and all he stood for. Find it very jarring when he even speaks the name, let alone pretends to be some promoter of, or adherent to the teachings. All part of his hoodwinking and brainwashing the masses, I guess. Does he really think warmongering, greed, lust forpower and environmental destruction are what Jesus would have approved of??

I think not.

new topics

top topics

join