It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calling My Fellow ATS'ers: i want to do something to help,but i need your advice

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 02:56 AM
link   
a couple of days ago i saw a documentary on north korea on CNN. it was about people smuggling out video, risking their lives just to show the world what it is really like for the people living there. i was in tears. i had..no idea how bad it was there. and i guess, none of us really know because that place is so secretive. being a 20 year old college student in america, (and most of you know me since ive been coming on here forever) i couldnt help but be appreciative for all the things i have, and yet feel so guilty that the people there have nothing. and i know there are places in the world were people live in poverty etc...but this place, the immense secrecy, and their leader kim who is completely insane, the crimes against humanity just really resonated with me and i cannot let it go.

here is why i need your advice. i want to do something to help. but i have no clue how. its one thing when it is a place like africa, or iraq, or even people who are in need in america because we have access there. but north korea is so secluded, its not like i could just go take a trip there. i did go to seoul korea, which is 30 miles from the border and when you look across its like a bomb went off, and thailand, and let me tell you that place is filled with poverty as well. but i was there with my college for 12 days studying history so, again limited time and being a a young college student, limited resources.

i have considered donating some money to red cross or something but i dont want to if the money isnt even going to make it to the people. i dont want to line kims pocket with my cash. so can you guys give me some advice on what you think would be some good and effective ways to help/make a difference? i really want to go about this in a way where it can be of some help ya know. so please....suggestions? i could really use them, i dont even no where to begin.

Thanks a bunch guys,
Digitalgrl

[edit on 10/01/2004 by DigitalGrl]

mod edit: On the internet all caps counts as shouting, shouting isn't needed.

ABOUT ATS: General ATS discussion etiquette (review link)
4) Most of all, do not use ALL CAPS in posts and thread titles.

ABOUT ATS: General ATS discussion etiquette3) Try and spell-check and get your gramma/syntax correct. Very often, your credibility will be judged by how well you present your thoughts as a well-written post.

[edit on 13-7-2006 by UK Wizard]

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 04:09 PM
link   
First off, you don't know that anything you see on TV is really real. All that stuff about Korea sounds like propaganda, like they are buttering you up for believing that that country needs some humanitarium 'regime change' or some such nonsense. So I say let Korea handle Korea's problems, and turn your charitable instincts to the home front, where thousands of Americans have been disenfranchized out of their own homes. Buy a street person an ice cold beer. I'm sure he would appreciate it.

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 04:35 PM
link   
DigitalGrl,

I applaud your intentions and efforts to help others less fortunate than yourself. However, I don't see where a monetary donation, to any relief or humanitarian support group, will find it's way to those you desire to assist, as sad as that may be.

Perhaps, just say a prayer, or prayers, for those you feel are afflicted by the North Korean regime's deprivation towards their populace, and direct your available monies towards those you can help in your immediate area. ?

I feel certain that there are many needy folks within walking distance of your residence/home who would more likely benefit from any such donation or assistance.

Unfortunately, and as much as we may want to assist, there are certain situations whereby said efforts may prove futile. Even with the best of intentions, there are some situations where the efforts may be best served "right outside our front door", instead of half-way 'round the world.

I'm not meaning to detract from your feelings of sorrow, nor willingness to assist, but, sadly, sometimes it's just a fact of the reality that exists.

Again, I applaud your desire and effort.

$.02

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I think N.Korea is going the way of the USSR,its arms spenditure is out of controle,
as people starve,

I think all this missile stuff is their odd way off trying to engage with the world,
S.korea is forging trade links,china now has woken up to them, and good old kim isnt immortal like his brainwased country may belive.so a change will come.

and where was kim today,its open time,just down the road from me,
i hear his 1 hell of a golfer.10 holes in 1 in his 1st ever game!

and wonder what he made of team America.

i agree sending money wouldnt reach the people u indend

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 02:40 PM
link   
yea i wasnt planning on sending money just because i know it probably wouldnt get to them. and i know there are people right outside my door that need help here in america, i work at a hospital in the ER as in registrationon 3rd shift (has nothing to do with my degree just a job until im done with college) and so i see people all the time that i try to help and lend a ear to and some comfort. that is sort of the reason why i took the job when i got out of highschool. i dont want people to think i dont care about america because i really do

as far as the documentary i saw being propaganda, i dont think it was, but even if it was my feelings of saddness and wanting to help them were geniune, and think that is what really matters in the end.

thank you all for your input!

Digitalgrl

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 02:48 PM
link   
That's very nice of you, but i agree with the rest, any money you might send there would never reach the poor, unless you happen to know a poor family there. I suppose there would be ways to find people, but you will be rewarded for your intentions alone.

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 01:47 AM
link   
thanks dg. yea everything is so blocked off there..i dont think there is anything i can do, but pray for them. i definatly wasnt going to send money. i cant even trust red cross to give the money i send them to where it is supposed to go.

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 02:03 AM
link   
If you are not an American(and I understand the original poster is) you can go and visit NK yourself. I just recently read a long thread by a Russian guy who went on vacation there(I don't remember where I found the thread but it wasn't ATS) and he posted something like a hundred photos he took while there. And yes, I'm sure it really is as bad as that documentary said. Mostly the thing I noticed was how grey the whole place was. I do not have an eye for art and even have completely bare walls in all the rooms of my apartment but, MAN, that place looked drab to me.

Vas

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 02:28 AM
link   
I have recently been to an international chat online and had the opportunity to talk to a couple of NK girl's.
They told me they were very afraid and really couldn't do nothing but pray for this to all blow over. Unfortunately, "Government's don't take the little one's ideas into consideration."
They were very polite to me and they disclosed that they new what war is and does, for it is all thier country know's apparently. They told me they would like to see the USA and other place's of interest to them, but it made me sad to even realize that there was nothing I could do but offer my empathy and friendship via the net.
They were 14 and 16 yr's old and had the fear's of some one from thier 60's.

My heart is with you Digitalgirl, and all we can do is "Pray for them."

You are very compassionate, and that is something that we need alot moe of in this troubled world, "Bless you Digital and all that feel the same about all those people that don't want anything to do with this situation..."

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 02:41 AM
link   
This is why it makes me sick when people in the USA, Britain or Australia and Canada etc say "We have no freedom" and that the government is "brainwashing" them.

At least we get to talk about it and express our opinions freely. Look at what North Korea has to deal with.

I would also give money if I could. But I am not even going to slightly risk for a second Kim Jong getting one cent of money.

new topics

top topics

join