It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia and China Partner up Against Iran

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 05:15 PM
link   
In a move not often seen Russia and China have come on board with Europe and the U.S. to support U.N. sanctions against Iran if they do not halt there nuclear weapons program. This move is even more important because both Russia and China are trading partners with Iran. A security council will be sought to halt the enrichment of uranium. Should that fail the next step will be punitive measures.

www.nytimes.com
Russia and China, crossing a major diplomatic threshold in the international effort to curb Tehran’s nuclear ambitions, agreed to join the United States and Europe today in seeking a United Nations Security Council resolution ordering Iran to freeze its nuclear activities or face sanctions.

The movement toward a resolution reflects increased anger over Iran’s refusal to respond to an international offer of economic and energy incentives in exchange for halting its enrichment of uranium, a step involved in building nuclear weapons.

Agreeing to start down a road that could lead to punitive sanctions is a major change in policy for Russia and China, both commercial partners of Iran that have long resisted attempts by the United States and Europe to punish Iran at the United Nations.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This more does surprise me somewhat. However I think the more important aspect is that both China and Russia do see a danger hear. Not only is Iran seeking nuclear weapons but also missile technology. That would be a bigger threat to both Russia and China. The article does state that it is far from that all the certain if all of the countries will impose sanctions when it comes time to do so. If nothing else this does seem to be the UN functioning in the capacity for which it was created.

Related News Links:
www.mercurynews.com
www.iht.com
www.mosnews.com
en.rian.ru

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Iran Nuke Program
Disappointing Response From Iran
Iran begins feeding nuclear centrifuges in Natanz

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Perhaps the West finally convinced the two that if they helped attack the country they could all split the natural resources found in abundance

This definetly limits Irans ability to negotiate the way they have been.

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 06:19 PM
link   

nuclear weapons program
What is this crap? There is not even a slight proof of this.

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Like I've said before I really doubt the reality of this. I think something will get passed
but it will be very watered down and have no teeth. A nuclear Iran is almost inevitable, it's a better policy to try to change the regime rather than change their nuclear ambitions IMHO.

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 06:32 PM
link   
As much as I want to believe this.. so much, I am afraid this is most likely a bluff.

I am still convinced Russia, China, NK, and Iran have a secret mutual protection act together and I believe they are trying to bluff out the U.S. in hopes that the U.S. invades Iran and then the time to strike for them will come.

I hope the U.S. knows what they're doing and I hope I'm wrong.

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Dyepes,
I have felt if Russia would take over Iran and the U.S. were not to opose it, maby that reagon would be easier to deal with. I dont really see that hapening or the idea of divideing up the resorceses either.
Thanks for giveing your idea.

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Isn't the title of this thread not only misleading, but innaccurate- especially for an ATSNN submission? Russia and China did NOT "partner up" against Iran, no more than they "partnered up" with the rest of the veto-wielding UN countries. Come on folks, let's get the story straight please, and not allow our quality on ATSNN to drop so easily.

Also note from the article:

Russian officials were also concerned that any resolution not open the door for eventual military action against Iran.

With statements like this I am more inclined to go with dj said: "Like I've said before I really doubt the reality of this. I think something will get passed
but it will be very watered down and have no teeth."

When it comes down to the nitty gritty of getting Iran to halt enrichment, should it take military action after sanctions, Russia, at least, is out of the support column.

Could this be just another disguised attempt, and this time maybe even more coordinated, to allow Iran more time to secretly persue its program?

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Techsnow
As much as I want to believe this.. so much, I am afraid this is most likely a bluff.

I am still convinced Russia, China, NK, and Iran have a secret mutual protection act together and I believe they are trying to bluff out the U.S. in hopes that the U.S. invades Iran and then the time to strike for them will come.

lol well I don't see Russia and China striking anyone in NATO anytime soon. But I think it would be a mistake to occupy Iran. If anything, we could destroy the nuclear reactors. Or maybe Israel can do something. If Israel went into the region though it would enflame the Arab world. But we should get something out of this whole fiasco. We bomb Iran to make that part of the world more safer. We should just let Russia deal with them once Iran has nuclear weapons and missiles to launch them
We spend millions of dollars, and just face higher oil prices? lol, doesn't seem very fair. I seriously wish America would just withdraw troops from EVERYWHERE. We have resources, military, and cheap labor in our good old North America.

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 07:56 PM
link   

EXACTLY.....

If you noticed they did the same with Iraq, convincing the U.S that Iran was a threat to the U.S. with all the intelligence and evidence, which they themselves helped plant in Iraq, and then claiming to the world the U.S. had no reason for going to Iraq.

Probably the same thing will happen with Iran.

These countries want the economic meltdown, and literal destruction of the U.S. if possible to make a new economy in which they will have control over.

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
Isn't the title of this thread not only misleading, but innaccurate- especially for an ATSNN submission? Russia and China did NOT "partner up" against Iran, no more than they "partnered up" with the rest of the veto-wielding UN countries. Come on folks, let's get the story straight please, and not allow our quality on ATSNN to drop so easily.

Also note from the article:

Russian officials were also concerned that any resolution not open the door for eventual military action against Iran.

With statements like this I am more inclined to go with dj said: "Like I've said before I really doubt the reality of this. I think something will get passed
but it will be very watered down and have no teeth."

When it comes down to the nitty gritty of getting Iran to halt enrichment, should it take military action after sanctions, Russia, at least, is out of the support column.

Could this be just another disguised attempt, and this time maybe even more coordinated, to allow Iran more time to secretly persue its program?

How is this title at all misleading? This is linked to the NY times and the times says the same thing as this title? Did you click on the link?

And RetinoidReceptor I'm not saying that Russia and China are going to strike. I am saying that Russia and China, as well as NK and Iran, are trying to bluff the U.S. to attack NK or Iran (most likely Iran) and then Russia and China will attack the U.S.. Then it will be official WWIII.

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 08:01 PM
link   

These countries want the economic meltdown, and literal destruction of the U.S. if possible to make a new economy in which they will have control over.

Totally agree with you. This is the real threat, not the sand raccoons in the desert playing with bombs.

EDIT:

And RetinoidReceptor I'm not saying that Russia and China are going to strike. I am saying that Russia and China, as well as NK and Iran, are trying to bluff the U.S. to attack NK or Iran (most likely Iran) and then Russia and China will attack the U.S.. Then it will be official WWIII.

Right I know what you meant, and like I said, they will not fight against NATO anytime soon. Both their militaries and economies are not strong enough.

[edit on 12-7-2006 by RetinoidReceptor]

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 10:14 PM
link   

How is this title at all misleading? This is linked to the NY times and the times says the same thing as this title? Did you click on the link?

Yep, sure did...The question is- did you?

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by RetinoidReceptor
Right I know what you meant, and like I said, they will not fight against NATO anytime soon. Both their militaries and economies are not strong enough.

[edit on 12-7-2006 by RetinoidReceptor]

Iran in talks to join alliance against West
From Oliver August in Beijing

MAHMOUD Ahmadinejad, the Iranian President, held talks with Chinese and Russian leaders at a summit meeting yesterday to build up a security grouping in opposition to the US and Nato.
Mr Ahmadinejad was invited to address a meeting of the Shanghai Co-operation Organisation (SCO), a China-sponsored proto-alliance that aims to strengthen defence links across Central Asia.

In an implicit reference to the US and its pressure on Iran to end its nuclear weapons programme, he said that the SCO could “ward off the threats of domineering powers to use their force against and interfere in the affairs of other states”.

www.timesonline.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 10:51 PM
link   
First off, Iran is not actually a part of the SCO.

And like I said, Russia and China not only cannot fight a war against NATO, but they won't. Not for Iran.

Mod Edit: Big Quote – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 13/7/2006 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 11:17 PM
link   
While it would be nice if all the permanent Security Council members send a clear unified message to Iran, I will wait till the resolution is passed be for I clap.

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I wonder what, if anything, may have been offered to gain such support. Russia and China have been very reluctant to join the west in demanding Iran give up their nuclear ambitions or face sanctions; however, enough time has passed since this first came up that the two could legitimately be called obstructionists if they continued to adamantely oppose such measures. In other words, I think they had ridden that horse just about as far as it would go.

I think the U.S. has shown remarkable restraint in not taking some sort of unilateral action before now.

[edit on 12-7-2006 by Astronomer70]

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 05:04 AM
link   
Hear is a link that has some new information.
Now it is being called an "ultimum" and the nations invalved will be seeking a UN security councile resolution.

www.latimes.com...

new topics

top topics

join