It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video Camera Recommendation?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 04:26 PM
link   
We have never had a video camera and I'm thinking it's about time. I don't want anything fancy or expensive, Just something I can take vids of the dogs and cats and their antics.

What do you guys have and how do you like them?

Thank you!

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 05:20 PM
link   
BH, perhaps, look here.

reviews.cnet.com...

Obviously, I would recommend a Digital camcorder. If for no other reason than to allow for Ease of transfer to your computer and other medias.

Personally, I have/use a JVC GR-DVM70. It records to a Mini-DV tape [digital] as well as saving still shots to a memory card. A few years old, but it works for me. Original list was around $1,400. However, a year old and barely used I paid less than $700, and that was with extra batteries. [Ebay] I've had it for 3+ years now and it still does the job well.

Today, I'm sure you could find something in the $350-$500 range that will not only suit your needs but will also have better overall capabilities than my JVC. The link above shows a starting range of less than $200, but I would recommend looking mid-range to ensure initial and down-the-road satisfaction.

Hope this helps. ?

By the way ... Got Skype, yet ?

$.02

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Hi BH

Check out this page of Sonys..
sony mini DVs

the mini DV's are very handy for transfer like 12m8keall2c said.
Record to tape or memory stick.
Sonys "night shot" feature is pretty cool..
Even in the daylight, I was able to see through the smoke of a Wildfire, to see where the flames were located.

a couple of the higher end ones in this series offers, time lapse on the shutter..(which I didn't get, but wish I did)..That way, you can watch a flower open, or the sun set, or make animations, if you get bored!

And of course..the all important feature the EASY button..It really has an easy button..!

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Thanks guys. I didn't even know there was a difference! Anyway, I just spent a crapload on a dog, I'm not sure DH is going to go for this. But I can try.

Thanks.

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Well good luck...!

And remember:
"It's ok to spend a crapload on a dog, because you will get it back..manyfold."

posted on Aug, 3 2006 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Anyone want to spend a few minutes with this review and give me some feedback?

Sony-DCR-HC96

Thanks!

posted on Aug, 3 2006 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Try one in your hand before you buy it. Make sure your fingers can comfortably reach the buttons without requiring a two-hand approach. Particularly the 'zoom' button.

Shoot for a camera with the largest viewing screen available. I selected my Samsung based primarily on the screen size.

The mini-DV with a card slot for stills is a good choice. The film cartridges are small and easy to tote in quantity.

Plan on buying a spare battery.

Don't forget one of the most important parts! Make sure it will transfer images to pc via firewire. Equip your pc with a firewire card if not already. Get some editing software. Its much more fun to be able to edit and mix your video.

new topics

top topics

join