It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

elements in the universe-are there any more

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 07:07 AM
link   
I have a frind who is very into physics and he stated "we are aware of all the elements, the periodic table is complete". I argued that 100 years ago they said they had all of the elements but were wrong. Is he correct and we know of them all, or could it be the case as i imagine that there are other elements out there but there are such a small amount of them that given the distribution of material in a galaxy/the universe we are only aware of the ones in out "corner" of this galaxy?

What are your thoughts on this?

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 07:09 AM
link   
You can theoretically make more and more dense elements. I'm not up on this subject, but I'm fairly sure man has synthesized elements not found in nature (at least not here) already.

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 07:15 AM
link   
From what I remember from uni. classes on Atomic Physics is that you can make larger and larger atomic elements (Higher atomic mass, more sub-atomic particles).

But they can only exist in the lab for a few nano-seconds before they decay into simplier elements.

So yeah you can, but why would you want to.

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 07:22 AM
link   
well im thinking of "exotic elements" that sort of thing, im probably wrong but it would be cool !!!

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Actually I was wrong. It is actually possible to produce some stable elements above the normal 110 mass limit.

This is quite a good site on it LLNL Heavy Elements

I think the goal is to make the nucleus a perfect sphere in order that all the forces are balanced.

I knew I should have listened in Physics. But it was a 9:00 am lecture on a Monday morning and that was not the best time to be doing quantum mechanics (is any time a good time).

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 07:31 AM
link   
is 9.00am good for doing anything at all?

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 07:32 AM
link   
currently...our present atmospheric pressure/temp does not allow us to create these elements(keeping in mind that we only have 92 elements today), think in the terms of ratio, how many more elements are out there if the earth counts as nothing (null) in space? there are other elements out there

furthermore..... i believe in the existence of the element 135, more on this topic will be posted in the area51 sector

top topics

join