It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the power of thought and the word conspiracy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 03:54 PM
link   
would u agree that the word conspiracy carries a connotation that imply's some nuttiness , or wackiness or something made up, and that by this word alone some people decline to think critically about something dismissing it

what if you simply replaced the word conspiracy with ALTERNATIVE theory

and in a world where u can see people rewarded for the best marketing (the best way to modify i.e manipulate people's perceptions and beleifs to make a dollar) and where greed leads to "successs" wealth while often using immoral i.e lies, deceptions manipulations which we try to justify to get there i think everyone deos this including u and me (to different degrees)

is it really hard to beleve in this screwed up world in which we live in that the stories we get by the people who are so great at there art are not entirely true and often times misleading purposefully

legitamite alternative theories are a dime a dozen and when looked at thru a more realistic perspective u can look a capatalistic world in the eye and tell they lie all the time.

feel free to criticize or protect your own perception of reality

[edit on 12-7-2006 by cpdaman]

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 07:28 PM
link   
The reason the connotation of 'nuttiness' exists is due to the desire of the population to want to believe in the government.

IMHO, this is a carry-over from the post-war mindset of the victorious nations. You would have been hard pressed to find anyone believing anything which ran counter to what the official governmental line was in say, the '50's or 60's. It wasn't until the early 70's that there was widespread questioning of the leadership.

I think the 'wacky' connotation is something that is fading quickly.

The interesting comment is when you mentioned capitalism and the driving force behind 'selling'. The old adage about 'selling refrigerators to Eskimos' comes to mind as I thought about what you said.

ie. You don't need my product, but, by the time I'm done raving about it, you'll want it anyways.

It also makes me think of that current ad for a Hummer, where the woman buys one just because someone jumped the line for a kiddie slide ahead of her child..totally insane reasoning to buy a military vehicle to stroke the ego...and yet, there they are, talking people into buying these massive vehicles at a timre when gas prices are at an all-time high.

The real meat of your post isn't the changing of the word conspiracy, it's the exposing of the fallacy that 'buyer beware' is no longer the relevant warning it used to be.

edit for spelling

[edit on 12-7-2006 by masqua]

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 11:21 AM
link   
There is a duplicate thread by the same author here. Please feel free to add to the discussion there.

cpdaman please check your U2U's (click here).

Closing thread.

join