It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Classic Horror

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I want to leave this open for everyone to discuss the classic horror or just GOOD HORROR in general....

I use to run a forum for gaming and cult movies....I have a pretty good knowledge of all horror movies...esp. 1970's and 80's Italian horror...

Let’s start off with discussing David Lynch...
If you are familiar with him, then you should know about his amazing surreal film Easerhead (1977)....anyone seen this?? If you did, what do you think of it? I personally loved it...but I have to say the Mulholland Dr. (2001) was amazing...just about anything he does....I'm sure some of you have seen Blue Velvet (1986) Anyone familiar with him, share your thoughts and we can get some interesting topics going....

What about some old classic Italian Horror...I'm a big zombie movie lover so naturally George Romero's zombie movies are some of my favorite....
1968 Night of the Living Dead, 1978 Dawn of the Dead, 1985 Day of the Dead, and finally 2005 Land of the Dead.....did anyone see Day of the Dead? I def. liked it a lot....
Now what about a little more blood and guts...Anyone a fan of Lucio Fulci's flicks??
He did Gates of Hell, Zombie....
Also some good but gory Italian horror is the Cannibal films....
Umberto Lenzi's Cannibal Ferox (AKA Make Them Die Slowly, 1981)
Ruggero Deodato's Cannibal Holocaust......

I thinks this is a good start....just trying to kick off some topics to discuss....
Let this be an area where all you true horror movies fans and non fans can talk about the real horror/gore!!

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 04:12 PM
link   
When you said "Classic Horror" I think you meant horror films from the 1930s through 1960s! The good old black-and-white stuff! Oh well...

As far as Italian horror goes, the only film I've seen is Argento's "Suspiria," which was excellent, but more along the lines of a gory crime film (giallo) than horror film. I'll take some of your suggestions here and put them on my Netflix queue.

It's interesting that you bring up George Romero's zombie movies -- it's always been my opinion that his brilliant "Night of the Living Dead" is the dividing line between old-school "classic" horror and the current state-of-the-art modern horror. His edgey, documentary-like camerawork (probably necessitated by his lack of budget,) blew out the traditional high-production-value Gothic aesthetics that characterize the classic Universal Studios and Hammer Films pictures.

Here's a question I'd like to discuss here: Does a horror film need a supernatural element to be truly considered "horror?" Are pictures like "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" or Rob Zombie's hilarious "House of 1000 Corpses" truly horror films, or to the function more like an Argento or Bava giallo? Or, it just occurred to me, Hitchcock's "Psycho?" Horror film or psychological crime film?

What do all you horror buffs out there think?

Baack

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Eraserhead as horror? I would have never considered it as such.

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I adore horror movies.

Argento and Fulci are geniuses. I will never watch Cannibal Holocaust because I'd be too busy crying about the very real death of animals for our viewing enjoyment.

I really like Wes Craven's early work. Last House on the Left was one of the most disturbing movies I have ever seen and The Hills Have Eyes was brilliant.

Another great horror classic is Black Christmas. Margot Kidder was just amazing in this movie. And of course, the Sleepaway Camp movies. I can't wait for Return to Sleepaway Camp.

Originally posted by Baack
Does a horror film need a supernatural element to be truly considered "horror?"

I think a supernatural element is completely unnecessary for horror movies, but I'm not going to complain if they put one in.

[edit on 12-7-2006 by Duzey]

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Horror movies..................what a beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeauty.

Here's my list

The Old Dark House

Freaks

The Little Shop Of Horrors

Creature from the Black Lagoon

That's pure classic.

I also dig stuff like Killer Klowns From Outer Space (the title says it all), and low budget surreal horror stuff.

Eraserhead ain't classic horror; but it has horror in it for sure. I'd just say that it's pure cinema (or good cinema if you prefer)

In todays cinema i think that Rob Zombie is reviving the classic horror genre in a fine way. Cool charters, funny plots, dark humor. It just works and its way better than pseudo-horror like Saw, The House of Wax and bull# like that.

Wanna see gore?

Try seeing some stuff by Takeshi Mikee: i'd sugest Ichi the Killer and Audition.

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Well when I think classic I think from the start of motion pictures up until the 1960s. But if we are going to go into the 70s I'll throw some in too.

I love The Creature from the Black Lagoon. One of my childhood favorites. Night of the Living Dead is brilliant. The Thing From Another World is great old sci/fi horror, and Them is very good too. House on Haunted Hill is a very good old horror film. Nosferatu is one of the best films ever.

Psycho is a favorite of mine as wel..

I don't consider David Lynch to be horror per se. His movies are brilliant, but I don't think horror applies. Sure there are horrifying moments (The man from behind the diner in Mulholland Dr.) but not enough for horror. What he did that was very unsettling was Rabbits which is a "tv series" that you can download. I highly recomend it.

The Wickerman isn't horror per se, more of a psychological and thematic drama, but still it is a superb film. The last fifteen minutes or so are chilling.

I haven't seen any Italian horror yet. I'm very famliar with Fulci however (though I haven't seen any of his movies). They would play Susprisia on Fox Movie Channel a lot when I was younger and I saw the preview and it scared the crap out of me.

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I think that man behind the restaurant scence in MDR is the best single scence in cinema in the last years (the best=my favorite). It's POWERFULL. That's genious.

Coll thing about classic horror its also the art related to it: most of the posters of mentioned movies are just outstanding. We don't see that style these days (The Devils Rejects has a cool poster though)

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 09:54 AM
link   

When you said "Classic Horror" I think you meant horror films from the 1930s through 1960s! The good old black-and-white stuff! Oh well...

I was just brain storming to try to get some topics started...talk about it all.

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrExtravaganza
Horror movies..................what a beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeauty.

Here's my list

The Old Dark House

Freaks

The Little Shop Of Horrors

Creature from the Black Lagoon

That's pure classic.

I also dig stuff like Killer Klowns From Outer Space (the title says it all), and low budget surreal horror stuff.

Eraserhead ain't classic horror; but it has horror in it for sure. I'd just say that it's pure cinema (or good cinema if you prefer)

In todays cinema i think that Rob Zombie is reviving the classic horror genre in a fine way. Cool charters, funny plots, dark humor. It just works and its way better than pseudo-horror like Saw, The House of Wax and bull# like that.

Wanna see gore?

Try seeing some stuff by Takeshi Mikee: i'd sugest Ichi the Killer and Audition.

Easerhead I categorize it has horror...b/c to most that would see it... (Like my mom and sister and some of my friends)...would be scared and have nightmares......its classic b/c it was made over 20 years ago! And it's raw....plus I just want to discuss David Lynch b/c I think his movies are brilliant

lol Killer Clowns from Outer Space. I own that one! I actually found that and a lot of other cheesy horror digging in a discount bin of tapes and DVDs for like $3 and $5 chucks...

I felt that Rob in Devil's Rejects was trying to get that old school violent horror feel, like Texas Chainsaw Massacre....did anyone else feel that way about it?

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 10:19 AM
link   
One of the the scariest movies I ever saw was a movie called The Sentinal. It involved a woman who moved into an apartment in NYC and found the building was populated with some very strange neighbors. Only thing is, none of them exist.

The original Omen flick, with the creepy music.

The original Halloween and the original Friday the 13th were good ones.

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 10:30 AM
link   
[edit on 13-7-2006 by Tetraspace]

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey
I adore horror movies.

Argento and Fulci are geniuses. I will never watch Cannibal Holocaust because I'd be too busy crying about the very real death of animals for our viewing enjoyment.

I really like Wes Craven's early work. Last House on the Left was one of the most disturbing movies I have ever seen and The Hills Have Eyes was brilliant.

Another great horror classic is Black Christmas. Margot Kidder was just amazing in this movie. And of course, the Sleepaway Camp movies. I can't wait for Return to Sleepaway Camp.

Does a horror film need a supernatural element to be truly considered "horror?"

I think a supernatural element is completely unnecessary for horror movies, but I'm not going to complain if they put one in.

[edit on 12-7-2006 by Duzey]

The tribes ate the animals.....and it did stir up lots of issues....Cannibal Ferox used
some real animals as well.....And also Cannibal Holocaust believe it or not actually was an influence to Blair Witch Project....uggg (well they ripped Ruggero off) ....If anyone has seen Cannibal Holocaust it revolves around a cocky documentary crew that consist primarily of discovered footage that the crew shot themselves. WELLL....and a whole lot of blood and guts....too lol

I couldn't have said this better myself (about cannibal ferox)...came from a cult movie site

"Cannibal Ferox is a real guilty pleasure, it's both side splitting and nauseating. A film so filthy and indefensible you might find yourself showering off after the film. Check it out!"

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by JediMaster
Well when I think classic I think from the start of motion pictures up until the 1960s. But if we are going to go into the 70s I'll throw some in too.

I love The Creature from the Black Lagoon. One of my childhood favorites. Night of the Living Dead is brilliant. The Thing From Another World is great old sci/fi horror, and Them is very good too. House on Haunted Hill is a very good old horror film. Nosferatu is one of the best films ever.

Psycho is a favorite of mine as wel..

I don't consider David Lynch to be horror per se. His movies are brilliant, but I don't think horror applies. Sure there are horrifying moments (The man from behind the diner in Mulholland Dr.) but not enough for horror. What he did that was very unsettling was Rabbits which is a "tv series" that you can download. I highly recomend it.

The Wickerman isn't horror per se, more of a psychological and thematic drama, but still it is a superb film. The last fifteen minutes or so are chilling.

I haven't seen any Italian horror yet. I'm very famliar with Fulci however (though I haven't seen any of his movies). They would play Susprisia on Fox Movie Channel a lot when I was younger and I saw the preview and it scared the crap out of me.

Would everyone stop focusing on the subject title...not everything has to be so anal and perfect....I meant it all classic/cult/suspense/chilling/weird/cheesy/anything good! mmmkay! I did not want that as the damn title..:shk: just don't talk about Disney movies (even though I love Disney
) teen movies and crap like Mr. and Mrs. Smith

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 11:03 AM
link   
ok I have to say I freaking LOOOOVE Peter Jackson's early work...

Braindead aka DeadAlive was awesome
And I laughed so hard with pure enjoyment in Bad Taste!
"juicy raw rump" haha U guys have to see him that, he plays 2 main characters!
Meet the Feebles!! I loved his earlier movies......

Evil Dead trilogy!!, that’s like what I use to sit down and watch with my dad when I was a little girl along with Tales from the Crypt, Monsters...all family classics

Who remembers Joe Bob Brigg's drive in theater, and monster vision!!

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tetraspace
ok I have to say I freaking LOOOOVE Peter Jackson's early work...

Braindead aka DeadAlive was awesome
And I laughed so hard with pure enjoyment in Bad Taste!
"juicy raw rump" haha U guys have to see him that, he plays 2 main characters!
Meet the Feebles!! I loved his earlier movies......

Evil Dead trilogy!!, that’s like what I use to sit down and watch with my dad when I was a little girl along with Tales from the Crypt, Monsters...all family classics

Who remembers Joe Bob Brigg's drive in theater, and monster vision!!

Oh man I love The Evil Dead series. I saw the third one a few years back and then just watched The Evil Dead II with a friend at 2 in the morning. I saw The Evil Dead alone but I want to have my friends watch it with me.

Meet the Feebles, always a great film to watch with friends. A few of us (myself included) basiclly memorized the sodomy song.

I haven't seen Dead Alive yet since I heard that the unrated version is the best to see and I can only find the R version around here or on Netflix. Bad Taste is another one I have to see.

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 01:02 PM
link   

... just don't talk about Disney movies (even though I love Disney
) ...

Although Disney does have at least one good horror film to their credit: Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow. Now there's a classic for you!

Great thread! Thanks for starting it!

Baack

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Oh my you have to see those two they are awesome...

I sure you can download the unrated verison through IRC or just order it off the net.....

BUT Bad Taste get it on Netflix...that is a great one!!

Oh and anyone seen Begotten...I just wrote this long reply in the HELL is REAL topic and it made me think of Begotten.....I wasn't really a big fan of it but you know it's def. interesting.

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 01:07 PM
link   

... just don't talk about Disney movies (even though I love Disney
) ...

Although Disney does have at least one good horror film to their credit: Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow. Now there's a classic for you!

Great thread! Thanks for starting it!

Baack

yeah Sleepy Hollow is a great classic! wow I'm so happy people are actually showing interest and giving great feedback!

Oh and thank you

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 02:40 PM
link   
What about David Cronenberg? His films are brilliant and most deal with a horror theme. The Brood was excellent, Videodrome was amazing, Dead Ringers (More of a psychological drama film with tinges of horror) was superb. Though I didn't like Scanners that much. It was alright.

I've heard of Begotten but I haven't seen it yet. I'll have to rent Bad Taste off of Netflix soon.

There is one horror film a few years back, that I consider a classic. Jacob's Ladder. I thought it was brilliant, minus the ending which disapointed me.

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I seem to recall a creepy little number Disney put out called Watcher in the Woods.

The Evil Dead series is great. Has anybody seen Within The Woods? It's the short Raimi made to try and get investors interested in Evil Dead. I haven't seen it yet, but I hope to soon.

Dead Alive was hilarious and the Feebles was pretty crazy. I watched Feebles based on the urgings of a few people here, without any clue what it was about. That's one heck of an original movie.

I watched Scanners last weekend for the first time in years. I enjoyed it, but it didn't live up to the memories. I hate it when that happens. Same thing with Dreamscape.
I'm watching Phantasm in the next few days and I'm hoping it doesn't disappoint me.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join