It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brain sensor allows mind-control

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 01:11 PM
link   

bbc
Brain sensor allows mind-control

A sensor implanted in a paralysed man's brain has enabled him to control objects through just the power thought.
The experimental set-up allowed the man, who has no limb movement at all, to open e-mail, play a computer game, and pinch a prosthetic hand's fingers.

The US team behind the sensor hopes its technology can one day be incorporated into the body to restore the movement of paralysed limbs themselves.

this isa very great breakthough

soon peeps will be able to control the actions of their prospective limbs more effectivily and objects around them.

Mod Edit: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 12/7/2006 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Interesting - but there's another issue here. And it's about the rah-rah marketing campaign that's promoting this research.

Are investors using unethical marketing techniques - to get human guinea pigs for unsafe experiments? ...Is it okay to conduct unsafe clinical trials before research is complete?

Miguel Nicolelis, a neurobiologist from Duke University, was critical of the research. ...He told the BBC's Science in Action programme that although some positive signs had been seen for one patient, the paper showed that the technology did not work in the second, older patient.

He said: "When you decide, like this company did, to go into clinical trials for an invasive technique the stakes are very high. ..."They should have demonstrated something that lasts for a long period of time, that it is reliable and safe, and that it can restore much more elaborate functions. I don't think that this paper shows that.

"I think it was too early to use this kind of technology in this kind of clinical trial."

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Very cool. I've seen similar research done before. I read of one case where something much like you described was done, only it was with a monkey. The monkey got an implant and was able to manipulate a mouse cursor on a computer screen with just its thoughts. This sounds like a more advanced version of the same thing.

In response to sofiacrow's ethical questions, there is definitely an issue here when it comes to human experimentation. I think that as long as the participants are mentally able to make their choice, and not being coerced or manipulated, that they are perfectly free to choose an implant like this if they so want it, even if it is experimental. That still doesn't answer the question of whether this occurred or not in this particular case or others, but I think it is a good guideline to go by in deciding whether or not something unethical is going on.

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I don't think it matters if you are going to kill someone ... As long as they agree that they are handicapped and would rather make a difference with thier lives by trying something new that may help millions of people after them whether it works or not. This is the same thing as Donting Organs. The person already said before they passed that you can have them. I for one if I ever got to be handicap would want to do all I could do prevent one more person living in the state I was in whether that means dying for a cause or ... whatever ... There use to be people in this country that believed in Freedom of Religion and left the old country to come here for that very reason. Now we have people that are scared of getting treated for something because they are afraid that they may hurt thier sisters feelings !!!
WAKE UP PEOPLE , THESE PEOPLE ARE DOING THIS TO THEMSELVES TO TRY TO HELP THE FUTURE GENERATIONS. Do you honestly think they think that these experimental processes have no downside ???????

WAKE THE .... WELL JUST WAKE UP !

[edit on 12-7-2006 by Deus_Brandon]

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 02:35 PM
link   
soficrow there is always ethical issues when it comes to testing since for some animal testing cruel and some human.,
on the human part they have concent since that individuale wants something done to help him with his problems.

if this comes out sucessfull think how it could improve peoples lives

also sacrafices have to be made for the greater good
(going to far on that one)

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 10:09 PM
link   
This is great news, although I believe I saw it in the news before. I remember that researchers here in Toronto were hooking up electrodes to the heads of people and reading some of the information. I wonder how long until this kind of treatment is available to the public and what the price tag will be?

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 01:14 PM
link   

top topics

join