It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if????

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 11:53 AM
link   
In the history of science many smart men have thought up the real meaning behind our universe and a blackhole, and so on to the question of "what if?"

In this thread I would like to arise a question of "what if?" for any of you.

My first question is of-
What if a nuclear bomb was set off in a blackhole would anything happen?

-In this event it is said that the world and the universe would be totally destroyed by a means of catastrophic explosions because the universe could not hold the imbalance. A rough translation of my own "given by techshow"

In the event of a nuclear explosion now, with this in mind, what would happen?

[edit on 12-7-2006 by ragster]

[edit on 12-7-2006 by ragster]

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Yes. Someone would be blamed because sanctions were not given enough time to work.

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I do not understand what that meant.......

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I'm sorry. I was just being sarcastic about world politics.

I don't even know if the mechanics for a nuclear explosion would be possible in a black hole. If a black hole can also lead to another dimension, it may be that the effects would be impossible to detect here, but fully observable there.

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Cant set off a nuclear bomb "in" a black hole.
Maybe at the event horizon, which is on its out side.
I think all of the energy released would be absorbed
and fall into the black hole, just like everything else.
If a black hole can suck in an entire galaxy then I dont
think a nuclear bomb is going to have much effect on
it. A super huge red giant might be something else.

[edit on 12-7-2006 by imbalanced]

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Weve never even set off a nuclear bomb in space yet.
What would happen if we set it off in space??

Einstein thought the atom bomb may explode the universe because he thought the explosion would just keep going and going. If you understand that the universe may be an atom, then you can understand why Einstein thought the explosion wouldn't stop.. a pyramid effect in a way.

Still though, even though weve set atom bombs off on Earth, whos to say that it wasn't gravity that contained the explosion? I don't know what would happen if it went off in space, I don't know if we want to find out... because really there are most likely only two options, nothing, or it destroys everything.

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 04:29 PM
link   
So there is hope of some catastrophic meltdown of life, that is true, the universe could like blow up into a million little peices, but still what about the black hole.... it is confusing ....

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 04:39 PM
link   
welcome to ATS ragster, I can see you're fairly new, but in the future please refrain from starting one liner threads.

1 line threads

thanks

[edit on 7-12-2006 by worldwatcher]

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Firstly the UN would be pissed... there's ment to be a ban on space testing of nukes

Secondly the wepon would be destroyed by massive forces way before it got anywhere near the balck hole.

thirdly back holes suck in alot more energy than a single nuke all the time (stars anyone) so I can't imagine any change.

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 05:04 PM
link   
actually the only thing wierd that could happen with a black hole if it got close to a other black hole. What happens when 2 or more merge?

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 05:17 PM
link   
This is actually an interesting question.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but as of yet, we have no provable Grand Unifying theory that combines relativity, which was the basis for the prediction of blackoles existance, with quantum theory, which gives us atomic explosions.

Would it be possible for the explosion to even occur in the singularity? Any mechanism that would cause it would be compressed into the extremely dense mass of atoms at that point.

Also, I'm sure that there would be more volatile, unknown atoms in black holes already. After all, don't we create new elements ourselves by throwing eectrons at existing atoms and hoping they stick? At that proximity I'm sure they've electrons are just sticking to things.

You know what? Forget that. Wouldn't it make sense that atoms couldn't hold their structure within the singularity anyway? I'm sure the strong, weak, and electomagnetic forces aren't even coming into play in there. It would just be a soup of quantum particles.

So, my conclusion, the question is moot.

[edit on 12-7-2006 by Rasobasi420]

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 05:36 PM
link   
wow that is deep very indeed, the event about singularity is a compromising subject but should be closely looked at when talking about it these terms, you are right cool information.

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I don't believe a nuclear reaction in space would really do much.
You see, our own atmospheric shel absorbs more radiation from the Sun than any Nuclear bomb can produce... the radiation would be the only product of the reaction, as there is nothing in space to carry a shockwave, hence, no shockwave.
There are no particles to heat up, so nothing can burn (aside from that which the radiation interacts with).

Now as was mentioned before, a nuclear explosion, or any explosion for that matter could not be carried out within a black hole.
You could feasably detonate one near the event horizon, albeit it would be tricky, but it's feasable.
Even then though, with black holes capable to draw in an entire solar system along with it's Sun, I seriously doubt a nuclear reaction would affect it.
The internal reaction of a sun, is equivelant to millions if not billions of nuclear reactions every second... if that doesnt set off some sort of chain reaction as theorized, I doubt a nuclear reaction could make a difference.

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Hey what about the sun ! it releases thousands if not millions the power and radiation of atom bombs. It isnt causing any tears in the space time, a bend and warp sure, but no tears.

I think that we are in an atom. Would make perfect sense. But it puts your mind in a spin, where did the first one come from and why ?

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 08:55 PM
link   
The first atom???..... well yea the sun is big and all that, but it is a constant in space, and just maybe to keep it all balanced there is black holes for every certain amount of stars and power output and such.... A nuclear bomd would off set this balance, it could be possible.....

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 10:35 PM
link   

My first question is of-
What if a nuclear bomb was set off in a blackhole would anything happen?

Wouldn't that be a trick! Well, from the point of view of the bomb, you'd be exposed to spectacular amounts of radiation, incredible tidal effects that would grind you up to component atoms, magnetic fields that can't be described properly. There's no way it would be intact as it enters the vicinity of the hole. After it's into the event horizon, of course, it's not observable any more. From the bomb's pov, it's through the ergosphere and into the singularity in one shake of a lamb's tail. You couldn't trigger it. But even if you could, nothing would emerge.

A nuclear weapon looks cool and it's really powerful in terms of weaponry, but compared to what's going on in the vicinity of a black hole, it's small beans.

Weve never even set off a nuclear bomb in space yet.
What would happen if we set it off in space??

Oh, come now. Sure we have.

You get a nice spherical bang.

Einstein thought the atom bomb may explode the universe because he thought the explosion would just keep going and going. If you understand that the universe may be an atom, then you can understand why Einstein thought the explosion wouldn't stop.. a pyramid effect in a way.

No, no, no. Teller thought that a fission weapon might produce sufficient heat to set off a "solar Phoenix" or Bethe cycle reaction in the atmosphere, fusing nitrogen and carbon, thus igniting the atmosphere. They stopped work for a while until they were able to prove that it was impossible. Fermi took bets at Trinity on whether they'd done the calculations correctly.

What happens when 2 or more merge?

You get a big one, and lots of gravity waves.

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I tend to agree very strongly with Tom.

Here on Earth, A nuclear bomb is all powerful. As are our nuclear reactors.

But compared to the energies naturally within our universe, it is very miniscule indeed.

As far as blowing one up in a black hole, nothing would happen worth mentioning. That is, giving that it would still exist as such, upon entering the black hole.

That's the way I see it, in my simple terms.

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tom Bedlam
Wouldn't that be a trick! Well, from the point of view of the bomb, you'd be exposed to spectacular amounts of radiation, incredible tidal effects that would grind you up to component atoms, magnetic fields that can't be described properly. There's no way it would be intact as it enters the vicinity of the hole.

Would componet atoms exist inside a black hole? At that point, wouldn't all matter inside a black hole be turned into mass of subatomic particles? I mean, since we can't apply quantum physics to a black hole because of it's immense gravity on such a small scale, we can't assume that the 3 atomic forces would still bind the quanta in a way in which we are familiar. (i.e. atoms and molecules)

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I was thinking of what happens on the approach to the hole. You wouldn't be intact even outside the ergosphere (assuming it's a rotating hole), but on the way through the ergosphere and event horizon, you'd be mutilated. Once inside, though, all bets are off. I've seen some models that would indicate not even atoms would stay intact, and of course once you reach the singularity it's over with.

From the outside looking in, it will take infinite duration for the bomb to cross the event horizon, though, so from an outside observer's pov, it never goes off. From the bomb's, it's into the singularity before it CAN go off.

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 06:52 PM
link   
No this is all assuming the current theories of a black hole are true, on the other hand multible nuclear detonations would show significantly that a black hole would be unstable and either collaspe on it self or the universe might be destroyed.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join