It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conservatives More Likely To Follow Authoritarian Leaders

page: 1

join
share:
df1

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 10:58 AM
link   
In his book, Conservatives Without Conscience, John Dean cites a 50 year study that indicates conservatives are more likely to accept authoritarian rule than liberals. He talks about a discussion that he had with the late conservative icon, Senator Barry Goldwater, in 1994 where Goldwater expressed the same concerns.

Conservative Without Conscience
Many people believe that neoconservatives and many Republicans appreciate that they are more likely to maintain influence and control of the presidency if the nation remains under ever-increasing threats of terrorism, so they have no hesitation in pursuing policies that can provoke the potential terrorists throughout the world.

Ive always believed that the so called war on terrorism is nothing but a political power play intended to further the political aims of the republican party with no consideration of the consequences on the rest of us. The democrats have not challenged these actions because they are a bunch of cowards that are only going along with this crap out of politically motivated fear. In short, their only concern is the next election.

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I don't think this is really true or at least unique about conservatives. Many conservatives in the U.S. now are turning against Bush because they disagree with his policies. Some Soviet communist far-left liberals still think Stalin was the best thing since sliced bread although he was really as bad as Hitler about killing his own people.

I don't think you can generalize whether liberals or conservatives blindly follow their "leader" more than the other.

edit:

And of course everyone in liberal workers' paradise of North Korea is so brainwashed to respect the "Dear Leader" and "Great Leader" even though they're starving to death.

[edit on 7/12/2006 by djohnsto77]

df1

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
I don't think you can generalize whether liberals or conservatives blindly follow their "leader" more than the other.

If ATS is any indication, I see self described conservatives blindly following the white house marching orders every day. Despite their self description, I do not believe either they or the white house are conservatives in any sense of the word.

So while I agree with you that the generalization applied to conservatives is inaccurate. I do not believe this generalization is inaccurate when applied to the "faux patriots" which slander true conservatives by falsely claiming to be conservatives.

[edit on 12-7-2006 by df1]

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 04:20 PM
link   
As a conservative I truly do generally agree with Bush on many issues, but in some important areas I don't. I don't agree with the "war on drugs" I don't believe in an open border with Mexico nor amnesty for illegal aliens, and I'm sure the list could get a lot longer.

I think most conservative ATS members also have differences with the Republican Party line, but in our two party system, it's hard to do much about it. Liberals have the same problem.

I would just like to say that your initial post makes it sound like we're all Nazis are something.

We certainly aren't.

df1

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
We certainly aren't.

From reading your posts, I would agree that you aren't part of "faux patriot" agenda, but many others on ATS are part of this agenda. Dean is probably somewhat of a conservative apologist over guilt from his watergate involvement.

I voted for my last demopublican candidate in 1976, because neither of the two political parties represent my beliefs. I can not bring myself to voting for the lesser of two evils.

My intent is to urge others to find a demopublican alternative that better represents what they believe regardless of what ideology they may choose.

top topics

join