It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disappointing Response From Iran

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Iran has given a "disappointing and incomplete" response to an international incentives package aimed at trying to steer Iran away from suspicious nuclear activities. This leaves the world powers no choice but to bring Iran before the U.N. Security Council said Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice on Wednesday. This comes at a time when the U.N. Security Council already has it's hands full with other problems, among them the North Korean dilemma.

hosted.ap.org
PARIS (AP) -- Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said Wednesday that Iran has given a "disappointing and incomplete" response to an international deal to end suspicious nuclear activities and that world powers may have no choice but to haul Iran before the U.N. Security Council.

Iran ruled out responding this week to international incentives to suspend disputed portions of its nuclear program. The United States and other nations wanted an answer by Wednesday on whether Iran would meet terms to begin negotiations on a package of economic and energy incentives for Iran in exchange for at least the short-term end to Tehran's rapidly advancing program to enrich uranium.

"The indications are that Iran's response has been disappointing and incomplete," Rice told reporters aboard her flight from Washington to Paris early Wednesday. "If that is indeed the case, we've always said we were either on the path to negotiations or we're on the path to the Security Council."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The question whether the U.N. Security Council can act effectively on several fronts as required remains to be seen this situation has the potential of drawing some harsh criticism if the political arena if sufficient action is not taken.

The Security Council has already delivered a mild rebuke to Iran. If its permanent, veto-holding members agreed, the council could move on to impose coercive or punitive measures.

On Tuesday, Iranian nuclear negotiator Ali Larijani warned that talks on his country's atomic program will be a "long process," and said "ambiguities must be removed first in order to have serious talks."

This kind of rhetoric is what some believe are just stall tactics in order to gain further progress on their nuclear program.

[edit on 12/7/2006 by Mirthful Me]

[edit on 12-7-2006 by the_sentinal]

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 08:36 AM
link   
What? Did'nt the Iranians say they wont respond to this offer package until August? Should'nt Ms Rice learn to wait as a good diplomat should instead of forcing a sovereign nation to forgo their sovereign rights at her own timetable?

Oh the intransigent Iranians strike again. How dare they not jump to the beat of the US drum. Dont they know that when Team America says something they should do it unquestioningly?

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Iran will never back off its nuclear program. Even most people in Iran who oppose the present theocratic regime believe they have the right to nuclear power plants and nuclear weapons.

Iran will eventually become a nuclear power IMHO no matter what we do...our only hope is that the current regime falls and is replaced by a friendlier regime before that happens. Hopefully that will happen from inside, but it may require military action by another "coalition of the willing."

[edit on 7/12/2006 by djohnsto77]

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Israel had said that they will not allow Iran to become a nuclear player no matter what the rest of the world thinks. they have stated that they will strike Iran before they complete the nuclear plant and I for one believe they will do what they have said they will do. Ahmadinejad is provolking Israel to support his own agenda.

Ahmadinejad is reportedly tied to a radical Islamic society in Iran that believes man can hasten the appearance of the Mahdi by creating chaos in the world.
Ahmadinejad has stated that this chaos must take place before the Mahdi can come on the scene.

Some wonder if Ahmadinejad believes these are the end times. And, whether his calls for the destruction of Israel and nuclear pursuits are ways to accelerate the divine timetable.

[edit on 12-7-2006 by the_sentinal]

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Whether it is his belief that Israel should be wiped off the map, denials of the Holocaust, obsession with going nuclear, or support for radical Islamic terrorist groups, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is a man on a divine mission.

the outcome of this nuclear standoff with the world is fast becoming a nightmare for those of us who want to see this come to an end.

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 10:14 AM
link   
honestly this world is a bunch of Kids with Nukes.....

Boo Hoo i want the big toy, USA "No you cant have the big toy, only me an my friends can"

Iran "hah come take it from me" USA "Ok i'll tell your MOM!"

Iran "Good Luck, i dont listen to her"

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tranceopticalinclined
honestly this world is a bunch of Kids with Nukes.....

Boo Hoo i want the big toy, USA "No you cant have the big toy, only me an my friends can"

Iran "hah come take it from me" USA "Ok i'll tell your MOM!"

Iran "Good Luck, i dont listen to her"

and usually the bigger bully wins the fight, but in this case there are no winners only losers because it will cost us plenty to remove the nuclear threat from Iran.

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I do not believe Israel will be striking Iran anytime soon. They are just a bit busy right now sending tanks into Gaza and Lebanon and are about to faceoff on a moderately significant land battle with Hezbollah. They can ill-afford to declare war on Iran right now, which is what a pre-emptive airstrike is, a declaration of war.

top topics

join