It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hello Canada!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Oh ATS!
Our home page on the web!
True patriot love, will our addiction ever ebb?

With glowing hearts we see the rise
Of our very own forum!

From far and wide
We came to post, but always with decorum

Let’s keep our forum glorious and free!
Oh Canadian Politics forum

We’re here to post on thee

*sung to the tune of Oh Canada!

Hi there.

I’m your new FSME. And no, I’m not really sure why either. :shk:

That’s OK though, we’re used to incompetence in power up here. Speaking of power, I don’t really have any. I do have some cool new buttons that I’m afraid to touch, except for maybe the applause one. But people have to come here and post before I can use it. And by people, I mean you. I can sit here all day and post thread after thread and reply to myself, but no matter how hard I may try, I can’t applaud myself.

There’s got to be something that’s bugging you that you want to post about. There’s crime, poverty, military funding, the courts, unelected Senators issuing a report that calls for the end of professional sports on the CBC
, healthcare, education, the environment, Ralph Klein and a whole bunch of other stuff I haven’t even thought of yet. The list of things to talk about goes on forever.

So please, come here and make a thread. Make two even, there’s lots of room in here. I'm going to. You never need worry that you won’t get any replies in this forum. I can always manage to find something to say. If you want, I can even view the thread multiple times so you feel good. I have no problem with that and it will be our little secret. If you don’t have any ideas for a new thread, you can always add to an existing one. Whatever works best for you. I just want to help make this a place you enjoy posting in.

We’ve been asking for our own forum for a long time and we’ve finally got it. Let’s fill it up with posts while proudly flying a little round Canadian flag (kinda) on our threads!

PS. What do you want to bet we're the only forum on PTS that has it's own anthem already?

PPS. We need an amazingly cool banner for this forum. I am completely clueless with that kind of thing and am hoping that one of you talented Canucks will volunteer your services. If you are going to make one, please say something here first. I'm sure they take a bit of time and effort and I would feel bad if it were wasted.
I'd appreciate any help I could get with this.

[edit on 12-7-2006 by Duzey]

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I think that it's great that Canada has it's own forum. While Canada might not be considered a "major player" on the world stage, Canada has a very interesting political arena. Furthermore, Canada does play an interesting "game" as it treads softly next to the American Giant -- one that is, at times, quite interesting to watch.

While Canada is sometimes described as an American satellite, Canada is far from being America's lackey. Of course, for the most part -- especially under PM Stephen Harper -- we can expect Canada to be in a lock-step with the United States, but it is interesting whenever Canada asserts itself and stands up to the U.S.

As an American living in Canada, I look forward to reading this dedicated Canadian Forum and making my own contributions as I believe that I have a different viewpoint than that of a Canadian or of an American who looks at this country from the outside.

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 02:54 PM
link   
first off congrats on your new title Duzey, now down to the serious stuff, wheres the beer fridge and is it your job to keep it stocked with Canadian

Anyway I hope this forum takes off.

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sauron
and is it your job to keep it stocked with Canadian

Oh oh, Canadian? What about Labatts' Blue? This sounds like it will turn into the most important debate of this entire forum -- Blue or Canadian?

My own choice, between the two, has got to be the finest beer in Canada -- Labatts' Blue.

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 03:26 PM
link   
my mother drinks blue, as my sister, and girlfriend and her mother and her sister.
but it's okay if you like blue too.

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Thanks for the support guys.

It didn't take us very long at all to start discussing the most important things in Canada, the politics of beer.

If you haven't found the fridge yet, just look for Intrepid. He's never far from the wobbly pops. The best thing is that it is imaginary beer, so you can have any kind you want. I'll be drinking Okanagan Spring Pale Ale, a tasty product by the fine folks at Sleemans.

I'm sure we can get some interesting threads here. After all, in Canada the government sticks their nose into everything and it's pretty difficult to find anything that doesn't have some political aspect to it. I would have started a thread or two already, but I just spent the last 2 hours locked out of my office. :bnghd:

I'm looking forward to talking about things from a Canadian (or American living in Canada) perspective. I think we're pretty darn interesting.

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Yay we have our own forum!!!! Go Canada!!!!

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Oh Canuckistan
the place that we were born -
If only we weren't frail
and eating at your table.
The few scraps you throw
while you crow and crow
of your great charity,
are a hopeless rut
near starvation but
hunger and homelessness
keeps us weak.
Amid increasing gales
you ignore kyoto's wails
until all modified canola
won't muster any payola.
Child poverty
is a reality -
every deadbeat has a car.
The mothers weep
and the provinces keep
child tax credits from the poor.
True patiot love
the TV will shove
CIA run elections
to redrawn circumspections.
Moguls keep our land
gloriously ignorant
of all the misery
shopping can't command.
All the sheep will bleat
and the pigs will beat
to maintain the empire's quo.
God keep the land
from death under our hand
she'll have the last word
on rape and plunder's plan.

[edit on 13-7-2006 by clearwater]

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey

PPS. We need an amazingly cool banner for this forum. I am completely clueless with that kind of thing and am hoping that one of you talented Canucks will volunteer your services. If you are going to make one, please say something here first. I'm sure they take a bit of time and effort and I would feel bad if it were wasted.
I'd appreciate any help I could get with this.

What dimensions did you want the banner to be?

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I hadn't really given it any thought. I believe in letting the artist have control over the vision.
Especially when it's Umbrax, the avatar genius.

I guess I wouldn't want it any bigger than the one for your blog. I want to be able to keep my understated and refined (read as unable to do any better) link to my blog there. Whatever size will allow me to do that will be just perfect.

Does this mean we are getting an Alpha Flight banner?

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey
Does this mean we are getting an Alpha Flight banner?

I like that idea

I can make a bunch up I guess.
This is for signatures then I take it? Mine is 500x50px, the maximum size allowed for a sig image.

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I'd like to be able to put one in my signature, and it would be great if maybe some of the members with wasted advertising real estate would do the same. Maybe the Canucks that don't come here very often will see one and visit us. If that doesn't work, I'll u2u every single one of them if I have too.

I don't need a whole bunch, I don't want to take advantage of your help. Alpha Flight was just the first thing that popped into my head when I saw your post. I thought you'd see the humour in it.

I've never had a banner in my signature, so I haven't really read the rules on them.

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Okay I put together 3 banners to choose from.

Just copy and paste the code into your sig box.

[url=http://politics.abovetopsecret.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=136] [ATS]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f299/Umbrax3/CanadianPolitics01.gif[/ATS][/url]

[url=http://politics.abovetopsecret.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=136] [ATS]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f299/Umbrax3/CanadianPolitics02.gif[/ATS][/url]

[url=http://politics.abovetopsecret.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=136] [ATS]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f299/Umbrax3/CanadianPolitics03.gif[/ATS][/url]

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Those are great!

I probably won't use the last one, I don't need the heat.
I posted that in very poor French once and an American actually went to the effort to translate it. Let's just say he wasn't very happy with me.
I ended up telling him I was sorry he didn't like the joke.
He took that as an apology and we parted on friendly terms.

No matter how fond of it I am, I don't want to find out what happens if it's in English.

I think I'll use the second one. I can almost hear the people shouting I. AM. CANADIAN. at the end. If there is one thing that truly unites Canadians it's Molson beer commercials.

Thank you very much.

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 11:06 PM
link   
No problem

I thought the Mercer quote kind of made a statement when put into PTS context.
We have our own forum now and we can talk politics as heavy as the Americans can.

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I do like it a lot. And it is definitely more attention getting.

Maybe I'll reconsider my decision. It's not that I'm overly worried about offending someone, I just don't want to have to listen to it.

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I hear ya’.
Maybe I’ll be the guinea pig later on.

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Let me know how that works out for you.

I'll sleep on it and decide tomorrow. I'm about 87.3% sure I'm going to change to the Mercer one. If you have people writing diatribes on how mean you are, it might influence my decision.

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 10:27 AM
link   
The True North Strong & Free!

I've always been a fan of Duze's Sig but was not aware Umbrax was the creative mind behind it. I like those that you have come up with, I'll have to work them into mine.

The one image limit restricts me slightly but I'll throw it in a rotation.

I'll begin by saying how much I love the Canadian Politics Forum. It's great to have a Forum for our own specific government and its issues. Honestly, before this our thoughts were lost in the shuffle.

We have a top notch FSME who is not scared to share her opinions. Only another pat on the back for our Forum.

My one and only complaint thus far with our forum is of the complete ignorance and disregard shown for Canada.

Why CANADA sucks?
Eastern Candadians are ingrates!

Candadians?

Complete ignorance. The second thread was speaking about Quebec, not even close to the east coast. The author couldn't even take a moment to learn our geography before knocking our country and its people.

Frankly, I am more proud to be Canadian than anything else. Rarely do I take offence to anything, but I do get alittle touchy when people want to trash our country with no support to their claims.

Now lets look at this thread. A member had a negative opinion, but showed some respect and provided some information.

Shame On Canada!

This was in reference to the annual seal hunt. My one problem with it was that it painted us all with the same brush. I am Canadian but am against the Seal Hunt. So members should realize that Canadians are capable of holding down more than more than one thought on an issue.

That is of course in our 3 weeks of summer when its warm enough to come out of the igloos. And of course when the polar bears have gone alittle farther north, so our youngin's can run around.

We canucks need to stick together. Provide some insight to some of the great threads we have seen so far, but fight off the ignorance that is thrown our way too!

to the Admin for the creating the Forum.

to Majic for giving us the best FSME ATS has to offer.

to Duzey for running a tight ship.

[edit on 24-9-2006 by chissler]

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 03:21 PM
link   
how about putting the avro areo on the banner. a strong case for canadian pollitical conspiracy if there ever was one. just imagine what it would have been like if ats had been arround for that one. CHEERS EH

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join