It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Computers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2006 @ 10:47 PM
link   
www.kurzweilai.net... it talks about moores law and a little about how right now human lifespan adds half a year a year and pretty soon it will be a year per year.upload.wikimedia.org... theres a site about how in the year 2050 the way computers are growing now theyshould pass every humans on earths brain calculation speed.

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by losangeleslover
www.kurzweilai.net... it talks about moores law and a little about how right now human lifespan adds half a year a year and pretty soon it will be a year per year.upload.wikimedia.org... theres a site about how in the year 2050 the way computers are growing now theyshould pass every humans on earths brain calculation speed.

thanks for the link.

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I was thinking that if the computer power jumped just a little bit december 2012 could be the date that humans would no longer be the smartest thing on the planet anymore. That might explain the huge change that the mayans had in there calender.

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 02:12 PM
link   

I was thinking that if the computer power jumped just a little bit december 2012 could be the date that humans would no longer be the smartest thing on the planet anymore. That might explain the huge change that the mayans had in there calender.

good call m8...that might explain the 2012 date in the mayan calendar..terminator or matrix spring to mind..i remember when bill gates stated:

"if the automotive industry had evolved as fast as the computer industry..general motors would be selling us cars that fly to the moon by now"

general motors replied with:

"yes we would be selling cars that fly to the moon..but you would`t want them to crash twice a day"

posted on Jul, 16 2006 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Actually there is no comparison between the processing speed of the human brain and a computer, because the former is an analog network while the latter is a digital device.

The human brain is far more capable than any computer now or in the future for certain things, while at the same time is very slow for other things.

posted on Jul, 16 2006 @ 05:29 PM
link   
There will be a day when raw computing power will out perform brain power and this won't be for a while. 2050 seems like a good enough estimate. However, this doesn't mean that computers will be smarter than humans etc... the brain is a vast neural network that is ridiculously complicted to replicate in a computer. Just becuase a calculator might be able to work out the sum 1234817 * 2312312 faster than a human does that mean its smarter?? It will take somethin such as a quantum computer to even come close to being able to replicate human thought or brain processes.

and at the end of the take it takes a human to program a computer, thats what im paid for

[edit on 16-7-2006 by Tommio]

posted on Jul, 16 2006 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Actually they have been in the process of creating and building working neural nets similar to the synapses in the human brain.

On a side note, this is the second thread mentioning Kurzweil I have seen today... something going on I don't know about? Anyways, pick up the age of spiritual machines and the singularity is near and read those if you want a better understanding. We are a hell of alot closer than you think.

posted on Jul, 16 2006 @ 05:37 PM
link   
did you guys hear microsoft if working on a computer that can READ YOUR MIND for the future?

thats the dumbest idea i ever heard... sooon computers will know our weaknesses and attack us.

posted on Jul, 16 2006 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by worksoftplayhard
did you guys hear microsoft if working on a computer that can READ YOUR MIND for the future?

thats the dumbest idea i ever heard... sooon computers will know our weaknesses and attack us.

It doean't read your mind it just picks up on signals that the brain generates and interprets them. Similar to the way voice recognition works.

posted on Jul, 16 2006 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Yeah, direct neural interface technology. It would completely revolutionize the way we do everything. Just think of the benefits of eliminating nerve conduction delay from reaction time when it came to operating equipment. I'd sure love to be able to do that with my job.

I also can't help but wonder if such technology could one day be used in reverse, using electrical signals to directly send information to the brain. Learning would become almost matrix status in its immediacy and relative ease.

Interesting stuff...

posted on Jul, 16 2006 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I had talked to a puter tech about my puter and he told me "For every year you own your computer, there is another ten year's of technology that make's the current computer's obsolite." Is that true, or was he trying to get me to buy a new computer?!!!

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Allred5923
"For every year you own your computer, there is another ten year's of technology that make's the current computer's obsolite."

Can you try to explain what he said a little better? I dont get how owning a coomputer for 1 year = 10 years of technology to make it obsolete

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Allred5923
I had talked to a puter tech about my puter and he told me "For every year you own your computer, there is another ten year's of technology that make's the current computer's obsolite." Is that true, or was he trying to get me to buy a new computer?!!!

I think he's referring to the growth of technology, and I would say that he's right. Especially in the realm of CPU and 3D processing power, it truly is amazing how far we've come in such a relatively short time. Take video games for example, the interactive entertainment industry is always exploring the cutting edge of computing power (at least graphically). Ten years ago, this was the sort of technology that was cutting edge at the time. Now we have hardware that is capable of producing real-time gameplay that looks like this. At this rate we'll have something akin to the Matrix in another decade, playable on the common household computer (OK, maybe only for hardcore gamers who buy a new video card every six months or so
).

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 04:39 AM
link   
I really dont know, but right now I am

RAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH PUNCH IT IN THE FACE!

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Humans think. Computers carry out tedious calculations a human does not want to perform.

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by nogirt
Humans think. Computers carry out tedious calculations a human does not want to perform.

I think the topic was about the growth of computing power until a true artificial Intelligence is creted that is capable of more calulations/time than a human brain.

Worse than that, was created, what will it think.
Will it think like us?
Will it think of conquest and control?

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I'm confused- I'm not the best with compyuters as you can probably tell. When we talk of computing power, I always thought that it was several computers linking together which generates that overall power.

So a company would have hundreds of PC units all linked together in a gigantic room all networked and thsu the system was powerful.

I'm not sure if it is just me here but I don't have the room for hundreds of processing units in my house so I presume only companies are truly benefiting from vast technological advances?

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 02:16 PM
link   
[Double Post- Apologies]

[edit on 26-7-2006 by Knights]

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrmonsoon

Originally posted by nogirt

I think the topic was about the growth of computing power until a true artificial Intelligence is creted that is capable of more calulations/time than a human brain.

Worse than that, was created, what will it think.
Will it think like us?
Will it think of conquest and control?

I think the keyword is tedious. There are some calculations which people just do not want to do, but the calculations must be done.

Computers are capable of producing an endresult faster than a human, in terms of speed. Though the steps a computer will take to reach an endresult usually involve more steps than humans find necessary, and are what sometimes lead computers to produce wrong answers.

The antiderivative of cosxdx. A computer may very well produce the antiderivative before I do, but the steps the computer took to reach the antiderivative are what should be considered. I have the antiderivative memorized, a computer however must use some kind of trig program like a universal trig solution.

new topics

top topics

join