It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(DOC) Whispers in the Dark

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2006 @ 06:48 PM
link   
(I think this is pretty good. I hope you guys like it. Just so you know, the characters alternate speaking, and one never speaks twice in a row)

Whispers in the Dark
By Voidmaster

“Do they know yet?”

“Do they know what?”

“You know, about the Processors?”

“Oh! Sorry, but there have been so many things going on that I didn’t quite know what you were talking about.”

“Its okay. Now could you please answer the question.”

“Yes. The public knows that the Atmospheric Processors have failed. They know that in a matter of hours the environment will become too toxic to support human life. I am curious though, how did it happen?”

“I don’t think anyone knows that. We only discovered it ourselves 3 days ago. The only thing I know about how it happened is several of members of my group got killed for asking questions.”

“Yeah, same here. I wonder, though. How could the Processors just fail like that? I thought that was supposed to be impossible.”

“That’s the thing about government. Eventually they get a big head and think everything that they make and do is impregnable. Or maybe they knew they would fail all along. Perhaps the Processors were just a way to stall the eventual death of the planet and us. Just a way to make sure panic didn’t grip the world and people didn’t get unnecessarily killed. I guess they were just trying to keep the world calm for the last few years of its life.”

“I guess so. Why didn’t we see this coming anyway? I mean, shouldn’t we have seen it in the changing behavior of the animals, the new types of diseases, and the whacked out weather?”

“Maybe they did, maybe they didn’t. If they did I doubt there wasn’t anything the government could have done at that point, besides choose how to die. I suppose they did what they could, and prepared the worlds funeral. Not that it really matters whose fault it is anymore.”

“Yeah, I guess your right. I suppose I’m just trying to hang on to the only bit of regular life left to me. The Blame Game.”

“Well, whoever did this or could have prevented this is dying just the same as we are, so even though we don’t know who they are justice will still be administered.”

“Perhaps we should open the door, and let some air in? Just end our suffering here and now.”

“No. We can’t do that. You know how painful it would be and so do I. No one could purposefully do THAT you themselves. The wiring in our heads just wouldn’t let that happen.”

“Are you sure? I mean, plenty of people have committed suicide before.”

“True, but this wouldn’t be anything like jumping off a building or shooting yourself. It would be utter and complete destruction delivered in the most painful way possible. While we can kill ourselves, I don’t think it would be possible to do what you’re suggesting.”

“I think it’d be better then just sitting here in the dark, talking to each other about our eventual death.”

“What else can we do? Besides, everyone dies sometime. We just happen to be first on the list this time.”

“How can you keep such a happy outlook on this? We’re all going to die very painfully and there is nothing we can do about it!”

“I know. That is why I’m so reluctant about it. I know I can’t do anything about it, so I don’t panic.”

“Don’t panic, huh? Next thing I know, you’re going to be telling me that the answer is 42.”

“Well, for all I know, it could be.”

“Great, I’m stuck in here with a whack job.”

“No, I’m serious. The underlying idea to that concept is that there IS no answer. Or no answer we can know anyway.”

“So, what you’re saying is that us, humans, have lived this on this planet for billions of years, and we don’t know why we were here?”

“Yep. Kind of ironic if you think about it.”

“How so?”

“Well, we’re all about to die and we don’t know why we were put here to begin with.”

“ I see. We’ve lived without know what to do, and so we spent our time on idle things, and now when our time has come we will die without knowing how or why we came.”

“My, that’s rather profound for you. Are you sure you aren’t going nuts yourself?”

“I’m not too sure about anything anymore.”

“Nor am I, my friend. Nor am I.”

(Silence)

“Shall I open the door now?”

“Yes, please.”

“See you on the flip side.”

(Door opens)

[edit on 11-7-2006 by Voidmaster]

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 04:17 PM
link   
We can always count on you to set the standard my friend. Good story
and I have no doubt you'll do well in the competition.

wupy

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Good job. Heavy story, but good.
I knew that I would have to put my story in early, before I read all my competition and got cold feet. I am glad I did.

posted on Jul, 15 2006 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Thanks for the replies, they are most definately appricated.
Who knows, maybe I'll be in the honorable mentions this time.

Here's hopin'. *Chinks glass*

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 11:01 PM
link   
interesting and disturbing story void. I liked it. nice style

top topics

join