It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Use Google Earth: Identify Weaponry 'Round the World

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 11:54 PM
link   
ok how exactly do you find any military units, bases, or anything military on Google earth, i have it but so far all i can get is big cities or so!

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by INc2006
ok how exactly do you find any military units, bases, or anything military on Google earth, i have it but so far all i can get is big cities or so!

Air bases are often easy to find because they show up from a great height. East coast Saudi Arabia is an easy place to find military installations, SAM sites etc - it's one huge military complex.

posted on Jul, 15 2006 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I have found missle silos in the past while looking around states like Iowa, they are probably not active, but cool to see none the less. I will try to find a few and post their coords.

posted on Jul, 15 2006 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by INc2006

start with what you know -- the area around your own home

you are the ATS expert on your own area , tell us what interesting features , military instalations are nearest to you first

even mundane stuff that looks wierd from the air is of interest to ATSers - esp if you can tell us what it really is

posted on Jul, 15 2006 @ 10:40 AM
link   
What are these helicopters?

link

All I know is that they are "Helicopters at Tiraspol Soviet-era Air Base"

Can someone identify them?

posted on Jul, 15 2006 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Just to confirm:

Is that a Kiev Class carrier(Admiral Gorshkov/Vikramaditya) and a SSBN(which one?) at the Servodvinsk shipyard?

posted on Jul, 15 2006 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt
What are these helicopters?

link

All I know is that they are "Helicopters at Tiraspol Soviet-era Air Base"

Can someone identify them?

In the pic they look like Mi-24 Hind attack helicopters. Can you give the lattitude and longitude coords so I can have a closer look?

posted on Jul, 15 2006 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus3
Just to confirm:

Is that a Kiev Class carrier(Admiral Gorshkov/Vikramaditya) and a SSBN(which one?) at the Servodvinsk shipyard?

img.photobucket.com...

Certainly looks like a Kiew class carrier!

[edit on 15-7-2006 by psteel]

posted on Jul, 15 2006 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by planeman

Can you give the lattitude and longitude coords so I can have a closer look?

Latitude: 46.86803600
Longitude: 29.59802100

posted on Jul, 15 2006 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt

Originally posted by planeman

Can you give the lattitude and longitude coords so I can have a closer look?

Latitude: 46.86803600
Longitude: 29.59802100

I now think they are Mil Mi-8 Hip's rather than Mi-24 Hind gunships. The two look very similar from the air because they have the same five blade rotor without end "paddles", the light colour or the rotors (not dark like most western types). At first glance the tail boom looks too wide for a Mi-8 so I guessed Mi-24 but I think it is a light trick because these lack the Mi-24's wings and their noses look too wide and rounded. So Mi-8 Hip.

posted on Jul, 15 2006 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Just to confirm:

Yes it is. 100% certain. It's the one generally reported to be owned by India. The sub directly next to it is a Typhoon class SSBN - there's another further west just on the edge of the high-res area. other vessels nearby ionclude two "Kirov" class cruisers (massive) and several Delta Class SSBNs in various stages of construction/repair. The two rusting unfinished subs to the east of the carrier are probably Oscar class cruise missile subs. On the dock beside the Typhoon you can see 20 ICBM tubes - pretty cool.

Working our way along the northern edge of the docks from left to right we start with a Kilo class SSK (with blue crane beside it). The next interesting ship is a Kirov class cruiser - the two 100mm guns at the rear give it away as an early one - probably retired. Next after the kink in the dockside, we see two Delta class SSBNs in the water and slightly further along a third on dry land (looks under construction?).

To the north, there's an active SA-10 Grumble (S-300PT) SAM battery at 64 36 53.94N 39 49 36.14E - note the trailer mounted missiles (x4) and mast mounted radar (x2). There's another SA-10 battery about a mile north of that one right against the coast.

posted on Jul, 15 2006 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Can someone answer what this location is??

38 53 50.20 N, 77 03 50.20 W

posted on Jul, 15 2006 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jeffro
Can someone answer what this location is??

38 53 50.20 N, 77 03 50.20 W

Two fountains - that's in a public park called Theodore Rosovelt Island.

posted on Jul, 16 2006 @ 01:43 AM
link   
^^^

Yeah.. I thought that was the Adm. Gorshkov in refit.
Its supposed to be in Servodvinsk,though looks pretty much untouched from what its supposed to look like once its done.

Before Refit:

After Refit Schematic(commisssioning:2008?):

Google Earth (2004/5?):

But then, the pic seems to be dated latest 2005, and plus maybe we can't make out much changes in deck operations from this altitude..

Experts: Does it look much changed and toward what its supposed to be?And if not is 2-3 yaers enough to get it in shape?

Planeman, the ICBM tubes are the blue checker piece type things?

posted on Jul, 16 2006 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Cool thread,I have found a couple of interesting bits in north korea.

this one :

40 10 47.08 N 125 31 26.16 E like a mini haarp? some kind of radar/comm thing?

this one:

38° 3'42.91"N 126°38'11.66"E reminds me of the alien architecture in half life2!
Anyone know what this is?

There is another place in N korea which i can`t find at the minute,its a camoflaged structure in the middle of a lake,also looks like something from half life2...if anyone knows where it is please let me know,as i am wasting my day trying to find it again...

posted on Jul, 16 2006 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Planeman, the ICBM tubes are the blue checker piece type things?

The Typhoon has (IIRC) 24 tubes and there's only 20 there. It looks like the tubes come in blocks of 4 so chances are there's another block either absent or in the sub.

Re the carrier. No idea really except that the image isn't up to date and that the missiles have already been removed from the foredeck which is some progress at least.

posted on Jul, 16 2006 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse
40 10 47.08 N 125 31 26.16 E like a mini haarp? some kind of radar/comm thing?
I think it's an aerial farm for comms of some sort.

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse
38° 3'42.91"N 126°38'11.66"E reminds me of the alien architecture in half life2!
Anyone know what this is?

That's a great find! That's typical of ramps made for radars except the radar is missing. Basically you build a ramp to drive your radar truck up so that you get better coverage. Just south of it there appears to be a tunnel into the mountain which I think corresponds with a similar tunnel entrance at 38 02 56.59 N 126 37 56.00 E. It's only a guess but I would expect that ramp relates to a "Bar Lock" early warning radar which is kept either in the tunnel or elsewhere for safe keeping,. There doesn't seelm to be any prepared positions fpr SAM launchers so it is probably early warning only.

Here's a similar series of ramps in Eygpt for comparrison: 28 18 48.30 N 33 04 44.50 E

posted on Jul, 16 2006 @ 12:10 PM
link   
CAn anyone give me the gps coordinates of the latest aircraft carrier cvn-78 U.S.S george h.w. bush?

posted on Jul, 16 2006 @ 12:10 PM
link   
When I hit up Google Earth, it shows my house from like 2 years ago, because it was in a new construction environment and shows all these empty lots around our house.

And when I do zoom in on my address, it shows the house 2 streets down...
Blah Google Earth, sometimes....

posted on Jul, 16 2006 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by warthog911
CAn anyone give me the gps coordinates of the latest aircraft carrier cvn-78 U.S.S george h.w. bush?

not really , its in " advanced build " stage -- which basically translates as - " we are fabricating sections at various sites , so that when we come to lay down the keel , construction speed will be faster "

the co ordinates for newport news are : 37°4′15″N, 76°29′4″W

here, is the press release for the " first cut "

hope this helps - but CVN-78 is so far just plans and stockpiled materials

there is nothing really to look at .

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join