It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Prayer a Placebo?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2006 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I was thiking about the effects of prayer and on how they can be positive on people. But, just as doctors prescribe pacebos which are known to work. How do we not know if prayer/well wishing helps people in the same way. I'm sure there are plenty of people with opinions on this, wether it be religious or non, but I would like to make a place here to discuss our thoughts. So don't hold back, what do you think?

posted on Jul, 11 2006 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I do think it's a placebo in that there's no one hearing it. I do, however, believe in the power of the mind, so I think praying has a great affect and that it's very powerful, it's just that the power is coming from the pray-er and not the 'out there'.

posted on Jul, 11 2006 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I do think it's a placebo in that there's no one hearing it. I do, however, believe in the power of the mind, so I think praying has a great affect and that it's very powerful, it's just that the power is coming from the pray-er and not the 'out there'.

Yes I agree, and as quantum physics suggests, the observer affects the observed on a basic level (irrelevant of the conscience/unconscience of the observed). So can this work on or in the grander scale of things? It might go a bit deep. But it does'nt make it less real imo. In fact it could explain prayer.....maybe? I dunno lol

[edit on 11-7-2006 by Xeros]

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 12:36 AM
link   
The collective consciousness--more power in that, than we realize, IMO.

Remember the movie Apollo 13? How everything that possibly could go wrong--went wrong? And it seemed odd--those missions didn't seem plagued with problems, but this one was.

And then, when it came down to possibly losing those astronauts out in space--something unthinkable for every human being that gave it a moment's thought--I mean, can you imagine?

So then--even though it wasn't explicitly stated (or at least I don't remember it if it were) it is implied that the whole world mentally/spiritually/consciously rallied around that little lunar module---many prayed, to their gods or the God or the collective spirit or whatever--some didn't pray but even crossing one's fingers is a good thought, isn't it? When done with sincere intentions, that is.

And they made it through that tiny slot of opportunity back home!

And I remember that man in charge--at Houston. He said there was no alternative except to bring them home! He wouldn't even mention anything to the contrary!

And I sincerely believe that the whole mission was governed by the human collective consciousness--the problems being inadvertently caused by superstitious thoughts--most of us have a trace of it--and many have much more; especially about the number 13!

We know 13 is just a number; 10 + 3 or the number between 12 and 14--but we still avoid 13th floors in our tall buildings, etc... Our superstitions AND our hopes are perhaps curses AND prayers--our minds are the most powerful thing that exists!

That's where I believe God comes from--not as figments of our minds, but the power of mind is God. We let superstitions control our 'God' instead of controlling our minds and harnessing the true power God gives to all human beings.

Just my thoughts....

new topics

top topics

join