It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(DOC) Coming Home

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2006 @ 05:19 PM
link   
“Momma…..your home!!!”

“Hi baby…..I missed you so much.”

“I missed you too Momma….when did you get back? I didn’t even get to make a big sign for you with my fingerpaint that says “welcome home”. We bought some of those little flags to wave around too. Me and Daddy were going to work on it later…..your early.”

“Yes baby, I’m early. Can we sit on the swing set and talk a minute?”

“Momma, you got some cranberry juice all over your uniform. There’s a little bit in your hair too.”

“It’s O.K. baby. Let’s talk.”

“Momma, did you see any bad guys across the ocean?”

“Yes, I did….. but they were not all bad.”

“Yeah, but that’s not what they say on the t.v. I saw all kinds of explosions and was scared all the time that you were there.”

“Yes, baby, I was scared too sometimes.”

“Your not going back again are you?”

“No, never.”

“Good, because you got to make about 20 cupcakes next week for my party at school. While you were gone, Daddy had to make some cookies for the last party and they tasted like a dirt sandwich.”

“Your Daddy tries real hard. Just give him a chance and his cookies will be better.”

“Well, since your home, he’s gonna have to stay out of the kitchen. He tells me not to say bad words all the time but he sure let’s them fly when he’s trying to cook.”

“Hey, I want you to do something for me baby. I little experiment O.K. It’s gonna be weird to you but just do it o.k.”

“O.k.

“Look at me and blink your eyes one time.”

“Allright.”

“Now, how long did that take you to do that?”

“Hardly no time at all.”

“Joey, the time it took you to blink your lashes is far longer than our entire lifetimes in God’s eyes. From the time you are born until the day you die…….it is nothing in the face of forever. You may not understand what I’m saying to you now but Momma wants you to remember what I’m saying when you feel sad. O.k. baby”

“O.k.”

“I brought you something too. It’s a medal”

“Ooooh, can I put it in my secret box? Who’s that man on it? He’s got a ponytail!! It’s kind of a girly color….purple.”

“His name is George Washington. You’ll be learning all about him in school real soon. He wasn’t a girly-girl either.”

“Let’s go show Daddy my medal Momma.”

“I can’t go with you Joey.”

“Why?”

“Not now baby…I’ll be with you before you know it. Go run in and see your Daddy.”

“Hey Daddy, look what Momma gave………………..”

Joey’s daddy stood before the open door gripping the frame with knuckles turned a shade of white never seen in nature. Joey watched as his Daddy’s knees buckled and gave way before the two uniformed strangers shadowing the doorway. A man and woman with uniforms so crisp and clean that they appeared to Joey to be able to break if bent.

“Mr. O’Hadley, our deepest sympathies are with you at this hour of grief. The President of the United States of America and the nation as a whole cannot begin to express the appreciation of the sacrifice of your wife and family at this …………….....”

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Oooooh....Spooky. Great entry though.
I look forward to seeing how well you do in the competition my friend.

wupy

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 04:02 AM
link   
that was really good well done

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 11:40 PM
link   
loved it!! touching and spooky. Well written, very moving dialogue. great job!!

top topics

join