It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

At Last, a Sensible Political Ad!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2006 @ 12:48 PM
link   
You don't see many political ads that really tell the truth about either the candidates or the issues, but this one comes very close.

www.vernonrobinson.com...

posted on Jul, 11 2006 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Yes, LOL! I guess you were watching Dayside today too?
I love it, it's a shame this isn't an ad that will run repeatedly to a national audience come November!

ed- careless typo.

[edit on 11-7-2006 by AlphaHumana]

posted on Jul, 11 2006 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I usually don't watch "Dayside" because I don't like the format or the goofy tone, but I'm glad I was watching today.

[edit on 2006/7/11 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jul, 11 2006 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Yes, I agree with you - Dayside definately is more entertaining than informative, in fact I hadn't heard the ad was a political campaign piece at first because I was in a different room, but when I heard the Twilight Zone theme I ran in and first thing I saw was that pic of Osama (w/ the TZ theme!)

posted on Jul, 11 2006 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Great commercial.

It shows how the world is truly turned upside down these days.

Anyway, I hope this guy wins!

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I couldn't help but notice this below the video while I was watching:

"These advertisements were produced by Daly & Associates, Inc., a STRATEGIC COMMUNICATIONS/TARGET MARKETING firm."

To me, this guy would never have a chance at getting my vote.

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

This part I agree with.

I wonder how Nick Berg's family feels about this yahoo pandering around Nick's image for his own political gain, especially while making a mockery of it by setting the scene with The Twilight Zone's theme song.

I love how it says "the lesbians and feminists are attacking everything sacred" while showing no respect to Berg or his family for what they've gone through.

Is this supposed to be tounge-in-cheek? Funny?

I don't see anything humorous in what Berg, or his family, have gone through.

This add is nothing more than fear mongering, catered to stereotypical "conservative fears", wrapped in lighthearted Twilight Zone and Leave it to Beaver packaging.

It's absolutely disgusting.

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 11:13 PM
link   
The ad uses irony to draw attention to important issues. It is a very common political ad tactic. If you fault this ad, then you will have to fault virtually all campaign ads, which is not a hard thing to do.

But, whether you agree with it or not, objectively, it is a very effective ad.

[edit on 2006/8/8 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
The ad uses irony to draw attention to important issues.

I guess what you see as irony, I see as disgraceful insensitivity and utter disrespect.

Would it be merely "irony" for him to show images of people, seconds before they hit the ground to die, who had just jumped from the burning towers (as long as he set it to the theme of a 50s tv show, of course)?

But, whether you agree with it or not, objectively, it is a very effective ad.

I don't know about "objectively", but sadly it will likely be "effective".

Which is exactly why...

Originally posted by djohnsto77

People will likely look right past his use of exaggerations, tailored fear mongering, and his utter disrespect of a victim (and his family) for personal political gain.

The 50s tv themes will likely take intended viewers back to idealized memories of "the good ol' days when family values meant something".

Please, give me a break.

The Cleavers were no more "the avarage white family in the 50s" than the Cosbys were "the avarage black family in the 80s".

This ad is absolutely disgusting and, I hope to God that the Berg family never has to see this despicable use of Nick's image.

[edit on 8/9/06 by redmage]

top topics

join