It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guantanamo Bay Detainees Will Finally Be Granted Geneva Rights

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Originally posted by subz

Huh? Are you infinite incognito? I was specifically responding to his post. What are you talking about?

REPLY: I was replying to this from you:

"I know that is your personal opinion but the Geneva Convention specifically states that if you are a nation that signed the Geneva Conventions, but your enemy hasnt, you are still bound to its requirements."

To which I replied: "No, not true. I read the entire thing two days ago."

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I know what you were replying to, but I dont know why you were replying to something addressed to infinte8.

Originally posted by subz

Originally posted by infinite8
I have to disagree with most of you on here. I don't believe the rights of the Geneva Convention should be extended to the people that are from countries outside of the signing.

I know that is your personal opinion but the Geneva Convention specifically states that if you are a nation that signed the Geneva Conventions, but your enemy hasnt, you are still bound to its requirements.

You know the bit that goes "I know that is your personal opinion ", that is refering to infinite8's personal opinion.

Even so, your response to something addressed to infinite8 still does not make any sense. If you read even the first couple of Articles of the Geneva Convetion relative to the Treatment of Prisoners of War you would know that you are bound to it even if who you are fighting is not a signatory to the convention.

Article 2

[...]

Although one of the Powers in conflict may not be a party to the present Convention, the Powers who are parties thereto shall remain bound by it in their mutual relations.
They shall furthermore be bound by the Convention in relation to the said Power, if the latter accepts and applies the provisions thereof.

UNHCR.ch

[edit on 13/7/06 by subz]

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 04:48 PM
link   
quote by subz

Even so, your response to something addressed to infinite8 still does not make any sense. If you read even the first couple of Articles of the Geneva Convetion relative to the Treatment of Prisoners of War you would know that you are bound to it even if who you are fighting is not a signatory to the convention.

REPLY: As has been posted before, again and again, it also describes very clearly who falls under that protection, and a description of the enemy, the GC applies to:

Article 4

A. Prisoners of war, in the sense of the present Convention, are persons belonging to one of the following categories:

2. Members of other militias and members of other volunteer corps, including those of organized resistance movements, belonging to a Party to the conflict and operating in or outside their own territory, even if this territory is occupied, provided that such militias or volunteer corps, including such organized resistance movements, fulfil the following conditions:

(a) That of being commanded by a person responsible for his subordinates;

(b) That of having a fixed distinctive sign recognizable at a distance;

(c) That of carrying arms openly;

(d) That of conducting their operations in accordance with the laws and customs of war.

3. Members of regular armed forces who profess allegiance to a government or an authority not recognized by the Detaining Power.

None of the above apply to, or acan be attributed to, terrorists or insurgents. How hard is that to understand?

It also states: "........ fulfil the following conditions."

It's nott "one or more" of the conditions, but ALL of them; very clear.

[edit on 14-7-2006 by zappafan1]

[edit on 14-7-2006 by zappafan1]

new topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join