It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hunting terrorists from home.

page: 1

join
share:
CX

posted on Jul, 11 2006 @ 08:59 AM
link   
As many of you may be aware, the activities of a few mums in the US have been brought to the publics attention recently. These mums have been hunting al Qaida terrorists online and reporting thier findings back to the security agencies.

Referred to by her spy masters only as "Mrs. Galt," she is by day an unremarkable American housewife and mother. But after her two children go to bed, she plunges into a secret world of Internet chat rooms and Web sites populated by some of the most dangerous people on earth.

Burrowing into the byzantine network of unpublicized Web sites used by al Qaeda and other terror groups for their routine communications, she sweet-talks her interlocutors into revealing their plans, often with fatal consequences for the terrorists.

They have no idea that their supportive new "sister" is a terrorist hunter reporting every word they say to a variety of intelligence agencies.

Source: moms hunt al qaida

Sitting here on ATS and looking at a few of the members here, i'd have thought this kind of "job" would be ideal for many out there? I'm sure the job has it's risks, but the way i see it there are a lot of people who would love dearly to support the WOT in ways like this, and it's something that they could do from home. Many people have a vast wealth of knowledge that would benefit thier country, but are unable to put that into practise outside thier home environment due to various reasons.

If you think about the amount of people who don't work, but after a few years are very skillfull on a computer due to the knowledge they collect online and the non-stop surfing they do around chatrooms and forums. I know that a couple of years as a regular on a forum does not qualify someone to go hunting terrorist groups, but it has potential don't you agree?

How do you think these "mums" became involved in this kind of CT activity in the first place? Did they just come across something suspicious and reported it, then subsequently were put on the payroll so to speak? Do you think the government should make this kind of job more public by way of an application process so others with skills can help our countries too instead of leaving it to the soldiers to do it all?

What are the pro's and con's to this?

CX.

[edit on 11/7/06 by CX]

posted on Jul, 11 2006 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Pros-

More manpower for the War On Terror.

Don't have to pay them when they volunteer instead at their own time.

Some may be proficient on this kind of work than even the employees of the govt.

Cons-

Got no life, let the govt. deal with it, spend time with your kids.

Many are not pros in dealing with this.

Endangering to yourself and your family by allowing the Islamic fundamentalists find out who they are talking to.

Intelligence may most be unreliable.

posted on Jul, 11 2006 @ 09:23 AM
link   
IMHO, I don't think "how" is something to be discussed. By discussing how it could be done could hurt help identify those who are doing it, and hurt the ability to further their efforts. I don't know who all is reading these posts, or how they would use the information.

As to is it helpful, I think that is safe to debate about. If it makes the person doing it feel like they are contributing and not helpless, and also understand the potential consequences of what they do, I'm all for it.

CX

posted on Jul, 11 2006 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by hogtie
IMHO, I don't think "how" is something to be discussed. By discussing how it could be done could hurt help identify those who are doing it, and hurt the ability to further their efforts. I don't know who all is reading these posts, or how they would use the information.

Fair point, i was'nt taking about a step by step detailed outline of how these people get their info, however i think a general insight as to how a person could take thier wish to help in this way further would'nt do any harm.
The media have already exposed this enough already if you ask me. I'm actualy quite suprised they allowed to broadcast this if it's been kept relatively quiet until now. I'm not saying it's been the biggest secret in the world, but it surely did'nt need national recognition.

That said, now people are aware that this kind of thing can help the government, i just think it would be of use to have a place you could contact if you felt you had the skills (language, computer etc) to help.

CX.

new topics

top topics

join