It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GST at 6% - Do You Feel Richer Yet?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Now that the GST has been lowered, do you feel like you've saved any money yet? I sure don't. Yeah, I might be paying 1% less tax on certain things, but I'm also taking home $9.50 cents less a month. With all the hoopla about the cut in the GST, nobody mentions the fact that the tax cuts we got in the last budget have been repealed.

$9.50 might not seem like a lot, but to get that back through GST savings, I would have to spend over $900 a month on GST taxable stuff. I'm cheap. I never spend money.

This sucks.

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Honetly, I forgot.
I guess it is more noticeable when purchasing big items.

posted on Jul, 11 2006 @ 12:57 PM
link   
That's the problem, I never purchase big items. I use transit and I rent. I did notice the GST cut when I grabbed a pizza on the way home last night and it was $5.30 instead of $5.35.

I've recouped $.05 so far, only $9.45 to go.

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 05:52 PM
link   
It's a ridiculous example of propaganda politics. One cent reduction on GST makes little to no difference to the individual. It will mean a loss of billions in taxes for the government. The conservatives will bankrupt the surplus left by Martin and use it to justify slashing social programs. Big business likes impoverished captives - cheap and unquestioning labour.

I wonder if Norway is accepting refugees.

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Some businesses have just absorbed the extra 1% into their prices and aren't even passing the savings along.

I stopped to pick up a newspaper this morning and the box had a big sign on it. It said "The price of the newspaper has the GST included and that price has not changed." Ditto for parking downtown.

posted on Jul, 15 2006 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey
Some businesses have just absorbed the extra 1% into their prices and aren't even passing the savings along.

! That is exactly what I had intended to post the instant I read your thread title. I have noticed also that many places have even raised the price of some things even more.
One example is cigarettes. At a nearby Esso gas station, the price of smokes is now exactly $10.00, whereas anywhere else still ranges from $8.80-$9.90 with the exception of downtown. (I know I know it isn't much, but it does add up)

And- before the thought even begins to form- I know I should quit and I know I wouldn't have this issue if I did

I think the conservatives have, and still make Canadians feel somewhat uneasy, because afterall, the liberals duped us bigtime, and most of us wanted any party other than liberal.
The GST cut was just one more "perk" the Conservatives promised to win us over- and being a minority government, we held them to it.

Bagles at Timmie's also went up 4 cents.

posted on Jul, 15 2006 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by ju stab urden
The GST cut was just one more "perk" the Conservatives promised to win us over- and being a minority government, we held them to it.

It was one of their bigger campaign platforms. If they hadn't gone through with it, there would have been hell to pay. They are picking and choosing which promises to ignore very, very carefully. The GST cut does nothing for lower to middle income people and as it turns out, life is getting more expensive for them. I would have preferred to keep my income tax cut. I was paying less taxes that way.

It makes me sick to watch them trumpet over the GST cut. After all, it was the Conservative party that imposed the tax in the first place.

$10 for a pack of cigarettes? OMG. I've been trying to quit, repeatedly, over the past year. I buy the non-premium brands now, and they are at least $2 cheaper. The government can't afford to have us all quit, they'd have to raise taxes.

posted on Jul, 15 2006 @ 05:52 PM
link   
While they added to my left pocket with the GST cut, they reached into my right pocket and took it right back out again by repealing the income tax cut.

This friends, is playing politics. It looks great come the next election, and they didn't lose any revenue, and might have even gained some.

It was a smart move on the part of the Conservatives. Lowering a tax we see everyday, and hiking one most of us don't pay much attention to.

new topics

top topics

join