It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prob. a hoax, group claims bigfoot capture

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I'm not sure how credible this is but a group has claimed it captured a bigfoot in cambodia in 2003 and will display it soon. What bothers me is the group also claims it has captured all sorts of cryptids like mermaids and such. I tried searching for more info but all I can find is this same article reprinted on several websites.

New Straits Times

Safuan said the P-Team had tracked down and captured a Bigfoot about six-foot tall in Cambodia three years ago.

"We will be bringing it down for an exhibition here as soon as we have enough money to make the transport arrangements," promised Safuan, 48.

"The team members come from Malaysia and neighbouring countries like Indonesia and Cambodia and we go wherever we are needed."

I'm not putting alot into this article or group but I have always thought that south america or southeast asia would be the best spots to find cryptids like a bigfoot. I just wish the reporter would have actually "reported" and gathered some info like what it eats, where it sleeps, body features, anything!!!! That lack of info is what really takes from the credibilty of this claim.

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 08:46 PM
link   
First off there from 3rd world countires looking for money probably, they might bring in a dead carcass of a ape,ect and say it is. And they dont have enough money to transport, it would cost much in a place like that, its a hoax

posted on Jul, 11 2006 @ 03:44 AM
link   
not only can they not affort " transport costs " but it seems they cannot afford cameras either

bottom line is there are plenty of crypoto zoologists with more money than sense , and media groups who would pay big money for a scoop -- all it would take is one picture that looked semi convincing to attract the requisite funding

heck -- even some debunkers like P&T would bite , just to attempt to make the big foot hunters look like idiots

there is money out there if you have an extra ordinary ckaim --- but everyone requires SMOME evidence

posted on Jul, 11 2006 @ 05:21 AM
link   
apparently your finder has been causing all kind's of a problem with the Maylasian Gov. Here's a pic of him.

Bigfoot Captured in Cambodia in 2003? Exhibited Soon?
Safuan Abu Bakar says we all will be seeing a captured Johor-like Hominid soon. What is this all about? Have we vanished down the rabbit’s hole finally and found ourselves in a twilight zone we did not know about existed in Malaysia?
New Straits Times
Spot Light: Supernatural sightings?
09 Jul 2006

Looks as if the group is a conservationist org. here is there site:

www.verifor.org/bibliography/cambodia.htm

As far as it goes trying to translate it , "No Go Joe", I have tried every trick in the book, but here is his resum'e so to speak?

Kuliah Pengajian Tasawuf "Rahsia Solatun Daimun dalam diri si salik"-Ustaz Safuan Abu Bakar (Syeikh Tariqah Qadiriah,Selangor)-7/3/2006

posted on Jul, 11 2006 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Dont believe it. I have fallen for claims like these before and nobody has any proof, not even a picture, not a hair, nothing to prove this. I wonder if this was that same guy on Coast to Coast claiming he had bagged one.
Then he returned to say they had complications and it got away or something!

posted on Jul, 11 2006 @ 03:13 PM
link   
He manages to capture one of the rarest species on earth, but doesn't manage to keep a hair, pic, vid, clipping or anything else?? I'm sry, but this is once again, a false claim.

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I agree with what most people here say, they could already make tons of money just by sending some normal quality pics of the bigfoot to some big newspapers, or even better, make video footage and send that to cnn
, i'm sure that somewhere in that forsaken country there's a working camera

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 02:10 PM
link   
There are only two reasons I can think of for not letting some evidence out to back up the claim:

1) It's a hoax

2) Fear of government interference ie; seizing the animal

posted on Jul, 16 2006 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Trust me this is completely false....

posted on Jul, 16 2006 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Drewsillac
Trust me this is completely false....

Not that I believe this claim, but do you know something we don't? That's what it seems like!

posted on Jul, 16 2006 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Ok, through logic...

Listen, they don't have any evidence, just a claim and faith of people reading it. I don't need faith in something physical.....
No evidence, plus the guys track record....
It's Publicity, hence all of us posting this stuff here.

Where are the pictures, samples, videos, etc, etc, etc.....

On display? Id like to see that.

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 10:59 AM
link   
While I believe this particular claim is probably without merit, I do believe that the remote jungles of Asia and Central/South America hold the best chances of harbouring unique species of all sorts. A bigfoot? Possibly.

The crappy thing here, and maybe it's by design, is that you can't disprove this claim. There's just no eveidence either way. Even if these people never provide proof, I don't know that you could call them liars. You might believe that to be the case though.

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 11:35 AM
link   
yes , it is accepted that we cannot claim to have identified every creature out there

a prime example i use is the " laotian rock rat" -- that was only identified by western science in 2005 , and a live one not captured til 2006 .

the caveat here is " identified by western science " -- the first rock rat was found for sale in a food market -- previously western science had only studdied fossils < 10million years old .

the natives identified it as " all tasty rat , we can catch easy "

the main issue is the rock rat is < 15cm long , and is almost identical to several other rodents .

its rather fanciful to extroplate this kind of case to claim that a population of a 2m tall , 300kg hominid could be hidden in the jungles .

its like saying because you cannot find and erradicate the mice from your basement , there could be a gorrilla hidding in your attic

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape

its like saying because you cannot find and erradicate the mice from your basement , there could be a gorrilla hidding in your attic

No, no it's not. It's like saying........... people here have reported SEEING the gorilla in the attic for thousands of years, but so far we've been busy looking at the rats in the basement.

What can you expect to find when all but the fringe in science take this seriously? You have the established elite in scientific study basically calling large parts of the population around the world liars and crackpots. If you want to make fun of someone...... there's a good target, that kind of arrogance thats so pervasive in elitist science circles.

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by looking4truth

No, no it's not. It's like saying........... people here have reported SEEING the gorilla in the attic for thousands of years, but so far we've been busy looking at the rats in the basement.

UTTER TRIPE .... science has scoured the entire planet -- and reported its findings --
extra ordinary claims require some evidence -- why has a cryptid never been captured or discovered dead ??

as for your " sightings " wht do you take all claims that agree with you @ face value -- the " sightings " going back 1000s of years are bound up with mythologies that are patently false

why do you cherry pick what you believe ?? - and worse then call science arrogant

What can you expect to find when all but the fringe in science take this seriously?

why has the " conventional science " you seem to despise consistantly found new discoveries in ever venue they searched - but NEVER found these strange cryptids ?

you seem to have a very warped view of what science is -- and how it works ,

You have the established elite in scientific study basically calling large parts of the population around the world liars and crackpots.

maybe they are crackpots and liears -- you seem to have blanked this explaination out -- despite the evidence for it . hoaxers are legion -- just look at the ATS archives

just because you diskile the scientists who call claimants liars -- it doesnt alter the fact that many of them are blatant fraunds .

If you want to make fun of someone...... there's a good target, that kind of arrogance thats so pervasive in elitist science circles.

ROFLMAO -- why do you assume so readily that the entire scientific " establishment " has somehow perpetrated a flawless fraud over 100s of years ??

edit to fix quotes etc.

[edit on 18-7-2006 by masqua]

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape

UTTER TRIPE .... science has scoured the entire planet -- and reported its findings --
extra ordinary claims require some evidence -- why has a cryptid never been captured or discovered dead ??

as for your " sightings " wht do you take all claims that agree with you @ face value -- the " sightings " going back 1000s of years are bound up with mythologies that are patently false

why do you cherry pick what you believe ?? - and worse then call science arrogant

You don't know what you're talking about. There are literally hundreds of species that have been "discovered" recently that were thought to be myths or locals confusing species.

National Geopgraphic

For the first time in 20 years, scientists have identified a new primate species in Africa—the highland mangabey. The shy monkey species was already known to local tribespeople called the Wanyakyusa.

Recently a study was conducted around a major US city, Washington DC to be exact, and there were over 1,000 species of animal living there including some not previously known to be living in the eastern US, as well as an entirely new species of beetle.

Species Diversity in "Urban Jungle"

A BioBlitz happening just miles from the White House might sound alarming, but have no fear.

The Potomac Gorge BioBlitz held last month was a 30-hour safari for seldom seen and underappreciated wildlife.

The blitz revealed more than a thousand species living in the suburban and urban environments of the Potomac River Gorge.

A globally rare species of snail, a beetle new to Virginia, and a species of fly never before found east of Iowa were among the surprises revealed by the blitz.

Every year scientist "discover" thousands of new animal species. For a planet that has been "scoured" as you suggested, thats pretty amazing.

20,000 New Species Discovered in 2005

The International Commission on Zoological Nomenclature expects that more than 20,000 species will be described by zoologists in 2005.

This year's discoveries include four species of lemurs from the island of Madagascar, a monkey from Tanzania, an odd-ball rodent from Vietnam, a parasitic ‘vampire fish’ from the Amazon.

And to further prove that your comments are ignorant of fact here is a link to more info on the expected millions of species waiting to be "discovered".

news.mongabay.com...

While Planet Earth is becoming an increasingly smaller and more familiar world as every corner is explored and colonized, there remain millions of species undiscovered and undocumented. A number of significant species have been discovered in recent months, revealing humans’ huge gaps in knowledge of the world around them.

news.independent.co.uk...

Once, the komodo dragon was thought to exist only in folklore. What other mythical beasts might we find if we look hard enough? Helen Brown meets the man on the trail of the ninki-nanka

Published: 12 July 2006

As you read this, a small group of intrepid, pink-nosed Brits are creeping through the Gambian jungle, dodging crocodiles and cobras, in the hope of spotting the legendary "ninki-nanka". (OK, it sounds like a Goon Show plot, but bear with me.) This fabulously named creature is said by locals to resemble a giant reptile, up to 30 feet long and dwelling in the murk of the mangrove swamps.

The "dragon" is rumoured to look rather like a game of zoological "consequences", possessing the body of a crocodile, the neck of a giraffe and the head of a horse with three horns. Less fantastically, the team's leader, Richard Freeman of the Centre for Fortean Zoology, suspects the ninki-nanka of being a species of colossal monitor lizard. "Whatever the truth," he says, "this is the first dedicated expedition to search for this animal."

I don't dislike science. I love science. I also know thatin the last decade alone so much of what we thought we knew about the earth has proven to be wrong or outdated. Science has just discovered signifigant evolutionary changes in some species taking place over a period of two decades not the tens of thousands or millions of years previously thought needed. See this article on galapogos' Finches.

As for bigfoot and several other cryptozoological mysteries there are more reasons possible for not finding them than just that "they aren't there". Imagine if a particularly amazing species was discovered in an area designated for deforestation, all work would have to cease and millions of dollars could be lost. That right there is incentive enough for some unscroupulus people to hide the evidence of newly found species.

And that does happen, read this article about a nearly extinct mystery carnivore in Indonesia thats habitat is about to be wiped out to build a massive plantation. The animal has been photographed, pics are in the article.

Mystery Carnivore

But the Indonesian government is planning to create the world's largest palm oil plantation in this area which would devastate forests, wildlife and indigenous communities. The scheme, funded by the China Development Bank, is expected to cover an area of 1.8 million hectares - half the size of The Netherlands.

Callum Rankine, Head of Species for WWF-UK said: "This is an incredible find, and highlights the urgent need to conserve the unique forests in the Heart of Borneo. This creature - whatever it is - hasn't been seen since the pictures were taken and is therefore likely to occur in very low numbers. It would be a tragedy if it became extinct before it was even described to science - and that is a very real risk."

As for taking the sightings at face value and cherry picking what I believe, I believe some of these sightings have real merit and come from people WHO ACTUALLY LIVE in the habitats, not a professor of anthropology sitting in an office far removed from the area

new topics

top topics

join