It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Dialogue Open Challenge (DOC)[RESULTS!]

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 08:02 PM
link   
It sure is heartening to know that the members submitting stories to this contest have done so with no idea what the prizes are going to be.

I'm very glad that no-one knew until this post, because I'm sure we'd be triply swamped with great stories. it's already a formidable task for the judges. (who I'll be asking soon)

The prizes will be as follows...

1rst is 50,000 points

2nd is 25,000 points

3rd is 10,000 points

Furthermore, I can safely say that there will be applauses awarded to some of the runners up, simply because of the great effort put forth by so many so far.

[edit on 24-7-2006 by masqua]

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 08:15 PM
link   
And i'd like to add that points like that will be appropriate when you consider the excellant submissions that have been received so far.

This contest has rocked! I've enjoyed reading ALL the entries so far.

Those that have entered are the very folks that make this site so worth while.

Love and light my friends,

wupy

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Bumped...

Dialogue Open Challenge (DOC). The rules are as follows:

1. Entries must be at least 500 words in length. Feel free to ballpark it.

2. Entries must be entirely dialogue. Yeah, that's why it's called a 'challenge'. It's supposed to be 'challenging'.

3. Entries must have the prefix (DOC) before the title.

4. Entries must be in before midnight, EST, July 30th.

The prizes will be as follows...

1rst is 50,000 points

2nd is 25,000 points

3rd is 10,000 points

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 06:54 PM
link   
A quick word about the DOC

We called it the Dialogue Open Challenge, but it is also a Dialogue Only Challenge.

There's been a couple of entries which were not dialogue, so I thought it best to make the meaning clear before anyone else makes a mistake and puts an effort into something which can't qualify.

en.wikipedia.org...

The word dialogue expresses a reciprocal conversation between two persons

IOW...it has to be a conversation taking place between two or more people.

Sorry...should have done that much earlier.

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 02:18 AM
link   
This contest was a good idea. I was pleasantly surprised at just how much of a story one can tell by using dialog alone. Great practice for writing!

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Four days to go, everyone! Post your stories. I have...why haven't you?

C'mon. Peer pressure and all that.

DE

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Wow, there is no way that my story is going to place high in this one. There are just too many good ones!!!

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Voidmaster
Wow, there is no way that my story is going to place high in this one. There are just too many good ones!!!

If you feel your story is inadequate, you have 'til the 30th to enter another. We're allowing 2 entries each, remember.

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Yeah, I'm going to have to get started one that 2nd one.
Man, I feel sorry and envious of the judges at the same time. Soooooo many stories to read, but so many of them are good.
*drools*

Good luck Judges, you're gonna need it.

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Any chance that we could stop the promotion of the challenge?. My effort really doesn't need any more competition! Is there a prize for last place?

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I posted my story here.

www.abovetopsecret.com...'

Was that correct?

I also had a conversation with myself so I don't know if it counts or not. but it's out there.

This was the only place I found. I could not find a short story column.

Semper

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 10:11 PM
link   
here dude

www.abovetopsecret.com...

start a new thread with (doc) in the subject box then your title of story.then just paste your story into the post box.

good luck.

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 10:14 PM
link   
AAARGGGHHH

I put it in the wrong place and now it wont let me put it in the right one!!!
"Bullwinkle, that trick never works!:

Can a MOD move it for me???

Please.

Semper

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I got it

I had to edit then delete the old one and enter it in the right category .

Thanks

Semper

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
I posted my story here.

www.abovetopsecret.com...'

Was that correct?

sorry, wrong place

I also had a conversation with myself so I don't know if it counts or not. but it's out there.

This was the only place I found. I could not find a short story column.

Semper

Here's the shortcut to it...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

The Short Story subforum is on the Collaborative Fiction page within a seperate box at the top.

A conversation with yourself isn't a dialogue, unfortunately, so it can't be accepted. Don't feel too badly, others have made the same mistake. It's my fault for not providing an example of what a dialogue is at the very beginning...a conversation between two people.

It's not too late, though, for you to rewrite the story as a conversation...all you need to do is have a listener to your story who responds in their own way. Have a look at the link above to see examples of what other people have done.

I hope you'll give it another shot

masqua

[edit on 26-7-2006 by masqua]

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 11:12 PM
link   
This is cool and a good idea, my first ATS contest

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Masqua,

I took your advice and made the story a dialog.

My other one, that I wrote before I realized what you wanted, wont knock this one out of the running will it?

If so, could you move it for me?

ps. This is a GREAT idea and a wonderful forum for self expression.

Thank You all.

Semper

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I don't know if it is appropriate to post this here or not, but I've really enjoyed everyones stories. Dialogue can be hard to work with, and can also be the guts of a story. Its one thing to put an opinion out in the open, wrong or right, like everyone does on A/B/PTS, but its another thing to put your "work" out there for others to see.
to everyone.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis

My other one, that I wrote before I realized what you wanted, wont knock this one out of the running will it?

Nope, it won't...I understand how things went completely and thanks for working it out.

Good luck in the contest.

masqua

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by hogtie
Its one thing to put an opinion out in the open, wrong or right, like everyone does on A/B/PTS, but its another thing to put your "work" out there for others to see.

How true that is...

I like to make the analogy of the camera and the artist to make that point. Reacting to the stuff that happens in life 'as it occurs' is like taking a snapshot with a camera and looking at the resulting picture and commenting on this or that feature in the photo.

But...creating a mental picture on a canvas with paints and brushes and then looking at the result, commenting on why things look the way they do or what it all means is an entirely different thing...and much harder. Painting with words is the same creative process.

Everyone who contributed took a little bit of themselves and put it into their stories...that's what makes it all so special.

Keep them coming, folks...I'm really enjoying the excercise in reading.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join