It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1 Billion Tobacco Deaths In 21st Century

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Health Officials are predicting 1 billion tobacco deaths in the 21st century. Health officials know how to cut the rate of tobacco deaths by just changing eating habits, that would probably be harder to do than to get them to quit smoking.

Even if the percetage of smokers go down, the future death toll will still go up due to the increase in population.

www.cbsnews.com
Tobacco alone is predicted to kill a billion people this century, 10 times the toll it took in the 20th century, if current trends hold.

"In all of world history, this is the largest train wreck not waiting to happen," said John Seffrin, chief executive officer of the American Cancer Society.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I don't know why the insurance companies aren't pushing for safer cigarretes for smokers. After reading this they probably will be. Health officials estimate that ther are 1.25 billion smokers right now and over have of them will die from this habit.

It was the insurance companies that got seat belt laws passed because people were getting hurt in accidents in cars and costing them money, now if your caught without a seat belt on you get a ticket or fine (it was also costing insurance policy holders more in premiums for people being injured because they weren't wearing
seat belts).

Do you suppose we might see insurance companies pushing to stop/slow/make safer, the use of tobacco.
[edit on 10-7-2006 by Keyhole]

[edit on 7/10/06 by FredT]

[edit on 10-7-2006 by Keyhole]

[edit on 21-7-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I predict nearly ten billion deaths this century.

I also predict over six and a half billion birthdays this year.

Statistics... heh.

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Query: Was not tobbaco use significantly higher worldwide at the turn of the century? I mean, even in the fifties it was high. But in Victorian times and whatnot...was it not endemic?

That said, people are stupid, and those of us with socialized healthcare are taking it in the pants paying for fatasses mowing down on McDonald's morning, noon, and night...much less for people who smoke. I can only imagine how our healthcare system will cope with our bit of those deaths.

DE

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I would love to see the same type of statistics in relation to alcohol and fast food.

The 1 Billion number looks grand, when out of perspective.

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I dont know. Seems all the ones i know that died young did not smoke at all.
My brother-in law just died in his sleep on Friday and he never went near a cigarette. He was 42.
He was overweight and had issues because of this, so i imagine it was due to his weight.

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Even if the percetage of smokers go down, the future death toll will still go up due to the increase in population.

REPLY: Ummmm, if the population goes up, wouldn't the number of smokers go up also?

Did Dan Blather break the story?

The spelling of the link should be: seeBS.com, but I don't think it will work.

For what it's worth, "fast food' isn't the problem, it's the inability to put down the fork, order a salad, and lack of self-responsibility; and yes, we pay dearly for it.

Considering what the costs are to society for health care of Homosexuals, shouldn't the insurance companies also be against that, also, or are they too PC and afraid of being sued bu the ACLU (Aging Communist Losers Union)

dgtempe: Sorry to hear about that.

[edit on 10-7-2006 by zappafan1]

new topics

top topics

join