It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Captain Beefheart!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 05:25 PM
link   
www.beefheart.com

Even here, maybe even here expressely, are people of a group of people who stand in awe of the mossy sounds of Captain Beefheart.

Who are you?
Where are you?
And wots your favorite Beefheart album?

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Yeah here's one.

Trout Mask Replica is by far the best. The crazy noises made that sound so random but were thought out makes me look at Beefy and his Magic Band in awe.

My mum got me into em. She went to see them play aeons ago

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Yeah, that IS the amazing part. Every hiccup, sax fart, obtuse guitar chord, was precisely notated and rehearsed for months on end. Lester Bangs has said that Captain Beefheart will end up being more important to music than the Beatles, similar to Ornette Coleman's influence on jazz.

For my money, I really dig the later period Beefheart-Magic Band. Doc at the Radar Station is my personal fave, with Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) coming in a close second as well...

cool mom too...

Doc

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 12:52 PM
link   
My first Beefheart album was Trout Mask Replica. I loved it. The way it sounded and the way it was executed. I've had some of my friends listen to it and they are convinced I lost my mind somewhere.

I also have Safe as Milk which is a pretty good album.

The only other album I have that Captain Beefheart did something on is Zappa's Hot Rats where he does vocals on Willie the Pimp.

posted on Jul, 15 2006 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Zappa's guitar solo on "Willie the Pimp" sears the mind. It's very touching with Zappa that not only was he an incredible composer with perhaps the most unique grasp of notes and notation of any musician of the 2oth Century, but he also happened to be one of the most bitchin guitar players of all-time...

Check out the album Bongo Fury as well for more of what happens when Zappa and Beefheart share the same musical spaces.

Doc

join