It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Of our Knowledge of the Existence of a God

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2003 @ 07:08 PM
link   

1. We are capable of knowing certainly that there is a God. Though God has given us no innate ideas of himself; though he has stamped no original characters on our minds, wherein we may read his being; yet having furnished us with those faculties our minds are endowed with, he hath not left himself without witness: since we have sense, perception, and reason, and cannot want a clear proof of him, as long as we carry ourselves about us. Nor can we justly complain of our ignorance in this great point; since he has so plentifully provided us with the means to discover and know him; so far as is necessary to the end of our being, and the great concernment of our happiness. But, though this be the most obvious truth that reason discovers, and though its evidence be (if I mistake not) equal to mathematical certainty: yet it requires thought and attention; and the mind must apply itself to a regular deduction of it from some part of our intuitive knowledge, or else we shall be as uncertain and ignorant of this as of other propositions, which are in themselves capable of clear demonstration. To show, therefore, that we are capable of knowing, i.e. being certain that there is a God, and how we may come by this certainty, I think we need go no further than ourselves, and that undoubted knowledge we have of our own existence.

Rest of link...

www.meta-religion.com...

Thoughts on the works of John Locke anyone

posted on Oct, 26 2003 @ 07:10 PM
link   
another very interesting piece from yourself Toltec

From what i've read the man has put alot of thought into his idea's and i must say i subscribe to the idea of us knowing deep down inside there is a higher power.

posted on Oct, 26 2003 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling
knowing deep down inside there is a higher power.

exactly, I despise organized religion and avoid church.

I still believe in God, the creator.

It's something inside that tells me, something I can't deny. To those who don't believe in anything it must sound totally false, because it's something I can't describe, it's something I just know, it's the way I feel.

posted on Oct, 26 2003 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I have the same beef with the godcrowd, i'm happy to worship and acknowledge my god, i do not feel the need to dress in my newest clothes and treat church like a rat race situation as i feel that such actions bring us away from what we're truly there to do.

I have respect for my creator and i also think he see's where we are coming from, Church in this time is nothing but show, sure there are real worshippers who go for the sermon but the majority are there for the wrong reasons, ESPECIALLY the guilt issue and the "i dont wanna go to hell" issue.

There are better ways to acknowledge and celebrate your god, not sitting in a room like sheep.

And to be honest, i believe god would do as we do if he were human.

posted on Oct, 26 2003 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Sounds like you might suport the ideals of Bertrand Russell.

www.meta-religion.com...

posted on Oct, 26 2003 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Locke is of a different time and era. He is an easy read and I like the conservative stoaicism of his work.

There are others after him that get closer to the truth I believe.

posted on Oct, 26 2003 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Theneo do you have links?

new topics

top topics

join