It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My theory, and an experiment for anyone who wants to try

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Hi, all-

I was wondering if any of you would be interested in taking part of an interesting UFO experiment that I came up with?

Last week, I posted a thread about some interesting experiences I've had in my life. (a “tunnel of light” experience I had as a child, and also about a UFO experience I had a few years ago.) In this thread, I also shared my hypothesis about why certain people can or do see UFOs, and other people can’t, or don’t.( It has to do with brainwaves, not belief systems.)

I got quite a few people who told me that I had an interesting theory… and well, the scientist in me has come up with an interesting experiment to test out my theory. I am hoping some of you might be interested in taking part of the experiment. (You could still remain completely anonymous.)

Ok, first here is my hypothesis (theory):

I think that the reason some people see UFOs is because it has to do with the brain state they are in It has nothing to do with their beliefs, or their desire to see a UFO. It has to do with what “brain state” and the “level of consciousness” they are in at the time. There are four major different brain states: beta, alpha, theta and delta. I think that we, as humans, can only see UFOs when we are in a “theta state. ” ( I also think possibly that maybe THEY can only see us when we are in theta, too. It might go both ways.)

If my hypothesis is correct, this could explain certain things, such as:
1. Why UFO abduction experiences often happen at night, when people are sleeping.
2. Why it seems that “crazy people” only report seeing UFO’s, and why there is such a stigma of reporting UFO sightings and abductions.
3. Why people often tend to get abducted while driving down the highway.
4. Why UFOs seem to never “show themselves” to large crowds of people during the light of day.

(If you want to know how I came up with this theory, I’ll put it in the next post.)

Here is my experiment:

1. Pick a night to go out “UFO watching.” For the first 30 minutes, look up into the sky while you are wide awake, and alert (beta state.) See what you see.

2. Then, take about 15 minutes to put yourself into a hypnotic state. (More on how to do that below), until you feel that you are in a hypnotic trance (alpha, theta). Look up in the skies again, and see if you notice anything different.

That’s it.

If you want to participate, let me know! If you want to know how to put yourself into a “theta state” (hypnotic state), read below. I am a hypnotherapist, so I can tell you how to hypnotize yourself a variety of different ways.

[edit on 10-7-2006 by nikiano]

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I'll give it a go. I have no expectations as to outcomes that I'm aware of so I'll report back what actually happens.

List your method for inducing hypnotic states.

I'll work on the hypnotic state for a few days, then begin your experiement.

X

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 10:56 AM
link   
So, let me quickly tell you how I came up with this theory.

1. I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder about 5 years ago. Even though I am a medical professional, medication wasn't working, so I decided to try hypnosis, to see if that woud help. (It did, by the way.)

2. When I was in hypnotherapy school, I learned about the four major different brain states, and that got me thinking about mental illness and UFO sightings in a completely different way.

First, let me give you quick paragraph on the different brain states, so you can understand what I am telling you. ( I learned about the different brain states in hypnotherapy school, but not in college, interestingly enough.)

Ok, so we have 4 major brain states: beta, alpha, theta and delta. Here is a brief description of the different brain states.
-Beta-We are in this state most of the time when we are wide awake, alert, talking, walking down the street, etc…
-Alpha-This is the brain state we are in when we are drowsy, and getting ready to fall asleep. We are also in this state when we are “daydreaming” or reading a book intently, or in a hypnotic state…. or driving down the highway. (Ever drive for 50 miles and not remember the last 20 miles? That is called highway hypnosis, and that is the alpha state!
-Theta-This is the brain state we go to when we are dreaming, or doing some serious creative work or brainstorming.
-Delta-This is the brain state we are in when we are deeply asleep. We are so deep asleep that we are dreaming.

Ok, so remember: the majority of people in this world tend to be in a beta state during normal waking hours.

As I was learning about these brain states, I came up with three hypothesis:
1. I think maybe those of us who are bipolar or schizophrenic, tend to be in a “theta state” much of the time when we are awake (especially when we are hypomanic and manic) and that is why we are so creative, etc…
2. That maybe if I could learn how to control my brain state with hypnosis, I could stop my bipolar symptoms. (It worked. I'm writing a book on that, but that's not what this post is about. I'm not here to promote my book, I'm only incuding this theory because it has relevance to my next hypothesis.)
3. That maybe the only reason why so many “crazy people” (I am including myself in this generalization, so please don’t take offense) report seeing UFOs, is because maybe human beings CAN ony see ships and aliens when we are in a theta state. Maybe the reason why those of us are bipolar and schizophrenic always see UFOs and aliens, is because our brain chemistry/brain waves are often in the theta state while we are awake.

And that got me thinking…..mabye everyone else who sees a UFO or experiences an abduction is also in a theta state!

When do abductions most often occur, and by whom?
1. When people are sleeping (alpha and theta state=dreaming!)
2. When people are driving down the highway (alpha/theta state= highway hypnosis)
3. When people are on drugs (altered state of consciousness)
4. By people are so-called “crazy” (my theory is that mania = theta state)

An entire myth has sprung up in our culture, that only crazy people see UFOs. Well, this is not true, but there is often a bit of truth behind myths. Most people who are “normal” and see UFOs often do not want to report UFOs because they don’t want to be thought of as crazy. The stigma is totally there.

About a year after I came up with this theory, I read a book by Lyssa Royal called “Preparing for contact” and she also said that “aliens told her that we must be in a theta state for us to have alien contact”. I almost fell off my chair when I read that. If it is true, then that means that my hypothesis is not crazy….and that it is true.

My next post is about how to put yourself into a theta stata (hypnotic state.)

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 11:09 AM
link   
There are many different ways to go into a hypnotic state.

I have to go to leave for work in 15 minutes, so I don't have time to elaborate on each method right now, but I will go into more detail after I get home from work tonight.

1. Listen to steady, rhythmic noise, such as drumming (i.e native american or African drumming, chanting)
2. Focus on a point of light for a long, time....until your vision turns blurry
3. Listen to "classical music", such as mozart.
4. Listen to chanting (i.e. Gregorian chanting) or participate in chanting.
5. Listen to the rhythm of the ocean waves.
6. Look into a bonfire....look into the flames for 30 minutes.
7. Count back from 100, going "100....deeper, and deeper....99, deeper and deeper....
6. Lay on teh ground. Imagine roots going from the bottoms of your feet down into the center of the earth, bringing up liquid relaxation into your body. Allow this liquid relaxation to spread bit by bit, all the way up to the top of your head, relaxing each and every body part as you go.

Those are the top 6....I will add more later on tonight, and I will go into more detail later tonight.

-N

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 11:14 AM
link   
P.S. A few months ago, I found out that I have no thyroid gland, and I may not have bipolar disorder at all. I may have been misdiagnosed, and my mania/depression/psychosis may have been caused by my thyroid problems. I may not be bipolar. However, I might be. Who knows!

All I know is that when I was "coming down" from a manic episode, I was still slightly hypomanic, I saw the UFO. But nobody else around me could see it, or would even look. So, that is kind of what got me interested in all of this.

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by nikiano
Hi, all-

I was wondering if any of you would be interested in taking part of an interesting UFO experiment that I came up with?

Last week, I posted a thread about some interesting experiences I've had in my life. (a “tunnel of light” experience I had as a child, and also about a UFO experience I had a few years ago.) In this thread, I also shared my hypothesis about why certain people can or do see UFOs, and other people can’t, or don’t.( It has to do with brainwaves, not belief systems.)

I got quite a few people who told me that I had an interesting theory… and well, the scientist in me has come up with an interesting experiment to test out my theory. I am hoping some of you might be interested in taking part of the experiment. (You could still remain completely anonymous.)

Ok, first here is my hypothesis (theory):

I think that the reason some people see UFOs is because it has to do with the brain state they are in It has nothing to do with their beliefs, or their desire to see a UFO. It has to do with what “brain state” and the “level of consciousness” they are in at the time. There are four major different brain states: beta, alpha, theta and delta. I think that we, as humans, can only see UFOs when we are in a “theta state. ” ( I also think possibly that maybe THEY can only see us when we are in theta, too. It might go both ways.)

If my hypothesis is correct, this could explain certain things, such as:
1. Why UFO abduction experiences often happen at night, when people are sleeping.
2. Why it seems that “crazy people” only report seeing UFO’s, and why there is such a stigma of reporting UFO sightings and abductions.
3. Why people often tend to get abducted while driving down the highway.
4. Why UFOs seem to never “show themselves” to large crowds of people during the light of day.

(If you want to know how I came up with this theory, I’ll put it in the next post.)

Here is my experiment:

1. Pick a night to go out “UFO watching.” For the first 30 minutes, look up into the sky while you are wide awake, and alert (beta state.) See what you see.

2. Then, take about 15 minutes to put yourself into a hypnotic state. (More on how to do that below), until you feel that you are in a hypnotic trance (alpha, theta). Look up in the skies again, and see if you notice anything different.

That’s it.

If you want to participate, let me know! If you want to know how to put yourself into a “theta state” (hypnotic state), read below. I am a hypnotherapist, so I can tell you how to hypnotize yourself a variety of different ways.

I would love to agree with this but there are just far too many holes in your plot, and this explaination is just too simple. I doubt that "ALL" UFO's alien or not, can only be seen under the circumstance in your theory. Its just too black and white. I feel that this phenomena is rich with color, and cannot be pigeonholed so easily.

Phoenix lights-mass sighting. I doubt that the 100% of the winesses where in the theta range.

ROSWELL- was the military in this state of mind when they secured the area?

Im going to try your theory, and Im going to try it with an open mind with the intent and hope that I generate results. I feel that its more likely many beings that we are being contacted by and perhaps some you may have to tune into a certaing frequency but not all.

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 04:57 PM
link   
By plot I mean your theory, I should have been more clear

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Jesus....like I said, it is just a theory. If it has holes in it...fine, it has holes! I never said it was a perfect theory. I just said it was a theory. And I think I made some good points.

The scientist in me wants to do an experiment to see what happens, that's all. LOTS of stupid theories have come and gone in the scientific age. Only by eliminating the wrong ones one at a time, can we find out which theories are correct.

If you think it's a stupid theory or a stupid experiment, fine, then don't participate. I'm not twisting your arm to participate in anything. Like I said, I am looking for people who WANT to participate. It's totally and completely voluntary.

But what really pisses me off is when other people SLAM other people's theories and go all negative on them, just for having the courage to go out on a limb and suggest something. If you don't like my theory, then fine. But unless you have a better one of your own, AND the courage to put it up in front of people, don't be so rude to tell me that my "plot" is "full of holes."

It's not a "plot"....It's a THEORY.

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Interesting theory! That reminds me of the experiments with '___', where many people who took '___' would encounter "aliens" during the time they were on the drug. I remember there being a thread on this before, but I can't find it now. Anyway, that idea coincides with your theory, about the mind states... if you haven't read about it yet, you should... I bet you would find it very interesting and it might add to your theory.

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 10:44 PM
link   
P.S.

Just one more thing....as far as my explanation being "too simple", well maybe everyone else has just been making it too complicated. Ever hear of Occam's razor? The law of succinctness? Basically, it states that the simplest explanations are usually the correct ones, and when you try to throw in too many variables, it just screws things up.

I may not be right, and that's fine. I'm not saying I'm right. But what I am saying, is if it is just "too simplistic", then why hasn't anyone ruled it out long ago? Why hasn't anyone else thought of it? I never even thought of it until I went into hypnotherapy school, and learned about the kinds of phenomenon that happen to people when they go into hypnosis.

And, I have another piece of evidence in support of my theory. In fact, I just happened across it at work today. I have been thinking of buying the book by Dr. Stephen Greer, called the Disclosure Project, so I got on the ineternet today and read about it. I have not read his book yet, but what caught my eye is that I see that he includes a "meditation CD" with his book!

Meditation is like hypnosis! It puts people into the alpha-theta state.

I'm not sure what his purpose for that CD is. Is it to help people contact aliens? To help people see aliens? Or for another purpose? If it is to help people see aliens, that means that Dr. Greer must be thinking along the same lines that I am. (Er, I guess he thought of it first....which means that I am thinking along the same lines that he was.)

Anyway, meditation puts people into a THETA state, also. Meditation, hypnosis....it's all basically the same. I don't know if Dr. Greer is even aware of the theta state connection or not, but the fact that he includes a meditation CD in his book is another piece of evidence to back up my theory.

(By the way, has anyone read his book? Is it worth it to buy it? Has anyone ever tried his meditation CD?)

Sorry for ranting... but I just hate it when people SLAM other people's theories. Especially when the only argument they have is that "it is too simple." You know, it was pretty simple to believe that the earth revolved around the sun, and not the other way around...but everyone back in the dark ages thought that Galileo was crazy for suggesting it, too.

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 10:50 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 10:53 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fear_the_Sheeple
Interesting theory! That reminds me of the experiments with '___', where many people who took '___' would encounter "aliens" during the time they were on the drug. I remember there being a thread on this before, but I can't find it now. Anyway, that idea coincides with your theory, about the mind states... if you haven't read about it yet, you should... I bet you would find it very interesting and it might add to your theory.

Thanks! I'll do that!

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 11:12 PM
link   
I've always wanted to see a UFO! I'll try this on the next clear night. This is perfect timing since it's summer. I sortof wanna be contacted by aliens too. But I don't really wanna be experimented on or probed.

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by nikiano

Originally posted by Fear_the_Sheeple

Thanks! I'll do that!

Here's the book that I read it from: www.rickstrassman.com... Sorry I forgot to include it in my first post! I think it's a great read.

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProudCanadian
I've always wanted to see a UFO! I'll try this on the next clear night. This is perfect timing since it's summer. I sortof wanna be contacted by aliens too. But I don't really wanna be experimented on or probed.

Ha ha! I know what you mean! Me, either.

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Ok, I just thought of another way to test my theory.

I am sure there are LOTS of people on this site who have already seen UFO's and/or aliens.
For those of you who have, it would be interesting to see what percentage of peope were in an altered state while they saw them.

And, by an altered state, I don't necessarily mean on drugs or drunk. An altered state can mean lots of things....such as:
1. Driving down the highway in "highway hypnosis"
2. Being totally absorbed in a book or a movie (this puts you into a light hypnotic trance).
3. Half asleep, or woken out of a deep sleep.
4. Drunk or on drugs. (Ok, to be fair, I do have to include this.)
5. Manic or psychotic
6. Watching a bonfire
7. Listening to classical music (ever hear of the book the Mozart effect? His music puts you into an alpha/theta state.)
8. Meditating or praying.
9. Deep in thought or in a highly focused state of mind.
10. Daydreaming.

Those are just some examples.

So, for those of you who have already seen a UFO, what kind of brain state were you in?

I'll go first. As I mentioned before, I was in a hypomanic state when I saw my UFO. (I was in the process of "coming down" out of a manic state from the week before.) I was not psychotic, and I was with several other people on a sailboat near Kansas City, Missouri, on a small lake. I saw a silver sphere, just hovering above the lake. At first, I jsut thought it was one of those balls you see on powerlines. Then, I realized that there were no powerlines... and that "ball" was really high up in the air....way too high for powerlines.

I tried to get others on the sailboat to look at it, but nobody else would. It was eerie. I finally gave up trying. I got the feeling that I was the ony one that was supposed to see it, athough who knows. I know I wasn't imagining things. I know it wasn't a hallucination. It was a UFO.

Anyone else? What kind of state of mind were you in when you saw a UFO? Were you in an alpha/theta state?

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by nikiano I think that we, as humans, can only see UFOs when we are in a “theta state. ” ( I also think possibly that maybe THEY can only see us when we are in theta, too. It might go both ways.)

Yup you could be right

The next state, theta brainwaves, are typically of even greater amplitude and slower frequency. This frequency range is normally between 5 and 8 cycles a second. A person who has taken time off from a task and begins to daydream is often in a theta brainwave state. A person who is driving on a freeway, and discovers that they can't recall the last five miles, is often in a theta state--induced by the process of freeway driving.

SOURCE

The second example causes accidents too...

Good theory... explains a lot of alien sightings

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 11:37 PM
link   
nikiano:

A couple of things come to mind. I'm not poking at you...just asking.

Do you often have hypnopompic or hypnogogic dream states? Some people have these more easily than others. When I'm stressed out to the limit, I'll tend to have them nearly every night.

The hypnogogic ones tend to be nice. The hypnopompic ones are just awful. Both of them have traditional themes, let's say.

Do I think they're reflective of reality? No. But they can be spectacularly convincing, at least at the time, and for a few minutes afterwards, sometimes for hours, I can't get back to sleep. They seem all the more real because when I have them, at least, my eyes are open and I am seeing the room, with the dream structures overlaid onto what's really there. Very stressful. I did find the secret to waking up during one, and poof! it fades immediately. Sometimes in stages but it immediately becomes less real.

The sleep lab says I'm in delta-theta when it's going on. Once you learn to recognize in your dream state what's happening, if you can wiggle your fingers you'll break the delta-theta pattern.

So, I'll float this as twist #1 on yours. What if some people can have "waking" hypnogogic dream states? Maybe it's no more than your subconscious mind given a Spielbergian pallette to paint with due to your theta state, and you're seeing what you either fear or like deep down; a sort of vivid waking dream state. Do your theta pattern UFO's survive the Bedlam finger wiggle?

posted on Jul, 11 2006 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Tom-

Great post! And I agree with you 100%. That is actually part of my theoory. I just don't think I explained it well enough. I didn't want to go too deep into the mental ilness part of my theory, since I was posting about UFOs.

But, since you've asked, let me explain further.

I have long thoguht that psychosis is just a waking dream state, just like you do. I really do. I believe that when someone is actually so manic that they become psychotic, that they go into the "deep theta/delta" brainwave pattern.... and we start dreaming with their eyes open.

And I believe that sometimes those waking dreams turn into a waking nightmare, because it freaks us out so much. (Imagine not being able to wake up from a dream. It would freak you out, and you would get scared. What happens when you add fear to a dream? You get a nightmare.) Imagine not being able to wake up from your worst nightmare. That is what psychosis is.

So, I totally agree with you. I think many times, psychosis IS a waking dream state. I agree with you.

However, that being said....I wasn't psychotic when I saw the UFO. I was only hypomanic...which comes way before psychosis. Which means, I wasn't that deep into theta state yet...I was probably only in a deep alpha/light theta state. There are varrying degrees of mania and psychosis.

There are varying degrees of mania, depending on how deep the alpha/theta state goes. (At least, that is my theory.) Imagine a bell curve. I think sometimes, in the light alpha/theta we have expanded mental capacities...we are able to see things that other people cannnot see.

Let me give you an analogy of what I'm trying to say, because this is kind of a complicated concept to explain.

Did you see the post on this forum about a week ago, where they sat two cameras right next to each other, and pointed them in the sky? One camera was set on "regular daytime film", and the other one was on "infra-red." The camera with infra-red setting "picked up" UFOs in the very same part of the sky that the regular camera didn't!

So, did that mean that the infra red camera was hallucinating? No, it just meant that the infra red camera was just "tuned" into a different light-wavelenth, and was able to see what other camera could not.

Now, let's say the infrared camera starts to film too fast...and starts to malfunction. Well, then it might start to creat strange images on the film that were never there to begin with. That is like psychosis. But , when the camera is just on infra red, it is able to see into a spectrum where regular cameras cannot see.

When I am in hypnosis or meditating or just sightly hypomanic, I have "expanded abilities." (Lots of people do...that's why so many people practice hypnosis and meditation....to expand their mind! That is why so many people who are bipolar LOVE the hypomanic state...because we are extra gifted when we are in that state.)

However, if I expand my mind too much (like I did in the past), and it freaks me out, I would get totally manic and psychotic. And my camera (my mind), would start to malfunction and create things (delusions, ideas) that were not there.

So, in a nutshell....
Regular camera= everyone who is in a normal, waking, beta state.
infra red camera= people who are in an alpha/theta state, meditating, hypomanic, etc....(has expanded abilities that the regular camera does not have)
infrared camera that is filming too fast and malfunctioning= full blown mania or psychosis (creating things on the film which were never there in the first place)

Does that make sense?

(Plus, I have never hallucinated while manic or psychotic. (I've had delusions, yes. Hallucinations, no.)

Of course, I could be totally wrong, too.
I'm willing to admit that.

[edit on 11-7-2006 by nikiano]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join