It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A New Police Force for a New Country

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Well folks, it's happening. The Iraqi people are coming together and creating a cohesive and substantial democracy. The basic needs are starting to be fulfilled like Hospitals, Schools and water plants.
A well trained and equipped police force is absolutely necessary to ensure the safety and security of those other facilities. Here we see a new police force, one trained by the best the U.S. has to offer. One ready to fully accept the responsibility of the safety of the citizens and the security of internal Iraq.

www.mnstci.iraq.centcom.mil
SAMARRA, Iraq — Months of hard work and constant training are paying off as a well trained Iraqi
Police force emerges in Samarra where one did not exist before. The Police Transition Team,
978th Military Police Company, from Fort Bliss, Texas, attached to the 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 101st
Airborne Division are witnessing what hard work can do. After months of hard training and teamwork, they are
fi nally able to see the end result as policemen from the Thar-Thar Police Station in Samarra demonstrate
to them their ability to defend the station.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“They have come a very long way in a very short time, said Hendricks. It was evident in the way they
conducted their drill today. It was a great experience for all.” The unit as a whole was very happy to have
a hand in taking the policemen at the Thar-Thar station from a basic level of training and experience to a higher
level and helping to facilitate their success. “This was a great learning experience for all of us,” said Hendricks. “It was a
very rewarding mission. One that I’m glad I was involved in.”

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Speaking from experience, I can tell you that there is no feeling that even comes close to helping someone build a life. Watching tiny eyes peaking out from windows, watching you place the support beams for a new hospital or school; or train a police officer.

While we bicker over here about the justification of the war, there are hundreds of U.S. Soldiers and civilian contractors that are there making a difference in the lives of those people. Training their men and women to fill the role of protector in their new country.

Related News Links:
rapidrecon.threatswatch.org
www.mnf-iraq.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Weapons Meet WMD Criteria
Some Good News in Iraq

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Its a bitersweet story with a twist of lemon, please. Its very noble and good everything our soldiers have accomplished. I support the troops, however i do not support the man behind the troops. If it weren't for our invasion into said land, many of those children and families who perished would be around...We're repairing what we destroyed. As well we should. And may i ad we're a little late?

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 09:00 PM
link   
What about the news report in Baghdad today?

The BBC cameras, showed the Police driving right passed a bunch of armed men who were Sunni and openly telling the BBC they were going to kill any Shia muslims they found. A well trained, decent Police Force would be protecting the people from what happened today as people were dragged from their car and shot.

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 09:05 PM
link   
News from Iraq are not the nice pretty stories that we may want to hear or see.

I have been in a few Iraqi news sites . . . and to tell you the true all they show is the downside of life in that nation.

All you see is the death toll and attacks on civilians.

Although a nice police force and a strong steady government is the ideal . . . is still to far away to claim victory.

Nice thread but reality stinks.

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I hate to post a negative comment about a positive idea...but its kind of hard to accept your article as even remotely close to the truth when held up with todays Headlines, "More than 40 killed as gunmen storm Baghdad area"....today.reuters.com...

While i really would like to see some good come from this "War" i really feel that we have done nothing more than stir up a hornets nest.

While I dislike and disapproved of the way Saddam ran his country he did keep ppl from killing eachother....and we have thus far be impotent in that regard. Wether it be terrorist cells or just good ole fashion racism either way Iraq is not quite the rosy picture ur article paints it to be.

I mean with opening statements like this, how much can you trust this article.

“It’s hard work, because we face an enemy that will kill innocent people in
order to achieve an objective, and their objective is to drive us out of Iraq so
they can have safe haven from which to launch attacks against modern Muslim
nations, so they can spread their ideology of hate,”

Yeah...sure Mr. Bush...You have to deal with ppl sacraficing thier lives for your agenda. This whole concept that the Ruling Elite get to sacrafice us lil guys for thier goals and aspirations is really brought to a Head with the current "Commander and Chief"

“Increasing electricity in Baghdad is not the kind of thing that tends to get on
the news, or small business formation,... new schools or new hospitals,” he said.
“That’s something I have to deal with in order to make it clear to the American
people that the sacrifice of those famies is worth it. We are Winning!"

No i realize that I have taken quite a negative stance on this article but i really just cant stand American Propoganda....mostly because I get enough of it on the Radio, Television, and Internet.

It is important to remmember that WE the people of this nation created this situation by allowing our elected officals to do the things they are doing. Iraq is not likely to get much better than a lil electricity here and maybe a hospital up for a week before its the target of violence becuase it services Shiites or Sunnis or Kurds.

I am sorry my friend that the first comment on ur article is negative but it is just the way I feel about the situation.

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 09:23 PM
link   
If all that you look for is the negative, it is a sure bet that is all you are going to see.

It is human nature to love the thrill in a bad news report. It is much harder to accept that there is a LOT of good going on over there.

But view it as you will, me? I'll keep looking for the good in man, not expecting the bad.

Semper

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by DgTempe

Its a bitersweet story with a twist of lemon, please. Its very noble and good everything our soldiers have accomplished. I support the troops, however i do not support the man behind the troops. If it weren't for our invasion into said land, many of those children and families who perished would be around...We're repairing what we destroyed. As well we should. And may i ad we're a little late?

How about the fact that through the sanctions, which Russia, China, Germany and france among others wanted to continue, in 10 years 500,000 children died as a direct result of those actions?.... If in the three years that have passed Russia, China, France and Germany would have gotten their way there would have been an additional 150,000 children dead, without counting adult casualties.

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Semper, thanks a lot for posting this. if anything this thread shows that some people only want to hear and only believe that there is only death and violence going on in Iraq.

Some people will never accept the good things happening over there nomatter what. They have it in their minds that they must use this as their case for bashing and blaming the present administration, and they will never relent from that goal.

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib
Some people will never accept the good things happening over there nomatter what. They have it in their minds that they must use this as their case for bashing and blaming the present administration, and they will never relent from that goal.

And some people worship the present administration so much that their ideology will not allow them to see that mistakes have been made in both planning and execution and it is nothing more than a money pit to enrich the elite and has precious little to do with bringing "freedom" to the Iraqi people.

The truth is always about who profits.

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

And some people worship the present administration so much that their ideology will not allow them to see that mistakes have been made in both planning and execution and it is nothing more than a money pit to enrich the elite and has precious little to do with bringing "freedom" to the Iraqi people.

The truth is always about who profits.

I do not worship the present administration....and i have in the past presented my opinion against some of the things done, such as the dubai deal. Even when the president decided to say that they haven't found wmd and it appears that there are no wmd stockpiles in iraq, I kept presenting evidence which proves that at least up the beginning of the war there were wmd stockpiles over there.

If i was just following the party line and i worshiped the present administration, then i am doing a very bad job... But how many of you have presented the facts, for example about Moore telling lies and exagerations?... never...that's what i have seen, and that is what "following the political party line" is all about..

[edit on 9-7-2006 by Muaddib]

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Let me pose a question : If all the major cities in Iraq had a peaceful few days and only one had a car bomb with several people killed what would be reported on the news ? We in the west have a distorted picture of whats going on because our news agencies only like to report bad news.

Switch on the TV and see how many "bad" news items there are compared to "good" news items. You'll always hear about the bus crash but not the rescue of a drowning man (unless the rescuer was unusual like a dog or child with no arms !)

Just for the record Bush is maniac in my opinion. The reason I know for certain that we are getting a distorted picture is that my son is in the army.

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Odium
A well trained, decent Police Force would be protecting the people from what happened today as people were dragged from their car and shot.

A well trained police force would try not to get their asses shot off in the process. You ahve to remember that the country is still in a state of war, and the police simply aren't armed or trained to take on local militias.

DE

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 02:44 AM
link   
How soon do you think this new police force will become corrupt and accept the bribings of future warlords? After all, that place is blown to hell. The US can't even control warlords (Gang development after Katrina).

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 06:35 AM
link   
I have no idea AD, yet can we at anytime regulate our actions for good based on other past actions of evil?

Can I ever say I'm not going to arrest that crack dealer, because there will just be another one tomorrow? Why even repair NO, there will just eventually be another hurricane?

See the analogy? We have to do the right thing, if evil steps back in, then we just keep fighting the good fight.

Semper

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Semper I have no idea whether this report is true or not....this administration has a very bad track record of planting "news", whether its true or not, that is favorable to it. That is part and parcel of why this war is so difficult to gage. Judged based soley on the news, their readiness, muchless their effectiveness is seriously exagerated.

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 06:47 AM
link   
It's hard to be positive when you read this on a daily basis. :shk:

Just another day in Iraq

[edit on 10-7-2006 by dgtempe]

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Not really, if that’s ALL you’re reading on a daily basis about Iraq then you’re missing half the story. Like others have said its not all doom and gloom in Iraq.

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 01:38 PM
link   
WestPoint23

Reality sucks but if the bombing and murdering every minute of people would happen in the US you would think that . . . it was chaos and mayhem and would be screaming for something to be done and fast.

But. . . because the news come from sources and it doesn't hit you close we can all speculate and wonder.

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Umm... murders do happen in the US almost every minute, probably more people have died in the US in the last 3 years than in Iraq but I doubt that’s what you meant. What I’m trying to say is that despite all the attacks against civilians in Iraq progress is being made, its just gets overshadowed, the security issue is a major one but its not the ONLY issue in Iraq.

[edit on 10-7-2006 by WestPoint23]

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 02:26 PM
link   
A New SHIA Police Force?

Because I highly Doubt that there are any Sunni Police Officers being Trained.

Well that will certainly bring a "Balance" to the Civil War in Iraq raging today.

Lets see what Shia are doing for the "Peace" in Iraq:

Dozens die as sectarian attacks escalate in Iraq

Iraq moved further towards all out sectarian civil war yesterday after Shia gunmen attacked a Sunni district in Baghdad, killing at least 42 people. Many were dragged from their cars at two fake police checkpoints and shot dead.

Saad Jawad Kadhim al-Azzawi, the Shia owner of a supermarket, said he saw heavily armed men drag four people out of a car, blindfold them and make them stand by while they forced five other men out of a minivan. "After 10 minutes," he said, "the gunmen took the nine people to a place a few metres away and opened fire on them."

The slaughter of people with the "wrong" identity cards in the heart of the Iraqi capital has not happened on this scale before, and marks a serious escalation in sectarian hatred. Tit-for-tat mass killings are now commonplace. In an act of retaliation for the massacre of Sunnis in Jihad district, two car bombs exploded near a Shia mosque in the evening, killing 17 people and wounding 45.

Will the "New Police Force" be any Different?

Well...

Police Abuses in Iraq Detailed

Confidential documents cover more than 400 investigations. Brutality, bribery and cooperation with militia fighters are common, a report says.

Brutality and corruption are rampant in Iraq's police force, with abuses including the rape of female prisoners, the release of terrorism suspects in exchange for bribes, assassinations of police officers and participation in insurgent bombings, according to confidential Iraqi government documents detailing more than 400 police corruption investigations.

Officers also have beaten prisoners to death, been involved in kidnapping rings, sold thousands of stolen and forged Iraqi passports and passed along vital information to insurgents, the Iraqi documents allege.

The alleged offenses span dozens of police units and hundreds of officers, including beat cops, generals and police chiefs. Officers were punished in some instances, but the vast majority of cases are either under investigation or were dropped because of lack of evidence or witness testimony.

Brutality?

Corruption?

Torture?

Kidnapings?

Bribes?

Assassinations?

Rape of Female Prisoners?

Participation in Bombings?

Beating to Death?

Wonderful...

[edit on 10/7/06 by Souljah]

new topics