It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who thinks ATS should downsize?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Obviously, I do. I really do miss the days when ATS was just ATS, small and of a "specialty" nature. Nowadays, the diversity of members (diversity of personalities and interest, NOT opinions), as well as additions like PTS and even BTS makes the whole place not quite as fun or serious any longer. It just seems to be an age-old attempt to corrall the mainstream, which at most only has a passing interest in the matters at hand. ATS used to be the haven for "junkies," as I describe myself.

Then that's just me. I've always looked at ATS as sort of an oasis in the WWW, a place where nothing but smart, intellectual debates take place. They still do, but it seems to be the minority now. ATS always had potential to be a CATO Institute-type thing in the future, but that really doesn't seem to be the case any longer.

I love ATS, but I wish they hadn't gone the course they did. :bnghd:

[edit on 9-7-2006 by sweatmonicaIdo]

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 07:45 PM
link   
The more conspiracy minded members tend to hang out on the ATS Main Board, and those with political opinions gravitate toward PTS. A lot of the members contribute to those areas of the boards, but they hang out on BTS for the pure enjoyment of belonging to an on-line community that is the quality of ATS.

It's all good, and to each his own.
But to downsize would be a step in the wrong direction.

[edit on 9/7/2006 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I'm afraid it's not going to shrink any time soon. With the TV show in the near future the size is probably going to explode. I can't wait

wupy

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 09:18 PM
link   
What is the status on that TV show, where will it be aired, and who can appear?

I think ATS should choose to oncenrate on certain things and leave it at that. BTS and PTS are all things you can find hundreds of throughout the Internet, the original ATS is very original.

Downsize!!!

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I too miss the ATS of old, but i don't want a downsize. The only time I have trouble with ATS's size today is when I'm trying to follow a busy thread. just an hour break from reading could mean 15 or 20 long posts to go through. But I think ATS should stay the way it is.

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Downsize ATS? Why? Why would someone want to actually limit the scope and breadth of information that is available? The more people, the more members, the more opinions, theories and concepts that are shared enriches everyone. To limit ATS would be like limiting the study and discussion of mathematics to "just addition". To truly grasp math you need to encompass all aspects. The same holds for ATS.

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by benevolent tyrant
Downsize ATS? Why? Why would someone want to actually limit the scope and breadth of information that is available? The more people, the more members, the more opinions, theories and concepts that are shared enriches everyone. To limit ATS would be like limiting the study and discussion of mathematics to "just addition". To truly grasp math you need to encompass all aspects. The same holds for ATS.

The thing is, the diversity of information also means there is far too much stuff that is just plain unconstructive and of little relevance. Like I said, I like the diversity of ideas, but an unwanted side-effect is that there is also WAY too much dust that fills up the room.

Also, the scope and breadth of information you refer to are stuff of little relevance to ATS and the punditry and bantering and "opinion-worshiping" that goes on in just about every other forum in cyberspace. I always believed ATS was above that.

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 01:15 PM
link   
i'm relatively new to the site, but i also think that ATS is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat to big. information get uncentralized and it gets difficult to follow and even find relevant discussions. you can do that but not in 5 minutes.

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Allow me to say *Phew*

Nothing grinds my grits more than a member who has registered for a day or two and starts throwing up threads about how to make the board better or how bad certain things are. Not say their ideas are not worthy of the board, but until you have experienced all of it you really should keep your opinion inside.

I can understand where you come from, a member who was here from the beginning may dislike what ATS has become. Others may not.

But the mission statement of ATS is to Deny Ignorance

So keeping that in mind, the bigger the board becomes the greater the service becomes. As long as we have a strong staff behind our community, it should not matter how big the board becomes. The members who take this serious will remain, new members will come along to make us stronger while others will continue to be weeded out.

to the future.

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 02:17 PM
link   
It's like cable TV..
More, and More channels.
It's nice to have more and more options.
You have to surf around, you'll eventually find your niche.

new topics

top topics

join