It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The reason we go to church

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2003 @ 05:54 PM
link   
How much $$$ one makes and donates doesn't have anything to do with how *deeply* one cares and should not be the better man because of donations..the true donation comes from the heart and soul not paper in hand, handed over to faces unseen..Sorry tis true

posted on Oct, 30 2003 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by magestica
How much $$$ one makes and donates doesn't have anything to do with how *deeply* one cares and should not be the better man because of donations..the true donation comes from the heart and soul not paper in hand, handed over to faces unseen..Sorry tis true

you're right, because it doesnt matter what you do at all. keep in mind that it all depends on what you are trying to do/what you believe in. i just pointed out that it was pretty darn kind of his uncle to give around half his salary away to the needy. not many people can do that. and it's unfortunate, but true that you need money to do most things in this half-rotten world. that including the helping of others.

posted on Oct, 30 2003 @ 06:17 PM
link   
In defense of my uncle; As I stated before, he is an Athiest and I can't see how he would believe that he will self benefit from any of it. Not like he believes it will bring him favor in the eyes of god. I don't know him extremely well because he moved to the East coast 3 years back, but the only motive that I can think of is that he really does care.

He works hard for his money and then gives around half of it away. Putting time into helping someone would be a good deed, correct? Well, he spends lots of time earning money and then gives it away. And the fact that he can not see the person he is helping as a point against what he does is illrelevent. It just means he can see past his little world to something outside of it. Besides, I think he gets pictures and letters from the some of them. And my grandmother has cancer which he donates research money to.

[Edited on 30-10-2003 by TheManWithThePlan]

posted on Oct, 30 2003 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I apologize..you are right if YOU feel you are doing something to help others it shouldn't matter HOW you do it. But it annoys me that people in general think that sending money to a cause they have NO clue is even receiving think they are doing a wonderful deed.

Get in there physically and HELP someone with your hands and your heart then YOU decide which has the greatest reward for the one in need..It's not about money people. Money does not bring true happiness in spirit and money can be forgotten especially when there is no face except benji's on it..

Throwing a benji to someone in need is like looking down at them and walking away not even caring what they do with it or where it even goes.

And there is no arguing with me on this one

posted on Oct, 30 2003 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I know in defense of your uncle which truly isn't here to provide all the facts anyway..So he is an atheist? And he sends money ALOT to a needy cause..it still does not impress me as much as someone who gives with their heart instead of material things. But, you are right, if he feels he is doing something to help the world, then it's all that should matter.

I just know what I personally would rather have and would appreciate more and never forget etc..

posted on Oct, 30 2003 @ 06:30 PM
link   
My uncle is over 50 years old and is a civil engineer, not a biochemical engineer. He would not know how to find a cure for cancer.

I think he is probably doing more good building bridges and providing resources(through "benjis") then what would come of it if he went to Africa to physical educate kids.

I can see more of what you are saying and you are correct. Bill Gates gives billions away but he isn't really sacrificing like some others are. Like those Aid workers and doctors in some countries where there is violence. They may just sacrifice their lives while bill gates sacrifices his ranking on the forbes 500 wealthiest people in the world. You are correct; It isn't the amount of money that you spend, its the amount that you care.

[Edited on 30-10-2003 by TheManWithThePlan]

posted on Oct, 31 2003 @ 02:27 PM
link   
While I agree that money is not a way to find happiness, it is very necessary. If it weren't for the donations of people who care, but maybe aren't able to volunteer much time to a charity, most charities wouldn't be able to function. It is more personally rewarding to give a poor child or a homeless person something to eat, and there is no substitute for the human touch, but to give 1/2 your wages in donations is nothing to sneeze at. The average person does neither one most of the time. With money being so many people's god nowadays, I think it is very admirable for TheManWithThePlan's uncle to give it up so freely.

Also, having a father in construction, I know that many people in that field work far longer and harder hours then the average employee. My father and grandfather used to go to work at 6am and work in the sun and rain until 7 at night. It doesn't really leave a lot of time for volunteer work.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join