It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. losing terror war because of Iraq, poll says

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 01:13 PM
link   
www.columbusdispatch.com.../2006/06/29/20060629-A3-00.html

[edit on 9-7-2006 by SteveG]

Mod Note (This Appears On Every New Thread/Post Reply Page): MEMBERS: Do not simply post news articles in the forums without comment. If you feel inclined to make the board aware of current events, please post the first paragraph, a link to the entire story, AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item.

[edit on 9/7/2006 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 02:20 PM
link   
In other news, water runs downhill.

The massively unpopular Iraq War is the best thing that ever happened to the fanatical Islamists. It's like we're spending hundreds of billions on a massive recruiting campaign on behalf of Al Quaeda.

The stupidity of it all is almost incomprehensible.

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Iraq, Vietnam, Korea... three countries that the U.S. had no business invading.

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 04:36 PM
link   
The US invaded Korea? I was under the impression that North Korea invaded South Korea, that US forces in location helped to hold a line along the Nakdong river, and that the UN came to the aid of South Korea.

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Willard856
The US invaded Korea? I was under the impression that North Korea invaded South Korea, that US forces in location helped to hold a line along the Nakdong river, and that the UN came to the aid of South Korea.

Maybe he can answer that. After all he is a scholar.
Not to mention that there was two Vietnams, not one.

posted on Jul, 11 2006 @ 12:58 AM
link   
I am starting to change my mind about the Iraq war, there are 2 things that are beginning to convince me Bush might not be the dumb fool I have thought he is.

1) Kuwaiti women ran for office last week. Anyone with half a clue of the region should realize how significant that is. Whether people want to admit it or not, that is exactly why it was important for Hillary to talk about womens rights in Palestine when she was first lady. Where changes happen that benifit women, societies change, and Kuwait is changing.

2) This is a growing trend and perhaps the most significant development as a result of the war. You can also see it in action on other forums in other places. Before Iraq it was absolutely impossible to believe that an Arab country would actually support Israeli actions against the Palestinians on the moral judgement of choosing sides based on who values human life and who does not.

Anyone who misses how absolutely important this development is doesn't understand Jihad or Arab culture today. If this continues, and if it represents the attitude of a majority of Iraqi's and not just the internet community of Iraq, it is much needed reminder to those in denial regarding how absolutely powerful freedom is as a weapon against sheltered cultures in the world.

Think about how many stereotypes are being broken. If it indeed works, then for me, despite my 3+ years of criticism (and contempt in general) of the Bush administration, I'll admit I was wrong.

posted on Jul, 11 2006 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Enough has been said about Iraq five times over with hardly anything new being added. People should turn there eyes to the space race both China and India have spoken about going to the moon.
The question is will the space/superpower race remain an econmic race or will the loses start a space war ?
I think the losers will try and come back from the brink and trigger WW3 in space.

posted on Jul, 11 2006 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by darksided
I am starting to change my mind about the Iraq war, there are 2 things that are beginning to convince me Bush might not be the dumb fool I have thought he is.

1) Kuwaiti women ran for office last week. Anyone with half a clue of the region should realize how significant that is. Whether people want to admit it or not, that is exactly why it was important for Hillary to talk about womens rights in Palestine when she was first lady. Where changes happen that benifit women, societies change, and Kuwait is changing.

Rage does not spark good change. Always remember that and U.S. is teetering on the brink of destruction while taking a imperial stance on presence in the Middle East.

And anyone with half a clue should realize the poverty level,violence level, chemical poisoning level,corruption level in Iraq are pretty ignorant for this administration to continue to blindly endorse these policies that are flourishing the negatives with no freaking over sight. And I have a prediction for you: women in america are going to get their civil rights hindered more as time progresses. Don't you love how the pendulum swings?

Boys n girls can you say Theocracy ...

It's about P-R-O-J-E-C-T-I-O-N You got to love it.

posted on Jul, 11 2006 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by MRGERBIK
Always remember that and U.S. is teetering on the brink of destruction while taking a imperial stance on presence in the Middle East.

Where is the evidence the US is teetering on the brink of destruction? I'm not talking anicdotal evidence of some random court case in the middle of California either, nor the actions of one political figure who is easily replaced by elelections. Teetering on the brink is a bold statement, so surely you have an example of a massive trend that cannot be reversed showing this impending doom to back up your bold claims.

Lets face it, if the US is teetering on the brink of destruction, and we have it better than virtually every country in the world with our freedoms, rights, liberties, economic power, military power, and people power then where does that leave the rest of the world? How bad must it be for them not to have it as good?

Sorry, your paranoia is not an accurate reflection of reality, and your facts and evidence, or more specifically lack thereof, is proof.

The War on Terror is a war of idealism, not a war won with guns. It is a war between those who believe in the equivilent of religous dictatorship with no value on human life vs those who believe in freedom, liberty, and the value of people as power. The evidence in both Iraq and Afgahnistan shows that freedom is what is winning, not only on the structural governmental level, which in any country is a slow, corrupt, cumbersome, diorganized mess on virtually every level, but more quickly and apparently on the political hearts and minds level where the battle truly is waged.

Here is something for you to always remember. Every government is inefficient at best, a master of disaster on a good day, and can never satisify even the most moderate of requirements for any issue. I agree Congressional oversight could help the problem, but that would be asking the US congress to earn the people's votes, something rarely done in a two party system where ideology decides elections more than individuals do.

top topics

join