It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman Seeks to Clear Witch of Pungo

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 09:57 AM
link   
A tale of witchcraft and fear, now centuries old, A woman once named witch, met her judgement at the hands of a mob full of rage and pure ignorance, Now may have a chance of having her name cleared if a Virginia woman has her way.

Full Article Link

VIRGINIA BEACH (AP) — Grace Sherwood was a healer, a midwife and a widowed mother of three sons. Her neighbors thought she also was a witch who ruined crops, killed livestock and conjured storms.

On July 10, 1706, the 46-year-old woman was tied up and "ducked" — dropped into a river — in what is now Virginia Beach. The theory behind the test was that if she sank, she was innocent, although she would also likely drown.

She floated — proof she was guilty because the pure water cast out her evil spirit, according to popular belief at the time.

Three hundred years later, a modern-day resident of this resort city has asked the governor to exonerate Sherwood, Virginia's only convicted witch to be tried by water.

Amazing the power ignorance once had when spread through rumor and speculation, later taken by some as fact.

So, would you sink of float?

Never underestimate the power of ignorance.

Deny it to death!

Gazz

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Wow that's real interesting, and i do hope that her names gets redeemed,

If anything it will bring to light the history of the place which in tern is a good thing for the youth,

Interesting topic, and i wonder if this goes ahead will it start a snowball over others who have family connections way back then,

Interesting,

[edit on 9-7-2006 by asala]

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 01:05 PM
link   
It is such a shame that many people of great knowledge and power met this same fate.

While I do not neccessarily blame people for reacting in such ways,being limited to the knowledge which they have gained in their lives,and thinking in such ways,it says alot about where and what we come from.Im glad to see something like this happening.DENY IGNORANCE!!!

join