It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Airbus With 200 People Crashes In Russia - Many Dead

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 10:08 PM
link   
There has been a planecrash in Russia. An airbus crashed on the runway in Irkutsk, Siberia and caught fire. There are several dead but they are not sure how many yet. I'm looking for links...

--------------
edit:
BBC says more than 150 are feared dead.

BBC: Passenger plane crashes in Russia

Breaking news

The aircraft appeared to run out of control on landing, overshooting the runway then crashing through a concrete wall before hitting a building close to the airfield, breaking up and catching fire.

Several passengers were seen jumping from the wreckage.

It is thought all the aircrew died.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Other Sources:
CNN: '150 dead' in Russian jet crash
Channelnewsasia.com: More than 150 dead in Russian Airbus accident in Siberia: agency

[edit on 2006/7/8 by Hellmutt]

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 10:10 PM
link   
------------------------------

[edit on 2006/7/8 by Hellmutt]

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 10:17 AM
link   
What I am confused about are the reports that 25 are missing or ran/walked away from the plane and never returned??? Wonder if it had terrorists on board?

Source

[edit on 7/9/2006 by shots]

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 10:21 AM
link   
To tell you the truth, I'm scared to death when I board an Airbus plane versus a Boeing. It's not some stupid nationalism, but it seems for every Boeing crash there's like 10 or more Airbus crashes.

Anyway, look at the equipment (type of plane) used on a flight and take what you're most comfortable with. Sometimes a noon flight is on an Airbus but a 2 PM flight is on a Boeing.

It may be a roll of the dice, but to me, I'd rather take the Boeing flight.

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Whats really sad is that it said the majority of passengers were little kids on their way to a holiday resort.

AS for terrorists, it is a possibility,especially Chechnyan terrorists, as they have attacked civilian airliners before.

But right now that cause remains low on the list of possible causes. Usually, when terrorism is involved, the media will usually mention that there might be terrorism involved, as usually right after such an incident, the terrorists are bragging about their handywork. They also are known to phone in warnings right before the incident.

It could be just a very tragic accident. Ill not jump to conclusions yet.

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
AS for terrorists, it is a possibility,especially Chechnyan terrorists, as they have attacked civilian airliners before.

Is there any evidence this was terrorism?

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
To tell you the truth, I'm scared to death when I board an Airbus plane versus a Boeing. It's not some stupid nationalism, but it seems for every Boeing crash there's like 10 or more Airbus crashes.

I do not think it is that high but the ratio of Airbus versus boeing crashes concerns me too. When I make reservations I always check the aircraft type and confirm it with reservations before I will make my res. There ain't no way you getting me on one of those things, no way :shk: :shk: :shk:

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 10:31 AM
link   

No. I was just wondering if there was a possiblity knowing that the Chechens have terrorized planes in the past. Pure speculation on my part

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Among those on board the plane was the head of the FSB security service for the Irkutsk region, General Sergei Koryakov, officials said...continuesabc.net.au

FSB

Makes one think perhaps a 'plot'.

sanc

edit: link

[edit on 9-7-2006 by sanctum]

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by sanctum

FSB

Makes one think perhaps a 'plot'.

sanc

Interesting. Wonder if Russia uses their special services as Air Marshals or as you mentioned perhaps a plot to knock him off???

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 11:05 AM
link   

posted by sanctum

Among those on board was the head of the FSB security service for the Irkutsk region, General Sergei Koryakov . .
[Edited by Don W]

Makes one think perhaps a 'plot'. sanc

From a Blog on the Airbus

#7088, "Airbus nosewheel"
Having a problem with steering the airbus, problem is, its only started to occur within last two weeks and hasn't been an issue until now. Here's whats happening. On taxi to runway, it works fine. No problem and all quite smooth. However, after I land the nosewheel seems uncontrollable. It jumps left constantly and I end up see-sawing all the way to the gate. Engines are fine and equal power. I can actually see the nosewheel jumping to the left when on Spot view. Its like I've damaged the nosewheel on landing, but I've got damage disabled. Any ideas folks ?

Drew
forums.avsim.net...

mod edit: stay on topic please. Also that link is a flight simulator.

10-4

[edit on 7/9/2006 by donwhite]

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Not yet. Its still quite early. They are still trying to find bodies and survivors from what I am reading. Its not totally ruled out though. Its just one of several possibilities at this stage, including mechanical failure, pilot or other human error, freak weather, ect.

As for Boeing vs Airbus, do you have any data to support that Airbus crashes more than Boeing? Preferably from a country that has high aviation standards, as countries with lower standards cant really be relied upon when rating performance of aircraft because of amny other factors.

I have never ridden in an Airbus myself, but would not imagine it being any different from a Boeing.

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Yeah, well I'd like to add it seems to me almost everytime a Boeing crashes, it's attributed to some type of pilot error or really bad weather etc., whereas most Airbus crashes are attriubted to equipment failure.

This is just my own thoughts from seeing the news, if anyone has some hard evidence revoking my thought, please post it.

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Seems like more people have managed to survive. They say 137 died and 70 survived. However, there were 200 on the plane and 137+70=207 so I guess they are not sure about these numbers, or maybe some people on the ground were killed as well? Hydraulic brake failure is mentioned as a possible cause of the accident.

AFP: Up to 137 dead in Siberia plane crash

The incident occurred when the Airbus A310 careered off the tarmac early Sunday in slippery conditions, possibly due to a hydraulic brake failure, according to an enquiry official.

The plane then broke through a wall and ploughed into the garage complex used by local residents, officials said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 02:33 PM
link   
To be fair, the track records of Russian airlines as a whole is fairly abysmal. It does make you wonder at the quality of the groundcrews/maintenance crews employed within these, shall we say, less financially endowed nations.

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Well the old Soviet Russian Tupalovs aren't even allowed to fly over most if not all western nations because of their safety records.

As far as Boeing vs. Airbus my statements are completely anecdotal from my personal news-watching. If someone can find some actual data, please post it.

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 05:25 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Well the old Soviet Russian Tupalovs aren't even allowed to fly over most if not all western nations because of their safety records.

As far as Boeing vs. Airbus my statements are completely anecdotal from my personal news-watching. If someone can find some actual data, please post it.

Airbus has had problems with the tail/rudder on some of their planes in the past. The AA flight right after 9/11, the tail snapped off in wake turbulence, an Air Transat flight, the rudder snapped off, another one part of the rudder snapped off. I don't have links to the stories, but I know that at least twice, possibly three times that *I* know of the rudder or part of the rudder separated from the plane.

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 06:01 PM
link   

posted by KhieuSamphan

To be fair, the track records of Russian airlines as a whole is fairly abysmal. It does make you wonder at the quality of the ground crews and maintenance crews employed within these, shall we say, less financially endowed nations.

And don’t forget the weather. Plus US airlines are subsidized by the Feds any number of ways. And I feel sure the US has the best air crash investigations.

At a model plane site I got this

A310 - old 737
A319 - with fan jets?
Both models looked like a 737 to me.
A320 - larger? 757?
A321 - a 757 or 767 equivalent?
A330 - definitely a large plane 777?
A340 - 4 engines, like a 747 maybe

[edit on 7/9/2006 by donwhite]

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 06:08 PM
link   
LOL thats hilarious....Seriously, why should the u.s. care about who dies in russia? Why should anyone care who dies, if they have no relations, nor friendships.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join