It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you believe that God is Pulling your Strings?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Believers feel so. Non-believers say no.

The only free will that exists is God's free will. Humans have no free will.

Do you think God would lose command of His Infinite Universes?

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 09:20 PM
link   
humm... Imagine if we had no control of anything in our lives.

A: God has 100% knowledge of the outcome, but he does allow us some choice. If that were not so how would he recieve any pleasure by us accepting him and sepending eternity with him forever. (by us excepting Christ i mean that God first chose to give us the gift first, nothing in me to choose God)

total control (atheistic/agnostic)

B: IF we had 100% control of our own lives, which we dont. Obvisiouly becuase were not immortal and we cannot prevent our own deaths/certain circumstances about our life. For instance who we were born to etc. Then we would be God

[edit on 8-7-2006 by Scyman]

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 11:18 PM
link   

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.
Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.
What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?
He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?
Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect?
It is God that justifieth.
(Romans 8:28-33)

I'd say that both are true--some are directed and some are not--none are puppets on strings, though, not at all.

The important thing for all of us is to be TRUE to that which we know applies to us, and us alone. So many try to validate their religion by spending all their energy toward making proselytes.

Why not just spread the word that was given--because that word, just the speaking of it--that is where the true power lies. No need to go door to door or to even covertly advertise their self-decreed evangelism 'job' in their signature on an internet forum!

Because if you speak truth--they will come. And the power of God is what will become manifest--not the power of a certain religion.

If everyone were a 'priest' or a 'king'--who would they minister to? what citizenry would the King serve? There must be a few chiefs and there must be many indians. The chiefs wash the indian's feet, remember?

And in the end--only God is the Chief!!!

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by queenannie38

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.
Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.
What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?
He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?
Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect?
It is God that justifieth.
(Romans 8:28-33)

This just dawned on me. The above quotes that those who he (God) did foreknow, he predestined to conform to the image of Jesus and called. It seems that those who are not called have no predestiny to become like his son. Maybe the whole debate about destiny and free-will comes down to this; that the only thing determined are who is called and who is not. Those who are called have a path already chosen and any course they take cannot be altered, because it is not them but God. Those who are not called take the course of free-will. Perhaps with more study, this solves the problem over destiny/free-will???

[edit on 8-7-2006 by ben91069]

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Which of the following three people are you?

First person: "I do not believe in God. God doesn't exist and there is no supernatural power. I believe in my own power. There is no Divinity about any of Creation. I do not pray. The Holy Bible is a book of nonsense." Categorization: atheist/agnostic.

Second Person: "I probably believe in God. God probably exists and there is some supernatural power. I believe partly in my power and partly of God's power. There is some Divinity in Creation. I sometimes pray. The Holy Bible has some good verses." Categorization: partial Believer.

Third Person: "I very definitely believe in God. God exists and He is completely supernatural in power. I only believe in God's Almighty Power. There is Divinity in all of Creation. I always pray. The Holy Bible is the Word of the Infinitely Great God." Categorization: Believer.

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Let me add to my reply that the first person completely believes in free will, the second person partly does, and the third person does not.

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I have to add a 4th in order to answer:

I was born believing in God--there's never been any choice and question for me--I can't
do anything to make myself not believe.

I don't feel I ever had a choice--at the same time I never worried about free will--I still make my own decisions aside from the conviction that God IS. It doesn't bother me to think I might not have free will--nor do I wish that I did. I just AM.

Ya' know?

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by ben91069
This just dawned on me. The above quotes that those who he (God) did foreknow, he predestined to conform to the image of Jesus and called. It seems that those who are not called have no predestiny to become like his son.

You got it.

Maybe the whole debate about destiny and free-will comes down to this; that the only thing determined are who is called and who is not. Those who are called have a path already chosen and any course they take cannot be altered, because it is not them but God.

I think that is largely true--however then there is the statement of 'Many are called, but few are chosen.' I think that the calling is sure--the choice of which direction that goes is probably where the true heart of pre-destination comes into the picture.

Those who are not called take the course of free-will. Perhaps with more study, this solves the problem over destiny/free-will???

Well, in a way--and I think this is something that many have come to understand, but didn't want to acknowledge--it seems that many think that the idea of being 'elect' is the choice of the man--but it is an election, which is a nomination by God--none of us can elect ourselves. And we can't change it for ourselves or anyone else.

But, that isn't doom, as so many would probably think, for those not 'elected.' In fact, those elected have a harder course, more pitfalls, no rest for the duration--they are made examples and are those who are 'crushed' and 'bruised' and 'chastened.'

Only sons are 'chastened.' But all the family will benefit--both the natural sons and the ones that are adopted because of the 'sins' of the sons. For the sons are saved--it is for their sake the world even exists. But in the end. all families in the world will be blessed by the curse earned by the sons in the beginning.

A lot of people make it harder on themselves, thinking there is more due from them than actually is--christianity has fooled many into thinking something altogether different than what the scriptures say. And so false teachings and delusions abound.

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by queenannie38
I have to add a 4th in order to answer:

I was born believing in God--there's never been any choice and question for me--I can't
do anything to make myself not believe.

I don't feel I ever had a choice--at the same time I never worried about free will--I still make my own decisions aside from the conviction that God IS. It doesn't bother me to think I might not have free will--nor do I wish that I did. I just AM.

Ya' know?

I admire the Strength of your Faith, queenannie38. I, too, belive that I was born believing in God, although I would say it was relatively undeveloped at that age.

After 6 years of rebellion, the last 11 years of my life have been fixated on the Infinitely Great God.

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Well, I am a believer in Absolutes. I also believe that the ONLY absolute thing in this world is the Word of GOD. Without it we know nothing, if anything contradicts it then it is either untrue, or enough is not yet known. The only thing that is 100% concrete in this torn up, sin filled world is the God and his infallable Word.

As far as free-will, I am calvinistic in thought. I am what is called a "five poinst calvanist" a.k.a Presbyterian. I believe that the bible has already been fulfilled that the 2nd coming was in 70 a.d. and that we are predestined to be his children. That however doesnt mean we are atomatons or else we would not be responsible for our own actions. I also believe in the HOLY TRINITY (since that has been a topic as of late, especially between me and Queenannie38
)

[edit on 9-7-2006 by Scyman]

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I don't follow any religion or believe in a God. I like the idea of God, but I can't believe. I really struggle to understand how people can believe in something so strongly that there is no evidence for. But that is their choice and I wouldn't dream of trying to persuade someone otherwise.

I don't feel God is pulling anyone's strings, let alone mine. Why would a God be so cruel? I mean, evil people seem to be rewarded and nice people punished.

If there is a God that is 'pulling my strings' then he's the little voice in my head called a conscience.

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by CarlosG
I don't follow any religion or believe in a God. I like the idea of God, but I can't believe. I really struggle to understand how people can believe in something so strongly that there is no evidence for. But that is their choice and I wouldn't dream of trying to persuade someone otherwise.

I won't try to convert you, that isn't my job. However, if I can give you some insight into why people believe in something with no evidence then maybe you can at least understand this part of it. Some people use nature to know that God exists and some people use God's words to believe, but both contradict logic at times, so these people usually only think and listen to parts of what they want to believe. The true word of God, by nature is hidden, and can only be reveiled to a person by him. Faith is believing in what is unseen and is contrary to using logic of what we know to come to a conclusion about the nature of something. Not for the people who do not weigh their ideas and discover flaws in their beliefs, but those who know the hidden truth believe because it has been revealed to them, at least in part. It is hidden to the rest of us, but the conviction present in the person is true enough to them to "believe". It isn't much different than a child knowing the sky is blue, even though they don't have evidence of the mechanism behind why it is blue. It is apparent to them, because it is obvious and it has been revealed to them through their eyes. Spiritual things are revealed likewise, but with a different set of eyes, and just as a blind man cannot fathom the sky being blue, someone like you find it hard to understand why people believe in something that you cannot see. I hope you can understand this and not confuse it with people who only believe in things superficially, because that is what they were always taught.

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by scyman
I also believe in the HOLY TRINITY

I believe in the Holy Trinity (Three in One, One in Three) also. The Holy Trinity works miracles in my life each day. I hope and pray that others recognize that the Holy Trinity works miracles in their lives each day too.

Originally posted by CarlosG

I don't feel God is pulling anyone's strings, let alone mine. Why would a God be so cruel? I mean, evil people seem to be rewarded and nice people punished.

If there is a God that is 'pulling my strings' then he's the little voice in my head called a conscience.

All prayers for you CarlosG. One day you will recognize that Life is Eternal. May God (the Holy Trinity) be with you.

new topics

top topics

join