It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan Asks U.N. for Sanctions Against N. Korea

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Japan has proposed a resolution for U.N. sanctions against North Korea. The resolution would ban any countries from delivering new technology for missles and WMD to N. Korea. N. Korea said they would use "countermeasures" if sanctions were imposed.

]a.abcnews.com...

Japan, backed by the U.S. and Britain, circulated a resolution Wednesday that would ban any country from transferring funds, material and technology that could be used in North Korea's missile and weapons of mass destruction programs.

"We will be forced to take all-out countermeasures if sanctions are exercised," Han Song Ryol, deputy chief of North Korea's U.N. mission, said Wednesday, according to Japanese broadcaster TBS.

North Korea has said in the past they would view any sanctions against them as an act of war. If the resolution passes, I don't think they are going to declare war on all the countries that voted in favor of the resolution.

China and Russia will probably prevent the resolution from passing, but I wonder if one of those missles was aimed at China and landed 600 KM off China's coast, if they would be responding to this resolution the same way? I doubt it.

[edit on 8-7-2006 by Keyhole]

[edit on 8-7-2006 by Keyhole

[edit on 8-7-2006 by Keyhole]

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Norrh Korea is a rubbish , and Japan is an evil

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by gejia021

Norrh Korea is a rubbish , and Japan is an evil

Please do not circumvent the censors.

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 9-7-2006 by mrwupy]

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 02:44 PM
link   
The U.S. believes it now has enough votes to pass the U.N. Security Council Resolution drawn up by Japan.

news.yahoo.com...

"We think we've got the votes to pass that," Undersecretary of State Nicholas Burns said on NBC's "Meet the Press" television program.

Security Council members Russia and China have veto power and have opposed the resolution drafted by Japan. They could abstain and allow the resolution to pass, but China has said the lack of unanimity would send a weak signal.

North Korea threatens retaliation against Japan if the resolution isn't withdrawn.

Link

Japan, a possible target of North Korean missiles, is sponsoring a Security Council resolution calling for sanctions against Pyongyang, which China and Russia oppose. It unilaterally imposed limited sanctions this week, including banning a North Korean ferry from Japanese ports.

The North has said it would consider sanctions a declaration of war, and a North Korean envoy responded Friday by threatening retaliation against Japan if the measures aren't lifted

So, even though its the U.N. Security Council that votes for the Resolution and sanctions, North Korea is threatening to retaliate against Japan if they don't withdraw the resolution.

Does N.K. actually think the U.N. (and/or the security council) would just sit back and watch that. That, I believe would really unite the Security Council against N.K.
If N.K. attacks Japan, you could probably garuantee the U.S. will send help to Japan.

Mod Edit: Truncated Link Of Great Length.

[edit on 9/7/2006 by Mirthful Me]

MMP

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Keyhole
you could probably garuantee the U.S. will send help to Japan.

If by help you mean aid in air strikes against NK then yes we will. I'm not 100% sure of this so some one can correct me if I'm wrong, but a direct attack on the US or one of our allies gives the President enough justification to commit our military for a period of 30 days without permission from Congress. After that Congress must give or decline the authority to declare war. I am not sure how things have changed since 9/11 and things like the Homeland Security Act and the Patriot Act but it used to work something like that.

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 04:24 PM
link   
What would China's reaction be? Would they sit there and watch if N.K. made the first act of war against Japan and we came to Japans aide? Or would they try to tell US to let them work (fight, whatever) this out themselves.

I would think if NK made the first aggressive move, China would sit quietely on the sidelines.

[edit on 9-7-2006 by Keyhole]

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Keyhole
What would China's reaction be? Would they sit there and watch if N.K. made the first act of war against Japan and we came to Japans aide? Or would they try to tell US to let them work (fight, whatever) this out themselves.

I would think if NK made the first aggressive move, China would sit quietely on the sidelines.

[edit on 9-7-2006 by Keyhole]

North Korea is never going to attack Japan, ever.

top topics

join