It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

States begin to stockpile Tamiflu

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 06:41 PM
link   
While Federal preparations are ongoing to stockpile enough Tamiflu for 44 million Americans, states like South Carolina,Utah, and Alabama are not waiting for the August 1st deadline for federal assistance in buying more of the drug. Other states such as Montana plan to do with much less. With a population of under a million, Montana is purchasing an extra 8100 doses. it could have purchased 96000 under the federal program. many states are simply forgoing added insurance. No doubt the 8100 doses would be earmarked for high risk and healthcare personel.

States line up for anti-flu medication

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 07:50 PM
link   
This is a major "what do they know that we don't" in my book.

Have you ever heard of a case of anything where the States start spending money prior to a Federally funded opportunity to purchase anything? Something is really wrong with this picture. The only thing that jumps out at me at the moment is that regardless of the upcoming funding program, some people don't expect there to be enough to go around if they don't get it ahead of time?

Of course if that's the problem, the States buying it up early have got to compound that.

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I really hope this is not why we are stocking up on Tamiflu.

State Health Officials Investigate Smuggled Meat
Local Authorities Claim They Were Not Immediately Informed

POSTED: 7:05 pm EDT July 12, 2006

TROY, Mich. -- Local health officials said they were not immediately informed of a raid on a Troy warehouse for meat smuggled from areas in China affected by bird flu, Local 4 reported.

Rest of the story is here; www.clickondetroit.com...

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 05:35 AM
link   
I thought the US was exporters of meat. Don't we have enough here not to import at all? How could this happen? Sems to me we have a lot of holes in the protection system on imports in general if this meat made it all the way to Michigan.

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I think a lot of country's import as well as export meats & poultry. I believe we have even banned meats from country's that have had mad cow disease. It maybe cheaper to import from overseas?

I know we import fruits and veggies from all over the world. Unfortunately it is getting harder for the smaller farms and dairys to stay in business. Perhaps it is the same for ranchers and poultry farms?

Something other things that are troubling to me: why was the poultry never tested before burning it? And why were the state officials not informed about the raid for several weeks ? I wonder if people just aren't taking the bird flu seriously enough, or is this just more bureaucracy? In any case, I agree we do have alot of holes in the protection system.

Sorry if i strayed to far off the subject.

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 01:44 PM
link   
You guys do know who has a vested interest in Tamiflu dont you?

Donald Rumsfeld - used to on the board of Gilead Sciences(makers of tamiflu), and still has a large portion of stocks invested in the company.

Also hasnt it already been proven that Tamiflu does NOT kill the bird flu. I see this as a big waste of money.

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by TONE23
You guys do know who has a vested interest in Tamiflu dont you?

Donald Rumsfeld - used to on the board of Gilead Sciences(makers of tamiflu), and still has a large portion of stocks invested in the company.

Also hasnt it already been proven that Tamiflu does NOT kill the bird flu. I see this as a big waste of money.

Just what I was going to report on.. We are stockpiling a uselss cure. It seems more of a money making scam/ putting the general public at ease.

After treating 41 victims of H5N1, the deadly form of the bird flu virus, a Vietnamese doctor has concluded Tamiflu, the drug most widely stockpiled around the world to combat a feared pandemic, is "useless."

Dr. Nguyen Tuong Van, who runs the intensive care unit of the Center for Tropical Diseases in Hanoi, followed World Health Organization guidelines in her treatment of patients but concluded it had no effect on the disease.

"We place no importance on using this drug on our patients," she said. "Tamiflu is really only meant for treating ordinary type A flu. It was not designed to combat H5N1 ... [Tamiflu] is useless."

Link: www.worldnetdaily.com...

[Note: WOuld also like to state Donald Rumslfeld has already made a predicted 5 million dollars from trade deals so far- it has probably risen considerably since.]

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Thanks knights, for the confirmation. I knew I wasnt going crazy.

I knew this was bogus.... Just another scheme by Ronald Dumsfeld and Company.

I am not saying that the Bird Flu is bogus...just the treatment.

new topics

top topics

join