It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Greenbriar Bunker in West Virginia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 05:55 PM
link   
This was revealed in 1992 and broadcast in 1995 on Dateline. I'm originally from West Virginia and was shocked to discover this under my very nose. (These were my old stomping grounds.)

Anyway, here are some pictures of the facility your representatives were going to hide in if we were attacked.

All Pictures Courtesy of the Greenbriar Tourism Society.

This is an aerial view of the entire facility. A beautiful, peaceful setting where you can be served your dinner on solid gold plates if you desire.
The cabins are fairly inexpensive at 200 to 1000 a night.
The indoor accommodations run from 300 to 600 per night. No Pets HAHAHA

This is the outdoor "secret" entrance. It is marked "Danger High Voltage." The door you see is the outside blast door designed to withstand everything except a direct hit.

Here is a close up of the main bunker door.

Here you see the Congressional Meeting Room where our Government would supposedly continue to operate after the attack.

Posters like this one are all over the hallway walls.

Here is the "Secret" entrance disguised in the wall of one of the Greenbriar's meeting halls.

Finally : The Government kept this a secret for over 40 years. Al the while the Greenbriar continued to operate as one of the most exclusive premier hotel and meeting locations in the world. I remember seeing the "electric" door in the 70's while wandering around the town looking for mischief to get into.

I hunted that area extensively when i was hunting and have asked myself a hundred times, if I saw any of the antennae or airway structures.

If the Government kept that a secret for that long, what else have they kept from us and on what scale?

Semper

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 06:03 PM
link   
here are a few more Interesting Pictures.

I had to have walked by and around this many times. Funny what you can "not see" when you don't look.

Here is the "State of the Art" communications system. Notice the phone?

Two shots to show how very big this place is. IT IS HUGE!!!

Enjoy

Semper

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 06:10 PM
link   
If not discovered it would have no doubt still been secret.

I wonder if thier "evacuation" scenario would have worked at anyrate.

Good post

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 07:15 PM
link   
the Greenbrair has always interested me. Can't you go on a tour of it? I think that could be a fun trip.

Since that place is no longer a secret it makes me wonder what's inside Mt Weather

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Yes, they have tours almost everyday.

If you go, go in the winter and go to Snowshoe Resort. The SKIING is Fantastic!!!!

There are a number of things you can buy in the gift shop as well that gets into the history of the bunker.

Semper

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Back when I was doing research for my book, I was looking into Federal installations and other hidden complexes. In 1987, while being a Senate intern, I had an encounter with a memo that outlined capabilities and locations for FEMA bunkers that were either being activated, or de-commissioned. This encounter was strictly look-but-don't touch or photocopy. Even so, it stuck with me.

You can take this one with a grain of salt, if you like. I met with a retired gentlemen who was interested in what I was writing about. He informed me that Greenbriar was deliberately revealed. Seems that the reporter who broke the story was steered in the right direction. So said my source, there are/were seven other facilities on that scale in the the United States.

Once you've seen what I wrote, you'll understand why it's labelled Fiction. Those who care to dig whill know that therm Secured Site is Uncle Sam's preferred term for certain installations. In some libraries, you can still find out-dated FEMA manuals that actually had some locations listed. As you may have already seen on ATS, the continuity of government project is still alive and well.

Recently, I had a one time confab with a man who claimed to have knowledge of a large-scale bunker in a location that is of interest to me. I declined to meet with him further because his credentials were in doubt. A lot of this is new to me, and the last thing I want is to be played for a sucker.

Federal planners appear to be re-examining the possibility of civil disruption here in the United States. emphasis appears to be on the aftermath of large-scale terror attacks. It's no accident that some of the wargaming looks like it may be geared toward anti-insurgency policy planning. Do your own homework, and draw your own conclusions.

These big bunkers are with us to stay.

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 08:46 PM
link   
No doubt!!
And I am sure that after 50 years or so, they are bigger and better.

Semper

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 08:54 PM
link   
My undertanding is that most of the government bunkers fall in to categories. a) Storage, b) transition, c) network, and d) residence.

Most of the depot bunkers are empty. Evidently, long-term storage is no longer cost-effective. Fuel stores seem to be the exception. Transition bunkers are apparently used as evacuation points in time of crisis, and are intended to be rally points for the military once things have gone to pieces. Network facilities appear to be your classic command posts. These seem to be regional. Residential bunkers are the ratholes for the chosen few, in the event that such becomes necessary. All of these are seperate from the usual military stuff.

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Okay, then. I guess we're done. Nobody disputes the fact that these installations exist. Nobody has any doubts about what they may be used for. the next thing to consider is, "what does this mean to you, and what will you do about it?"

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I don't really have a problem with them having bunkers.

I have owned some acres in West Virginia, my old homestead, for a number of years and slowly fixing it up as a retreat/campsite. I like to think of it as my personal bunker.

Semper

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I live in west virginia and I've heard that several times in school. this is the first time I've seen pictures of it and i'm as amazed as the first time i heard it.
I think it would have been a good place because West virginia would be the last place anyone would look in my opinnion

new topics

top topics

join