It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UNCF

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 05:36 PM
link   
What about the United (Insert all other races name) College Fund? Hummmm? What is concidered racest? I just heard an advertisment on the radio for the "United Negro College Fund". Are they special for some reason? WTF??? We are all Gods children. I belive all persons are created equal. So what's up with the UNCF???

Regards,

John

[edit on 7/8/2006 by atwood71360]
southernguywithcam AT h o t m a i l DOT c o m

[edit on 7/8/2006 by atwood71360]

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Q: Does UNCF only support African American education?

A: UNCF was founded to address the funding inequities regarding educational resources for African Americans. UNCF believes in higher education opportunities for all Americans, however. Though most funding supports African American students, UNCF member schools do not discriminate and UNCF administered scholarships are open to all ethnic groups.

Source

You can read more about the history and founding of the fund here:

The mind is a terrible thing...

(Just a joke)

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 09:21 PM
link   
UNCF... What about other folks? Hmmm..... Just wondering...

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Q: Does UNCF only support African American education?

A: UNCF was founded to address the funding inequities regarding educational resources for African Americans. UNCF believes in higher education opportunities for all Americans, however. Though most funding supports African American students, UNCF member schools do not discriminate and UNCF administered scholarships are open to all ethnic groups.

Source

You can read more about the history and founding of the fund here:

The mind is a terrible thing...

(Just a joke)

Being a middle class white boy I s'pose I wouldn't be getting a scholarship then huh? I think if I ever become rich I shall start the United College Fund for Peoples of Irish Decent. UCFPID!!! and we will be a NON discrimitive fund... so long as your Irish of course!
I do think UNCF and "Black" colleges is racist and should not be allowed, we single out races here in America and make everyone think how hard it must be to be a latino or some crap like that. I am not racist and maybe thats the point, instead of Identifying race as a disability that should get you a go to school for free pass, we should not ask for race idenification on applications, that way you can be admitted no matter your race but your qualification.

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Why aren't you mad about the "affirmative action" for the rich? Daddy or Mommy donates $10 million to build the new Medical school on campus. Junior gets in on his "financial merits", not his "grades". Heck. Junior could have even flunked out of his very ultra-exclusive private school in Europe. But the University Administration will still take Junior on his high "monetary scholastic record".

I think there is plenty of blame to spread around here. Not every one has a legacy they can use to get into college.

But I have a suggestion: Flip through a scholarship book sometime. There is funding for people who are of Swedish descent, for people who speak Japanese, amongst other qualifications that you have to specialize for. The people who put the money up for the scholarships have their own rules about how you are to earn their awards.

Some people win them. Others don't. That's true for every scholarship.

Blaming UNCF is just making another mountain out of a molehill. It is not the sole source of educational funding in this country to get a degree in higher education.

[edit on 20-7-2006 by ceci2006]

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by ceci2006
Why aren't you mad about the "affirmative action" for the rich? Daddy or Mommy donates $10 million to build the new Medical school on campus. Junior gets in on his "financial merits", not his "grades". Heck. Junior could have even flunked out of his very ultra-exclusive private school in Europe. But the University Administration will still take Junior on his high "monetary scholastic record".

I think there is plenty of blame to spread around here. Not every one has a legacy they can use to get into college.

But I have a suggestion: Flip through a scholarship book sometime. There is funding for people who are of Swedish descent, for people who speak Japanese, amongst other qualifications that you have to specialize for. The people who put the money up for the scholarships have their own rules about how you are to earn their awards.

Some people win them. Others don't. That's true for every scholarship.

Blaming UNCF is just making another mountain out of a molehill. It is not the sole source of educational funding in this country to get a degree in higher education.

Because we where not talking about the Super rich, or the slightly rich, or even upper middle class now where we? I feel the same way about the rich getting into Harvard and other ivy league schools. In fact, it is one of the things I hate most about Bush, the fact that he got into school because his daddy went there, he was a C student, most likely no one would give him a D or lower because of his daddy and grand daddy or who ever other fraternal bastards he derives from. People should not be able to ride on their parents or grand parents success, and the rich should take the same placement testing, receive the same grading scale and treatment and pay the same amount as anyone else, just as minorities and other "disabled" political groups that get benefits for simply being who they are.

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Yes, it is true that everyone ought to be treated the same. But in reality--especially in the workplace and in education--they are not. The rich are treated better because of how much money they can give. And there are still some companies that won't hire people of color because they think they are "lazy" and "not industrious". Or by your interpretation, "a disabled political group".

Education is the same way. There are professors (especially one at the UT Law school who made a comment a years ago that "minorities are 'lesser than' the 'average student') who still think that people of color do not deserve to be there--even when they have made the grades and passed all the classes. They are extremely tough on their students of color regardless of academic performance. That happens all the time. But white students, in the professor's view, deserve to be there while the "minority students" take up space. With that prejudice, do you think that is fair? Do you think the professor ought to stay in his or her job due to his/her racial animus against students of color because of the biased assumption they are part of a "disabled political group"?

While we're on the prejudices that some professors have against "disabled" political groups, let's put your theory out on the table:

What if, there were people of color who made better grades than you, got more awards than you and of course, had more qualifications than you who got accepted to college mainly on their merits. While there, they became part of Phi Beta Kappa and other honor societies and in the end graduated Magna Cum Laude in thier discipline. And they made it taking honors classes even though the professors were prejudiced enough to think that "minorities weren't as qualified as other deserving students". How would you feel then? That they shouldn't still deserve the funding they needed to stay in college?

If you made average grades and probably got more consideration from the professors and the administration because of you were white, would you still say things weren't fair and complain about "affirmative action", even though you got more help, more resources and of course more support in academia to get your degree? Do you still think that white students would deserve funding even though they didn't have a fraction of the qualifications that other deserving students have earned in their coursework?

Despite this help, would you still be running to the ombudsman's office crying out that "affirmative action" should be eliminated even though you didn't have these sterling qualifications to be a top student but got even more aid and support from the staff, faculty and adminstration to help you get through school as a white student opposed to a student of color?

Better yet, have you ever heard of institutional racism? Why do you think there is a disproportionate number of students of color on college campuses across the country?

top topics

join