It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Neutering the Navy to Save the Whales

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I care very much about life and I understand these people's motives. But how many of you (or them) have killed ants? Spiders? Flies? Cockroaches?

What gives you the right to step on a bug, then say "we shouldn't be potentially maybe harming these whales."

Keep in mind I love all wildlife. And I never intentionally kill any animal out of vanity or inconvenience. But if the use of sonar DOES indeed harm whales and the use of it in practice saves even one human life, then I am all for it. This is the animal kingdom after all, it's survival of the fitest. I'm sure if your brother or sister's life was in danger and the use of sonar could help them you wouldn't even blink. I sure as hell know that the whales don't sacrifice their kin to let krill live, intelligent or not.

EDIT: grammar

[edit on 10-7-2006 by Fiverz]

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by SIEGE
Have they come up
with anything to prevent war or preserve life ? It's not profitable!
Saving an eco-system would not be profitable.

Do you any idea how much military R&D and military inventions have contributed to the private sector? The list is way too long to post and the value too great to calculate.

[edit on 10-7-2006 by WestPoint23]

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 12:07 PM
link   
We don't even need a Navy, we have Nuclear Missles, which should satisfy the bloodthirsty needs of many of our board members who believe that other lifeforms are a waste of space. And since they are needing so much blood, why not petition georgy-boy to completly wipe the Iraqi's off the map, after all, he says he talks to God, so he should be able to use genocide as a weapon against terrorism.

Main Entry: geno·cide
Pronunciation: 'je-n&-"sId
Function: noun
: the deliberate and systematic destruction of a species, racial, political, or cultural group
- geno·cid·al /"je-n&-'sI-d&l/ adjective

Kill Them All, Let God Sort It Out?

Kill all New Yorkers, as they are nothing but rude, crude and socially unattractive?

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2stepsfromtop
Main Entry: geno·cide
Pronunciation: 'je-n&-"sId
Function: noun
: the deliberate and systematic destruction of a species, racial, political, or cultural group
- geno·cid·al /"je-n&-'sI-d&l/ adjective

Oh come on, can we say "sensationalism"? Unless the Navy decides to build enough warships to use sonar in ever inch of the ocean that whales live AND it is proven that every whale that comes into contact with sonar dies this is nowhere near that definition.

I love animals but come on let's use a little common sense here.

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 12:16 PM
link   
You guys are right. Call the government! Disband the military, we don't need them! Everyone loves us and wants to live in peace with us, so there's no need to kill a few whales to find weapons that work anymore.

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 02:23 PM
link   
To:Westpoint23- And how much money did they have to work with? If the
"Eco-terrorists" had 1/10 of their money, they'd be somebody to reckon with.
And, in reverse, how many good things have they taken and adapted for war?

To: Fiverz and Zapkod58 - Sensationalism? . . . . . . .Baah!

" . . .so there's no need to kill a few whales to find weapons that work anymore?"

How many weapons is it going to take? Never have enough will we?

If we "give up" something to get a new war weapon, how much do we give up?
Let's see, if we give up our eco-system, we can get a new weapon.
( Better to kill you with )
Then, if we give up our neighbors, we can get another weapon.
Then, if we give up our freedoms, we can get another weapon.
( More killing )
Then, if we give up an arm or a leg. we can have a better weapon to kill.

Somewhere down the road, we win the war. But what has the win cost us?
Our environment!
Our neighbors!
Our freedom and liberty!
Our bodies!

And our original goal was just to make a better weapon? Is it worth it?

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 02:44 PM
link   

To:Westpoint23- And how much money did they have to work with?

The US Military has only a fraction of the money that’s available to the private sector for R&D.

...in reverse, how many good things have they taken and adapted for war?

Everything can be used for good and bad, depending on what your view of good and bad are. I’m just saying that the military has contributed to making life easier for ordinary folk, not all of it has been good of course but it’s a military there’s only so much you can ask for. So in closing I would like to say that the military does kill everything because it can, it tries to find a balance. Some people should consider than before claiming genocide.

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by dawa
Well my honest blunt opinion is that you and all other humans dont have souls either, the thing thats supposed to make us "different" from 'animals' (we are animals too) is that we are supposed to care about life, not just shrugg it off and use some sort of crazy religious ideal to help us sleep at night

I didnt say I didnt care about life, I just said one less whale isnt the end of the world as some of you make it out to be(what I meant in a nutshell). I have a soul, maybe you dont, but I do. J/K. But animals dont have souls(my interpretation from biblical readings, seeing as animals dont have a spot in heaven according to the bible. And this does sadden me, because I miss my old beagle). But thats the way it is, my thoughts on death and dying can be summed up in 2 words; # happens. Theres really no other way to describe it, its the way things work. Same way with humans and those others lower on the food chain.

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 04:47 PM
link   
To: Westpoint23

Sometimes you have to think like the private sector. With their R&D money,
they've invented something that can be used to make the world a better place
to live in. This same invention, with a few modifications, can also be used as
a war weapon. Now it's money time! Who has the deepest pockets and can pay
immediately? The government! And it's usually the military's long arm that
knocks on the door with check in hand. ( Something else given up )

Although I respect the military and understand the need for it, your quote here
bothers me greatly. " . . .the military does kill everything because it can . ."

I long for a time when maybe after re-phrasing it'll read :
" . .the military doesn't kill everything just because it can . . ."

Peace to you.

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 05:09 PM
link   
This is ridiculous, just another example of how American Justices have WAY to much power. Who needs a constitution when you have seven men on a bench??
Im glad the whales wont start to mate with the subs good thing we cleared that up. What was the cost, oh not much just a little poorer defense around Hawaii

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 07:06 PM
link   

How many weapons is it going to take? Never have enough will we?

If we "give up" something to get a new war weapon, how much do we give up?
Let's see, if we give up our eco-system, we can get a new weapon.
Then, if we give up our neighbors, we can get another weapon.
Then, if we give up our freedoms, we can get another weapon.
( More killing )
Then, if we give up an arm or a leg. we can have a better weapon to kill.

Somewhere down the road, we win the war. But what has the win cost us?
Our environment!
Our neighbors!
Our freedom and liberty!
Our bodies!

And our original goal was just to make a better weapon? Is it worth it?

Other than an extremely infintesimal part of the environment, this post has nothing to do with the thread topic (although I do agree with your principles). I just think using sonar that MIGHT affect A SMALL PERCENTAGE OF THE WORLD'S whale population doesn't rank up there with the other serious items you listed.

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Just to add, I didn't mean to say "kill everything" in my above post, small error on my part, but people understand what I was getting at.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join