It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

about moderators

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 05:14 AM
link   
just a quick question, how do the moderator get chosen on this site, just curious really as i havent come across any info yet about it

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Either you give the 3 Amigos money and beer, or you submit good quality posts for a satisfactory amount of time, and show how much you enjoy using the discussion board and how much you are prepared to look after it and help the members.

Most mods have been round here for a few years, so the admin has got to know them and know how trustworthy they are, and how they are going to look after the board when they are given this status. It's not like they pick randoms. Well, except for perhaps sanc.

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by watch_the_rocks
It's not like they pick randoms. Well, except for perhaps sanc.

I heard that

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Yup

you are invited to be a mod,

and most who are asked are realy shocked as its something they have not thought about, you just love ATS and do what you can to help it do well,

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 07:39 AM
link   
OK, same line of thinking.

Why are some threads moderated by a few "Mods" and others have "tons."

And no drama attached to this, I'm just curious and curious minds want to know.

"Knowing is half the battle." G.I. Joe

Semper

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Its due to some forums being alot more Active, Ie WOT thats a buzzing place and can get pretty heated,

where as in Fragile earth it tends to be a bit more "Calm" not many want to fight over whats the weathers doing lol so its more about info,

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Thank you asala

Nice avatar too by the way.

Semper

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 08:47 AM
link   
*scratches ronishia's name off list*

Rule 1: Never ask how to become a mod or how mods are chosen.

Well that's one less person in the running.

[edit on 7/8/2006 by Zaphod58]

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Kissing butt and towing a party line might also get you selected.

Flattery is everything!

Oh yeah, and I've heard, as others have said, that asking about such negates the possibility.

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 08:54 AM
link   
How To Become A Mod On ATS

Rule #1: Never ask to be a mod.

Rule #2: No really, never ask to be a mod.

Other than the rules, I've noticed certain things my fellow mods have in common:

1. They love ATS.

2. No really, they love ATS.

3. They respect their fellow members, and are patient and courteous even when things get touchy.

4. They spend way too much time on ATS -- and love it.

5. They tend to be some of the best contributors of quality posts, and really pour their hearts into their work.

6. They take the powers given to them as moderators as a serious responsibility and commitment of trust, not as an opportunity for abuse.

7. They are scrupulous and honest.

8. They are human, and therefore imperfect, but are willing to admit to and learn from their mistakes.

9. They are easy to get along with, work well as a team and tend to have a very refined sense of humor.

Everything I've learned about moderating on ATS I've learned from other moderators.

The staff contains a huge percentage of the members I admire most. Not because they're staff members, but because they're just really awesome members. And a goodly percentage of the rest are former staff members.

Some members "do their duty" as staff, then go back to just being members for various reasons (burnout, busy RL, just want to enjoy ATS, etc.). The spirit of Cincinnatus is very common in the ATS staff.

So my advice for those who want to be mods is to be the kind of member you would want a moderator to be.

From there, anything is possible.

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Ok please forgive my ignorance but what exactly does a moderator do?

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 09:10 AM
link   
They moderate of course.

Moderators, and Super Moderators have more powers than regular members. If there is an offensive post (sexual, profanity, against the T&C) they can go in and edit it and remove that content. No matter what member posts it. They can also pass out warnings to members that keep breaking the T&C.

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Speak Softly

Originally posted by Neew World Leader
Ok please forgive my ignorance but what exactly does a moderator do?

I'm still trying to figure that out.

Zaphod covered it nicely, although it's worth pointing out that most of what I do as a mod is just talk to people through posts and U2Us (lots of U2Us!).

Just as a good cop doesn't shoot people for jaywalking, the ATS moderating style tends to favor diplomacy over warfare (i.e. pushing buttons or "skittles" as we call them, because SO made them all kinds of pretty colors).

So mostly what we do is what any good member should do: try to set a good example and encourage other members to do the same.

And if that doesn't work, then POW!

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Thanks Zaphod58 thats been bugging me for a while but i just never knew where to ask it

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Thank you too majic (don't want you to feel ignored)

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Another thing (this is a bit off topic) but is anybody elses ATS logo in the top left of the page upside down. Only noticed it now

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Yeah, it's upside down for a reason.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
*scratches ronishia's name off list*

Rule 1: Never ask how to become a mod or how mods are chosen.

Well that's one less person in the running.

[edit on 7/8/2006 by Zaphod58]

lmao just aswell i never asked to be a mod then

thanks guys for the answers

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Hey guys, just wondering if I could become a mod...

No, seriously, on another matter I was asked about becoming a scholar, what work do scholars actually do?

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 12:31 PM
link   
There was a thread about this before, let's see if I remember this right. I THINK this is right, but I'm sure that if I'm wrong someone will correct me.

Fighter- participates in debates
Writer- participates in the Creative Writing forum
Scholar- participates in research projects

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join