It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Super-Hacker Gary McKinnon Will Be Extradited To United States

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 12:14 PM
link   
RUN Gary RUN

This is terrible,all he did was get in though the old administrator and no pasword route...for heavens sake hasn`t the mil.ind.complex heard of passwords?

He was looking for evidence of UFOs,not trying to meltdown your nuclear reactors.Give the guy a Hefty fine and a year in in British prison.

The damage he supposedly caused involved a handfull of spooks and soliders getting busted by their superiors for not having a password. BIG deal.

Unless of course we at ATS have been right all along and the aliens are in a conspiracy with the Army/gov.
Now if that were true,it would not surprise me if he gets 60 plus years...
Think about it.

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Ach, he's getting fitted up because none of the military thought about closing off the loopholes in their computer. McKinnon is the scapegoat for incompetant computer engineers.

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Hey Dodge neons used to be the most easily broken into car in america, does that make the thieves who stole them any less guilty because the company wasnt securing well enough?

This guy is a criminal, hackers are assholes, bing bang boom.

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Hackers are overrated. And Gary McKinnon is no "super-hacker". I doubt hackers are responsible for anything they are supposed to have done. It's all baloney.

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 03:59 PM
link   
If it's all bologne Mac, then why is he facing life in prison once extraditied to the US? Both the fact that he is being extradited to the US from the UK and the fact that he faces life in prison should tell you about the extent of his crimes.

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 04:35 PM
link   
See my above reasons,Low Orbit.

Non Terrestrial Officers,indeed.If this was proved to be true,it would blow the whole secret US space program out of the secret cupboard once and for all.

No wonder they want him locked up.

It sort of proves he was on to something.

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Low Orbit
If it's all bologne Mac, then why is he facing life in prison once extraditied to the US? Both the fact that he is being extradited to the US from the UK and the fact that he faces life in prison should tell you about the extent of his crimes.

Can you say SCAPEGOAT?! This guy broke into your military system using a battered Windows 98 computer. That shows up just how bad the military was at protecting their computers from wee geeks. It's embarresing isn't it? To think that the most powerful military in the world got beaten by a wee stoner computer geek with a crappy computer. Bet that makes you swell with pride, doesn't it?

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Curious though, how did they catch him if our system was so vulnerable anyone with malintent could have been spying. Russians, Chinese, Israelis and Europeans could have been in our system, but did not get caught eh?

I do not believe it was as easy as just walking up to a door and turning a knob to find out it is unlocked.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Dyepes,Gary stated in his interview that everytime he hacked into the pentagon there were a multitude of others hacking the same system...they would exchange ideas and chat to each other.He mentioned China amongst others.
Notice none of the others have been busted.They are probably still doing it today...who knows why. Stealing secrets? Looking for UFOs?Or just being geeks.
The fact that the USA authorities use the public internet for their networks is stupid.They invented the net didn`t they?Why not have a seperate net for all the secret stuff and make it all encrypted?
Seems sensible to me.

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse
The fact that the USA authorities use the public internet for their networks is stupid.They invented the net didn`t they?Why not have a seperate net for all the secret stuff and make it all encrypted?
Seems sensible to me.

And guess whos supplying the computer defence systems of the US goverment.. the NSA

And ill note that with logging into a computer from a distance you are doing no harm to its system unless you go and delete stuff. And like he said he only logged into them. So it looks like they just want to shut him up..

BBC interview with Gary

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Here is an update on this case. I knew there would be other threads dedicated to this ongoing story and I didnt want to make a new thread.

Gary McKinnon, the UK citizen accused of breaking into and damaging Nasa's computers began his appeal against extradition to the US on Tuesday.

Edmund Lawson, QC, who is defending McKinnon, told a hearing at London's High Court that McKinnon faced up to 60 years' imprisonment if he was convicted in America, where he could be tried under its anti-terrorism legislation.

Lawson also revealed that McKinnon had been offered a deal by US authorities, under which he would receive a shorter sentence if he stopped fighting extradition. This offer had been rejected, and constituted an "improper approach" to McKinnon, Lawson claimed.

McKinnon is accused of illegally hacking into 97 US government computers in 2001 and 2002, causing $700,000 worth of damage. In an interview with ZDNet UK, McKinnon admitted accessing the computers as part of his search for evidence of extraterrestrial life, but denied deliberately doing any damage.

Back in May 2006, a British judge ruled that McKinnon should be extradited to the US to face these charges.

The appeal is continuing on Wednesday, and may run into Thursday. If he loses, McKinnon is expected to try and appeal to the European Court of Human Rights.

sorry, heres the source page for this story
Source page

[edit on 14-2-2007 by Kr0n0s]

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 05:42 PM
link   
From one of his interviews

www.guardian.co.uk...

Well, once, he admits, but only once, he inadvertently pressed the wrong button and may have deleted some government files.

It is a bit overblown, punishmentwise, but if it is to shut him up, why is he still free? If what he says now isn't doing any harm, why the need to lock him up forever? I think it is the "make him an example".

With the NSA monitoring the world, why is he the only computer crime person being punished in recent times. How about getting some more of these wire fraud types also.

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Google Search: "hacker sentenced"
Google Search: "virus writer sentenced"
Google Search: "spammer sentenced"

Still think there are no computer criminals being made to take responsibility for their actions?

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

Who are you to determine the dollar damage of the damage done and what it cost to repair it?

anybody remember the 1000 dollar hammer? Maybe we should get an independent party to estimate the damage.

Yeah, that was me. We have all the freedoms you wish for. Europe is stale, you have no "freedom".

We do, for now... But I agree europe is worse, except amsterdam (sp?) lol

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 12:33 AM
link   
I am telling you, the US is trying to get him here because they want him working for UNICORalong NSA analysts so they can use his services secretly while in Federal detention to probably hack other governments' network systems for espionage, he just won't know it until he is in custody, otherwise he will tell the world.

The story of him easily being able to do this is a farce, in order to cover-up his true skills.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Helig
Still think there are no computer criminals being made to take responsibility for their actions?

OK, you are correct. Some are now paying. 6 month to 1 years terms mostly. The Lowe's guy gets the big one, 9 1/2 years. It helps a bit.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Don't know if this has been said already or not but I hope he gets life in prison without parole. I can't stand hackers.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by uberarcanist
Don't know if this has been said already or not but I hope he gets life in prison without parole. I can't stand hackers.

I think we can safely say that no one else has said that they wish anyone to be imprisoned for life for hacking computers. It's not one of those types of crimes. I'm actually surprised that you feel that strongly about it.

posted on Nov, 6 2007 @ 01:24 PM
link   
A couple of updates on the "hacker" -- first his potential sentence:

www.theregister.co.uk...

A statement from Kaim Todner, McKinnon's lawyers, said: "McKinnon submits that these threats amount to an abuse of the extradition process, and he is delighted that the House of Lords have granted his request to put his case before them."

McKinnon's lawyer said he was very pleased by the decision.

No date has been set for the hearing but it is likely to be within the next six to 18 months.

I was browsing the Mars Records site and came across this page:

Gary McKinnon, the English hacker facing 70 years in U.S. prison for searching Pentagon sites for UFO evidence, says the weirdest thing he found was a list of "Non-Terrestrial Officers" and fleet transfers between ships that don't exist in the U.S. Navy.

'Yeah, I looked it up,' says Gary, 'and it's nowhere. It doesn't mean little green men. What I think it means is not earth-based. I found a list of fleet-to-fleet transfers, and a list of ship names. I looked them up. They weren't U.S. navy ships. What I saw made me believe they have some kind of spaceship, off-planet.'

Please believe me. After having worked on a government contract and seeing the MAXIMUM security afforded even a low level system such as parts inventory for a shipyard, this story is a PSYOP to release information and de-sensitize people to off planet activities.

This guy had no qualifications and no tools. Even with the best of everything you ABSOLUTELY DO NOT penetrate government systems. EVER. They own you after the first try. They own the backbone. They own the DNS. The own the routers. It is their system. They invented it. They have software and technology hundreds of years in advance of anything you can buy.

In addition nothing above a certain security level would ever be connected to a public network. It would only be allowed to be connected to certain segments on a private network and they have lots of 'em. Encrypted networks that never touch a public network.

Multiple sites. Multiple security systems. Multiple dates.... and this guy waltzes through them without an alarm for months.

We believe the information uncovered is true. The Navy wants you to know this information.....

posted on Nov, 6 2007 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by DYepes

I would like to see CIA set foot in Ukraine or Russia, they will be slaughtered there haha

[edit on 6-11-2007 by Odessit]

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join