It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Super-Hacker Gary McKinnon Will Be Extradited To United States

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 04:08 PM
link   
soficrow,,,

i told you WHY.........

the republicans need him
to hack,

the NEW VOTING MACHINES.........so they can STAY in POWER

apc

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 04:43 PM
link   
soficrow, it's a few pages ago. I agree it's a pretty obscene bit of legislation.

And I know I'm out of the loop these days but... sciddie... now that's funny.

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by apc
soficrow, it's a few pages ago. I agree it's a pretty obscene bit of legislation.

Thanks apc.

From Janus: New UK-US Extradition Treaty

eeewwwww.

posted on Jul, 16 2006 @ 04:49 PM
link   
ÇFrom the new treaty:

"Under the new treaty, the allegations of the US government will be enough to secure the extradition of people from the UK. However, if the UK wants to extradite someone from the US, evidence to the standard of a "reasonable" demonstration of guilt will still be required.

No other EU countries would accept this US demand, either politically or constitutionally. Yet the UK government not only acquiesced, but did so taking advantage of arcane legislative powers to see the treaty signed and implemented without any parliamentary debate or scrutiny.

Guantanamo Bay, the failed extradition of Lofti Raissi and US contempt for the International Criminal Court make this decision to remove relevant UK safeguards all the more alarming"

This is unbelievable. You can be extradited from the UK to the US, even if your guilt is not proven yet, but the other way around it works differently...

Which country will sign a treaty like this with the U.S. next?

The Netherlands? France? Spain?

Very disturbing.

posted on Jul, 16 2006 @ 08:01 PM
link   
It may be worse than you think - and even further along. Check this out:

Controlling the Net: International Corporations Want Joint "Cybersecurity" Plan with US Government

Wanna know who's really calling the shots here?

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 11:27 AM
link   
gary mckinnon is currently on Channel 4 show Richard & Judy, I am not watching it atm have to work, but my wife tells me Richard and Judy really have no clue about the questions there asking and portraying it quite badly, well done C4 at least its some mainstream coverage..

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I really think he did his credibility no favors by appearing on the R+J show, they weren't really interested in what he allegedly found.
If he wants his case to be taken seriously he should let a respected interviewer like Martin Bashir or Trevor Mcdonald interview him.
Even Luis Thereaux would have been better.

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 11:56 AM
link   
The interview was actually pretty good.

You can't give him an hour or two, to go through: Why he did it. What he found. What this means. Why he left notes. So on and so fourth.

They allowed him to show how the law is unfair on us. They allowed him to point out what he had done and the question of damamges. It'll have done him a lot of good, especailly for the limited time that he had on the television.

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Is there a transcript of this interview online somewhere?

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 11:54 AM
link   
McKinnon should not be extradited. He should be allowed to be tried in the UK.

It's my personal belief that they're trying to "make an example" out of him, since he most likely found out a good amount of information that he wasn't supposed to have seen. I don't believe he is lying about what he found. I think the UK's sudden "UFO's don't exist" report (notice the timing to Gary's incident, how convenient...
)is a bogus wishy-washy report, in which no actual research was even done to begin with to confirm such an idea.

He is definitely not a terrorist, and should not be treated as one, or tried in court as one.

apc

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I can't find any new info on this... if everything went through he should be here by now. Last report I can find is a BBC clip stating McKinnon has appealed extradition, dated the 10th of July. Anyone else find anything more recent?

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Alright now........He hacked,yes, he used pc anywhere yes,(remote control) he used all the commands ok but the UFO's I don't think so That to me is a cover up! What he really saw they don't want him to say. I believe either they paid him off to say that or they are planning to use him to hack on our side. I do agree though that he may have been nothing but a script kittie but he obviously knew what he was doing. He was just one of the unlucky ones that got caught. I don't know what they will do with him but all I know is he is not the only one.

[edit on 28-7-2006 by payphone]

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 02:09 PM
link   
It really amazes me how people defend him just because he was looking for proof of UFOs, completely disregarding the fact that he comittied (or may have since the trial isint evne in progress yet) serious crimes. Having blank passwords is insanely stupid and the admin responisble for that should be beaten with a piece of hose but that doesn't make what he did any less of a crime.

I can't help but get the impression that in some cases its his robin-hood story and a dash of nationalist pride that make people not want him extradited to the US. The thing that bothers me about this is that it makes a dangerous situation when the country the person currently resides in chooses not to try the person for their alleged crimes. If we just sit back and let them deal with it (or not) eventually someones going to find a third world country with internet connectivity and no laws about hacking where they can do as they please free from the law. But hey, its all fine as long as your looking for UFOs right? Maybe I should remember that line the next time some misinformed wannabe admin emails my ISP abuse account with a rash of crap about me.

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I think that if he was in the UK then he should be tried there. That is where he commited the crime. If we can give free reign to ambassadors to do anything they want here with no repercussion except MAYBE getting deported then he can be tried in the UK. He NEVER was on American soil. I am not saying that he shouldn't be tried but why does the US want him so badly? Does this show that the US doesn't have faith in the UK judicial system?

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 03:06 PM
link   
my thoughts...

1. if i had anti gravity devices, aliens working for me etc, i wouldn't keep records on a poorly configured system available on the internet. it would certainly be closed circuit.

2. if a US citizen hacked into the some top secret UK government computer the US would extradite them in a second to make an example also (and make sure an example got made), proving that "you cant mess with the mighty and just alliance"

3. no matter what he was looking for, what he found, or how he gained access (with really good hacking skills or dumb luck), he still hacked a government computer.

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by jprophet420
my thoughts...

1. if i had anti gravity devices, aliens working for me etc, i wouldn't keep records on a poorly configured system available on the internet. it would certainly be closed circuit.

2. if a US citizen hacked into the some top secret UK government computer the US would extradite them in a second to make an example also (and make sure an example got made), proving that "you cant mess with the mighty and just alliance"

3. no matter what he was looking for, what he found, or how he gained access (with really good hacking skills or dumb luck), he still hacked a government computer.

Amen. You've summed up in 3 short points what all of us have been trying to say in as many pages. For that, I thank you.

TheBorg

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBorg

Originally posted by jprophet420
my thoughts...

Amen. You've summed up in 3 short points what all of us have been trying to say in as many pages. For that, I thank you.

TheBorg

You make several good points, but keep in mind the power of Microsoft Certified group think and the all too excessive mindset of lowest bidder mentality.

Then ad the fact that agencies hire paper trained administrators to oversee subordinates
with little clue of how poor their security measures really are.

Or they simply don't care because it's not their job to actually think.

They defend Microsoft because keeping Windows running keeps them employed.

All this aside, McKinnon's real crime was the fact that he got in at all.

Doing so exposed the fact that after billions of dollars have been spent
"In the Interest Of National Security" that fraud, neglect, incompetence, waste and abuse of our tax dollars is most certainly alive and well.

All that information could have been kept under military grade encryption, but the government
rarely trusts their own people.

When they do purchase encryption software, they build in administrative back doors to prevent employees from hiding certain information which in effect makes the information vulnerable.

Even if they use truly secure encryption keys, those have to be disclosed to an administrator somewhere.

So, in my view it's not what McKinnon saw of important data, but how he embarrassed those who
were being paid to prevent such occurrences.

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I have been thinking about this story for a while. It was because of Gary's antics the Solar Warden thread was started here on ATS. If something such as that were to be uncovered, then it would be VERY expensive for respective governments and agencies to try and explain to the people why a generation of missing children and trillions was used to bolster their ranks, even if it were untrue.

So yes, Gary will be made an example of. He already has admitted to using controlled substances such as pot, so the plaintiff will have no quams about taking away his so called freedom seeing that he has nothing to live for already. His punishment will be so severe it will deter future hackers from even thinking about attempting such a feat. And as an extra plus, our prison system will be able to boast incarcerating another great threat to society, so it is a win-win all the way for the state.

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeah right
food GROWS ON TREEs.....
BUT WE HAvE TO SOMEHOW PAY FOR IT RIGHT???

No man, not at all.

You've never had a vegetable garden? They're quite fun. You plant your little seeds, water em, give em sun, all that crap. Then in a bit of time Food grows right in your backyard.

You want free food, the "MAN" ain't stopping you, go plant that little garden. Growing stuff like corn, it actually tastes better too.

Pokey Oats

apc

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Bumping this thread becuase the abuse of hackers is an issue I take personally.

Here is a blog website on the issue...

freegary.org.uk...

What'd I tell yah? FREE GARY!!

I am awaiting response from a status inquiry. Unless I overlooked something in my searches, it's a little hard to discern if he was successfully extradited or if he is still in the UK. I'll post the response upon receipt.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join