It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone know of a good "work at home" job?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2006 @ 09:58 AM
link   
How about adding subtitles to TV-shows and/or movies? I don't know if there is a market for this in the US, but in Europe subtitles are common. Example: They talk in German or Spanish and there are subtitles in english. Or whatever. Just an idea. This kind of work can be done from home. How about translating the X-Files and add Spanish subtitles to it?

posted on Jul, 16 2006 @ 10:04 AM
link   
hELLMUT, i would LOVE this.

Can you direct me to the right place to check this out???

This is right up my ally since i know two languages fluently.

Please, please, give me a hint as to who i should contact, or google or whatever.

Thanks!

*All excited*

posted on Jul, 16 2006 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe

Can you direct me to the right place to check this out???

Please, please, give me a hint as to who i should contact

Sorry, I have no idea. This was just an idea on what kind of job can be done from home. I don't know how you'd get a job like this or who you would contact.

posted on Jul, 16 2006 @ 10:14 AM
link   
dgtempe/
Try the local TV channel........Call them and see if they can organize something for you.
Or if maybe you could put it into writing, and see what response you get?
Can't hurt.
good luck!

helen

posted on Jul, 16 2006 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Since you are fluent in two languages, you could possibly get some work as a freelance translator. Most translation agencies contract their jobs out.

Here's a link to check out: www.translatorscafe.com...

posted on Jul, 16 2006 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
I tried the survey route but all i got so far was tons of trojan horse viruses and i had to bring my son in to run something to clean up the mess. Be careful, make sure you have lots of protective software when you do this.

I have a ton of security. You need security no matter what you doing now adays. Where I have gotten all my free programs and major help in cleaning out my system without having to reformat is at majorgeeks.com.

They have a detailed walkthrough of what programs to get, and exactly what to to do to clean out your system. If you are still having trouble, just ask on their forum. Someone with knowledge will help. It is like contacting the geek squad and getting technical help and advice for free.

I haven't had a problem with my computer since. My free virus scanner, rated just as good if not better than some of the popular paid programs have been catching all e-mail viruses before they hit my inbox.

NFO has never given my husband any problems. I'll see about the rest of the ones I signed up with.

posted on Jul, 16 2006 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey
Since you are fluent in two languages, you could possibly get some work as a freelance translator. Most translation agencies contract their jobs out.

Here's a link to check out: www.translatorscafe.com...

The translator idea sounds like a good one if you live in an area that needs them. Adding subtitles to movies I think might be a problem unless you could get a job at a movie studio, or with some type of production company that makes various biographies, or types of movies that can be seen on the history channel.

Not only would you have to have the correct editing equipment to add words to add to DVD's, but you also are going to run into copywright laws. There were several start up businesses online that would take a DVD and edit out profanity, nudity, and anything else that was or could be objectional. The major movie industries - hollywood, werner brothers, and etc - hit them with a law suit big time. Even the ones that required an original to be bought at the stores, and they gave the original back along with the edited version. The company felt that as long as movies were originally bought and paid for there would be no problem, since everyone got their money. They were wrong. All went out of business, except one who is hanging on by a thread. The only reason is because they either blur the people in the scene and bleep the words out. They don't take out the offending scene. The industry is making appeals on the case.

I read about it in the news last week, and forget where I saw the article though.

The industry is very touchy about their movies being edited in any way, shape, or form after it has been released.

posted on Jul, 16 2006 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I did find a couple of studios that are looking for people to do subtitles from home.

There's a formal application, etc. There's also a test. I havent dedicated anytime, i just saved them under favorites for now and tomorrow, when i'm alone, i'll go thru them and submit my resume and cover letter.

Its worth a shot, and its very appealing to me. Lookout, Hollywood,

Its worth a shot, anyway.

I'll investigate all other leads you guys posted here. Thanks very much for the tips.

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Well, i just sent in a sample of my translation to a software company. I hope something comes of it. If they like me, the others will give me jobs, i hope

Wish me luck.

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Gigilo?

You know, have them come to your house.

yup

Oh, how aboutebay auctioneer?

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Wolf,

Gigolo?? hmmmm.....i'm a woman. AND i'm too tired to be a swinging housewife.

So- that's out of the question.

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 08:45 PM
link   
HI DG,
Ever so wholesome thread.
Please think twice if you wish to sell " Home Made" goodies. There are sooooo many regulation that you would spend more time meeting the requirements then creating actual produce.
I too am thinking of starting a home bussines. My plate is the out doors, landscapeing and I would like to do some willow work.
And no you are not an old fart, they (employers) hire the young and flexible (read,:"No Back Bone") They bend them inside out and they know they will have a submissive survant who will lick their A.. when required :bnghd:.
I on the other hand 43/ Female former Ships Chef Amazone will not bend over for any human being.
I am very pleasant until they try to manipulate me. I turn into a cunning wolf and get fired or frozen out.
Sorry DG I'm rambling
Good luck
WIS

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Walkinsilence,

Exactly. I wont bend either. Behind this sweet looking demeanor, lies a witch, with cauldron and the works. Maybe "they" can see thru me, i dont know.

They dont care if you have good references, look angelic, dress well, etc, they're looking at "Gee, can we mold this woman to be our servant?"

The assesment must be NO.:shk:

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 05:01 AM
link   
as far as marketing others products, there's a pretty nice directory of associate programs that you could participate in.

www.associateprograms.com...

of course, you have to find a legal way to get your advertisements out to enough people, to get enough sales to justifiy the time and energy you put into it.

don't know, but it seems some people make a living at it...

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by WalkInSilence
Please think twice if you wish to sell " Home Made" goodies. There are sooooo many regulation that you would spend more time meeting the requirements then creating actual produce.

So far as I know (and do correct me if I'm wrong), the only home-made stuff that has regulations is food.. Small businesses selling food have a very hard time making it because they simply do not have the money to invest in making their place regulatory-ily kosher, correcting the problems, or paying the fines.
However, one could play the technicality game.. make food and give it to people, and they donate money to you for your good.. Thus, they cannot get you in trouble if they get sick, and likewise, they have a tax write-off for donating.. But I'm not sure how far that can actually be carried.. (My friend's dad makes sausages.. he *will not* sell them to people because that puts him in the legal spotlight. He will, however, give them away..)

I thought about having a small bread shop, but a) people around here are so broke that I can't compete with Cumby's .99 bread, and b) I don't have the energy to deal with the regulations and all the hoot-en-any that's shackled to it. I, too, am broke!
The local farmer's market sells food.. it's only if the regulatory peeps come walking by and question you that you get into trouble. Likewise -- if it's fresh food (fruits and veggies) there are no regulations.. at least at the farmer's market, and only because it's fresh.

However, when it comes to nick nacks (frames, jewelry, clothing) I don't think there are any regulations.
The only problem is that there's not a real profit to be made in most home-made stuff.. The hours spent making the silly thing never equal out to the price you get.. It takes me a few days to knit a hat -- I could *never* ask $50 for a hat.. even if that's min. wage x 1/2 the hours taken to make it. Well, I could ask.. no one would pay it tho! I'd be lucky if I made $10.. which'd cover the yarn and needles.. not much more. (Oh! I miss the days of trade and barter!)
This is why I like jewelry.. The time spent making it isn't extreme, and I can actually make money doing it.. pennies on the proverbial dollar, but still.

Depending on what languages you're fluent in DG, check around with the welfare peeps.. There's a good number of immagrants around here (N. Adams) and the welfare offices hafta have someone who speaks their native tongue.. or.. the DMV...
(On a completely random side note -- did y'all know that English is *not* the official language of America? In fact, we have no official language! ...this explains why the driving tests are offered in any language, and no one can really say/do anything about it!)

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 01:28 PM
link   
My wife tried the survey thing, a lot of time for almost no money. Sometimes she would fill out a survey only to find out at the very end she did not “qualify”. It’s a cheap way they use to get your answers and not pay you. Be careful, it’s a time sync with little payout.

She also tried to be a mystery shopper. Not bad, but you need to be ready and available as most of them had almost no notice.

Full time Ebay ONLY works if you already have a niche, access to something most others don’t. We created our niche!

What we ultimately did was start a Tee shirt business online. There was an investment, but it was small and incremental. We spend into the business as we make it. We haven’t quite “made it” yet, but we are off to an amazing start considering I owe zero money and haven’t spent a dime on advertising yet.

My wife stays home and manages the website and Ebay sales, processes the orders, orders supplies, etc. And then I come home from my career and do the actual printing in the evenings.

After a little over a year, I own all of my equipment outright, and do a little better than break even. And that’s without any advertising or even being in the phone book. We just recently made an arrangement with a professional graphic designer to help us with designs and website content in exchange for his own line of shirts sold exclusively through our site.

Now that our site is starting to look “world class”, and we have a pro providing us with art and graphics, we are ready to take the next leap and spend some money attracting customers. I haven’t even started to solicit local business yet, which makes up the majority of screen printers business. Things are starting to fly.

I guess my point is, think out of the box and don’t entirely rule out something you know nothing about or things that may require a little bit of money. And if nobody has already mentioned: It’s not a real job if they need money from you upfront.

Check my site out at www.sillymonkeez.com and see what you too can do with a little money (less than $1000 to start) and very little effort. I would be more than happy to talk to you about the details of what’s required to do what we did.

[edit on 18-7-2006 by skippytjc]

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 06:30 PM
link   
DG - I thought of something, but since I can't edit the post, I'll throw it in.

You're near the ocean (at least closer than me) -- grab some drift wood and make frames! Especially if the picture is an oceanic something-or-another, the fact that you made it.. out of drift wood.. tis a neat detail to add.
There's a painting on our bathroom door, nothing fancy (beach scene with a seagull) but the frame is made of drift wood. That tiny detail makes me look at it twice.. never know what it might fetch on the market.

Another drop in the bucket!

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 10:25 PM
link   
skippytjc I'm finding out about that with surveys. As I said my husband did good with NFO, but the other survey sites I joined mostly tell me that I don't qualify or I only get a sweepstakes entry. I make more money being a decoy agent for hauser. They hire people to recieve ads and magazines in the mail. Then you log in to thier site, say what condition the piece came in and type in the promotion code. Not bad for 25 cent a piece. I do return some stuff to them at thier cost, and they pay me 50 cent a piece. It is low pay especially at the beginning. After three years I might get $40 every three months for little time on my part.

As far as Ebay goes, my husband is trying to find his nitch. He is looking into wholesaling, but all the places he has seen so far either have walmart or amazon prices, or it just seems something is not right with the outfit. He tried a dropship listing. It sold, but to a guy in Canada. We are going to be paying a little out of pocket for it. The dropshipper wants to start charging $14.50 a month after a 30 day trial period. The guy decided to send a money order, which hasen't arrived yet. I heard that mail through the border of Canada is now taking longer. It could be another month before we see the money order. On top of that, I have been reading how people can scam others through money orders and that if it is a fraud, the authorities or bank will come after you for the fradulant money that you more than likely already spent and now no longer have.
:bnghd:

Edited to add to this rant, that when the money order arrives who knows if this dropshipper will even still have the item. Who knows if the money order will even arrive. This could be a negative.

My mom is an antique dealer. My parents started over twenty years ago. They went to garage sales and estate sales, bought items, then went to flea markets to sell them. They got a feel for the market, and studied in their feild by buying current antique books and looking what the average selling prices were for different items. After awhile they started to go to antique sales, started doing appraisals, and even taught some classes in a college on the subject. At one point they did own a shop, but are now back doing shows. My mom loves this stuff. It seems like it was embreaded into her. My dad went along, since he knew they needed the money.

Now she is asking me to start auctioning some items on Ebay. She is trying to build up her feedback, so she has given me items that are not worth much to start at 99 cents each. One auction busted, and I sold two Italian horn necklaces for 99 cents and $2.00 shipping. I have three more auctions, and I'll have to wait to see how they do. Right now it seems like it really isn't worth it, but she said if the smaller items sell, then she will try some more expensive items. Then again maybe I'm too through in my descriptions that I would turn people away. On the other hand, I don't want someone coming back on me and complaining that I didn't mention this nick or that scratch.

When ebay was new, I did try to sell. My first auction a horse head planter the buyer complained about a 1mm nick that was hard to find. They sent me a picture, and they had to circle the spot where the nick was. They demanded a full refund. I ended up letting the keep the item if they would accept a refund for the price of the item only. First auction, first netrual. After that I did all right, but my husband complained that I was only making pennies for the items I was selling. Of course he didn't complain when I bought a pitcher for $2.00 and sold it for $75 later on, but he called that an exception. He's changed since then. I don't know if he hasen't said a word because he has changed, or I'm doing this for my mom.

My mom found another nitch becoming a distributor selling artifical fruits and vegetables. To tell you the truth, I see why they sell well, and many people place big orders. They really do look real. Most of the time I have to pick them up and feel them to tell the difference.

Now if my husband can just find a realiable wholesale nitch for e-bay where the products sell well.... Maybe he is just looking in the wrong direction. I'm glad the tee shirts are working out very well for you though.

[edit on 4-8-2006 by Mystery_Lady]

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 10:29 PM
link   
i work at home... i sell airsoft guns an other stuff

...anyone need a airsoft rifle. 250 fps

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join